Fresh blood! Considering purchasing an RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jhandfield

Fresh blood! Considering purchasing an RT

Post by jhandfield »

Hello! I'm a current Suzuki V-Strom 1000 rider who has realized his touring doesn't often include "adventure" as the V-Strom / GS crowd considers it and has started looking more towards a comfortable road tourer instead. After stopping off at a local BMW dealer a month back I saw a 1200RT in the showroom in the Biarritz blue color and it was pretty much love at first sight. Having done some more research I'm getting close to pulling the trigger and trading in the Strom - in my research I came across this forum and wondered if I could impose upon you all a few questions:

As much as I would love a new 2015, I'm not sure I can justify (yet) owning a bike worth more than my car was new... So I'm at the moment considering a pair of used 2010's the dealer has, one with 25k miles and another with 45k. Not knowing a whole lot about these bikes mechanically yet, are there any common issues with these bikes I should be looking for on inspection? Best I can tell they're asking about top of the market for these bikes ($14k & $13k, espectively) and I want to be sure I've got my bases covered. Any other advice you all might have for a possible new owner?

Many thanks in advance!
guest2360

Re: Fresh blood! Considering purchasing an RT

Post by guest2360 »

For the money I would suggest the lower mileage one.  Its then just down to condition and service history.  The engine changed on the 2010 model so check they are not 2009 bikes registered late. Get the dealer/seller to explain in detail their specs as they can vary a lot, ie ESA, Traction Control luggage.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

RTman10 wrote: For the money I would suggest the lower mileage one.  Its then just down to condition and service history.  The engine changed on the 2010 model so check they are not 2009 bikes registered late. Get the dealer/seller to explain in detail their specs as they can vary a lot, ie ESA, Traction Control luggage.

I fully agree with RTman10, I managed to find a low mileage  (5k ) 2012 SE with Audio & top box, by just searching around then `haggling' a deal.    8)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
dr j

Post by dr j »

bmw made so many improvments to the 014 model that i think you would be well advised to look at one. if the price bothers you just think how long it will last(much longer than you car). also there are a lot of dealers that have buy backs with really low mileage for huge discounts.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

dr j is correct.  There is a massive difference and
of course the new one will devalue much less over the years.  Getting hold of one that was rejected due to the shock problems I think might be difficult.  Back in September in UK BMW gave all dealers the chance to bid for them.  I understand most were sold for not much less than the new price.   
dr j

Post by dr j »

actually, on this side of the pond(the good old u.s.of a.) there are quite a few dealers with buy backs and they are pretty well discounted.ie,2014 rt12r, pretty well upfitted, 1800 miles, remainder of factory warranty for $18500.00(usd). really not a bad deal. sure is tempting me as i would like upgrade from my 2001 k12lt.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Snap it up quick.
bmwdean

Post by bmwdean »

I agree with looking for a 2014 RT, because the 2015s are out and discounts on 2014s are available.

Other than that, you cannot go wrong with a good, low mileage, well-cared-for RT from 2007 or newer.  Avoid pre-2007 models.
Jeff Dean -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm  -- Tucson, AZ, Madison, WI.  BMW RTs:  2015 R1200RT --  2007 R1200RT
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Agreed. Except for the addition of keyless ignition at extra cost and 1 colour change I know of no difference between 14 and 15 bikes. I had keyless ignition on a 1600 Exclusive. Definitely worth avoiding, its not that good, and security suspect.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhandfield

Post by jhandfield »

Thank you all, this is excellent and definitely helpful, though perhaps not so much for my poor wallet... Having done a little more digging around I have found a few dealers up in New Hampshire that seem to have a fair number of 2014s (some low-mileage used, others still new) that are definitely tempting, probably going to take a trip north after work on Friday to check a few out, maybe see what sort of competition I can get going. Happy to see Givi does make a (seemingly) compatible plate for my V46 topcase, saves me the $1,500 for the BMW version!

The only downside of buying now will be the torture of having it sitting in the garage looking longingly at me all winter, waiting for riding weather to return to New England...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you get the chance have a back to back test ride on the two types. Your mind will then be made up for sure.
jhandfield

Post by jhandfield »

Just an update for anyone interested, I took a trip out to a dealer today advertising a trio of new 2014's and got to take one for a test ride. The bike certainly took some getting used to over to my Strom (riding that is nearly a full-body workout at times) but being a slow day they let me run the test route 2 or 3 times to get some extra saddle time on it, and in the end it wouldn't be unfair to say I'm in love... It felt amazingly light for being 200lbs heavier than my Strom and the electronic throttle took some getting used to but was very cool once I adapted, and the transmission is a dream... I think my only complaint (which I'm sure I'll get over in time) is that it seemed really reluctant to let me lean the bike - my Strom I can almost go down to a knee if I want to, but the 1200 felt like I really would really rather I just turn the bars even at speed and leave it at that. Perhaps a style distinction between a dual sport and a proper tourer?

Either way, the deal I was quoted from the dealer is decent, I'm giving myself the night/weekend to sleep on it and get things in order then I believe I'll be putting a deposit down on an ebony '14 with a whopping 5 miles on it. A bit more than I'd planned on spending going in, but that's how most of my car and bike purchases go, so I shouldn't be surprised by this any more!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Good on you.  Its probably the telelever front end that gives you the impressions its reluctant tom turn.  Fly by wire drove most of us mad when it first came out but after a bit you will wonder how you managed without it. Lets hope your winter isn't too long. Just remember it has Linbus wiring so talk to your dealer about battery charging.
jhandfield

Post by jhandfield »

Well, today was the day! A balmy 37 °F when I left the dealer with my very own '14 in the ebony black paint. Had a very nice ride back south to the warmer climes (43 °F!) of home, between the heated grips, seat, and the size of the windshield I was amazingly comfortable (I wouldn't quite go so far as to say warm) even on the highway!

Naturally, the forecast for the next week is calling for a fair amount of rain and near-freezing temperatures (to be fair, it IS mid-to-late fall I suppose) but hopefully I can still sneak some riding in here and there. Being a bit behind the times on battery tech (last bike I kept over a winter used an old wet cell battery) should I plan to remove the battery from the bike while it sits in an unheated (not unheard of to drop below 0 °°F) garage over the winter, or is it fine to keep it in the bike out in the cold with a tender hooked to it?
Attachments
IMG_0095.jpg
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Well done you, it looks great and all the goodies as well.  Lets hope your weather gives you some ride time. My advice on the battery is leave it on and now and again connect w charger. Just remember the bike has Linbus wiring and will not except some chargers.  If you connect a charger directly to the battery most will work but through the accessory socket you need the BMW one.  These can be left on permanently. Having said that mine sat for nearly 3 months waiting for its new rear shock and the battery didn't run down at all. 
You will find some advice on your audio system on this forum and a lot more on the K1600 sister forum.   
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.