It has arrived!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2368

It has arrived!

Post by guest2368 »

After a long two month wait my new RT has arrived!!

Picked her up today, but not going to get much of a chance to ride it today - but the weekend starts tomorrow.

More pix and a wee write up next week....

guest2360

Re: It has arrived!

Post by guest2360 »

Looks very nice.  Would suggest you invest in some head guards.  BMWs own are quality items and you have to look twice to see they are there. Much better than half the Forth bridge clamped on. I also fitted a Pyramid extender fender.  Not a lot of money and will keep those Scottish granite stone chips off the front engine cover.
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

Extender is high on the list, only done 40 odd miles on dry roads and already the engine front cover is filthy...
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

A few thoughts on the RT now I've got a couple of hundred miles on here...

http://www.sofnolime.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/a-couple-of-hundred-miles.html?m=1
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Did very much the same route at the beginning of the month.  30 of us stayed in Oban for 4 dry days.  How come not even close to an adventure bike? With a alleged top speed of 145mph its not far behind many sports bikes. 
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

4 dry days in Oban, the planets must have been in a 5000 year alignment! I test drove a few adventure bikes before buying the RT and the RT is so much smother and comfy than any of them, bar the Crosstourer which has the smoothest engine of all the bikes I tried. I did have regular use of a Blackbird in the past couple of years and top speed isn't everything. There is no way the RT will go as quick on some of the roads that I drive as the Blackbird, but I finding the RT is going to be the perfect compromise...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Is the correct answer to all my questions.  I'v just swapped from 2 1600 GTLs and speed isn't everything and probably not engine smoothness either, one needs a bit of character.  We come to Scotland every year as a group from Pidcocks in Long Eaton.  Already booked for 3 days in Drymen but having problems finding a second one in the Cairngorms for another 3 days.  Any ideas, need 15 double and 5 single rooms. 
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

I have stayed at the Cairngorm Hotel & the Coylumbridge Hilton in Aviemore. Both were good and not as expensive as you my think. In inverness I have only stayed in the travelodge. If you have not seen it, have a look at a website called undiscovered Scotland, they have a good guide to accommodation when you select an area...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Thanks very much, I will have a look.  Just been out round Rutland water with a mate on a 2007 1200RT.  Cant believe how much smaller and lower mine looked.  MPG figures for 90 miles was very interesting as well 2007  48 mpg.  2015 58 mpg.  Both 2 up all on A roads.
Pope

Post by Pope »

sofnolime wrote: A few thoughts on the RT now I've got a couple of hundred miles on here...

http://www.sofnolime.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/a-couple-of-hundred-miles.html?m=1

good ride report there. glad that you're enjoying the new bike.....5000 miles on mine now, and it just gets better and better.

Having just returned from a 1600 mile blast around France on the RT, the only think to overtake me, was a Hayabusa (not counting the crazy scooters in Paris  :o [size=78%]).[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]The RT might not be a sports bike, but it can sure lift its skirts and play with them.[/size]

Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

Managed to get a out a bit yesterday and went for a decent run again this morning. Went from Linlithgow out to Callander, Lochearnhead back through St. Fillans, Gleneagles & back over the new Clackmannanshire bridge. Engine & gearbox feel a lot better now the bike has around 500 miles on it. I suspect it has a lot to do with me getting used to it as well, but it feels really sweet now and it just keeps getting better.... especially on the road up the side of Loch Lubnaig  8)  I must remember to stop occasionally and get some pix though :o
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I so envy you riding around up there,  it's a beautiful part of the world with many great roads
Yes...  Some pictures please  :)