Just a few quick questions

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
step2534

Just a few quick questions

Post by step2534 »

What tyre pressures are you running at fully loaded with passenger ???
Ive tried 38 front 46 rear, seemed a bit hard

What exactly was the problem with the suspension on the new models ???

How reliable is  ESA?? on my last RT I had a manual shock and it lasted 52,000 miles, can I expect this from ESA ??  If ESA packed up can I replace it with a manual shock ??

What exactly does the restrictor do in the exhaust, (that butterfly flap just before the silencer) ??

Thanks in anticipation
guest2360

Re: Just a few quick questions

Post by guest2360 »

Front 36 (2.5) Rear 42 (2.9) all loads.
The problem was a component in the rear shock semi active part. Not fitted to any other model. Problem now gone away.
I have had ESA since 2005 with no problems at all . You could probably remove the whole system but it would probably be cheaper to swap the whole bike .
The thing in the exhaust is apparently to get round the noise restrictions. .  I think I remember Yamaha had the same kind of thing once.  They claimed double hp when it opened or something like that.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
step2534

Re: Just a few quick questions

Post by step2534 »

RT man10  Thanks,

I will try 36,42,  we are going to Durham this Saturday for a night so will try it then.

ESA cost  is frightening, Ive seen  or read about folks paying £ 3000 to get new units I think the manual one I changed was £650 fitted.
But theres a company called Firefox Racing at Keighley and they are advertising re conditioning ESA units for  £179 + vat  Hope it never comes to that, fingers crossed.

That noise restriction makes sense, my mate reckons my bike sounds awful when it first sets off, then sounds fantastic when its accelerating and under power. Just somat else to go wrong, I suppose if it did it would be in the closed position not the open one.  Ah well that's BMW I suppose

Thanks for reply