Fuel Stabilizer

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Fuel Stabilizer

Post by David. »

timminator wrote:The dealership also gave me a small bottle of BMW brand Injector cleaner and instructed me to use the entire bottle at the 3000mi mark.
Did the US BMW Motorrad dealer give any reason(s) why they recommended the use of a fuel additive.
Last edited by David. on Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Think the first sentence on the bottle label answered your question. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

What are deemed as "lower quality gasolines".
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

timminator wrote: Could fuel stabilizer be the next "oil" thread?  It's about time we got some new controversy started!  :beee:

I think we're there already
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I think you need to practice quoting, your responses always end up in the quoted text, so its difficult to pick out what you are saying.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I'm in the 'fuel only' camp.  Being a perverse soul, I usually run the tank down before winter and then either go straight to the nearest forecourt or fill up from a can of fresh fuel.  This has worked fine for me on the last few bikes when leaving it in the garage through winter.  No problems yet.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Put the Millers Tank Safe in today after having been to Sunderland & back, (about 70 miles),  before brimming the tank at Tesco, then riding a few miles home to get the mix into the fuel system & not just the tank.
Last edited by David. on Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Millers tank safe seems to be an anti corrosion product.  Don't see how that will help in an RT that has a non metallic tank and there is practically no fuel in the injection system when you switch off.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

timminator wrote: Could fuel stabilizer be the next "oil" thread?  It's about time we got some new controversy started!  :beee:

Even if stabiliser is the next oil, it won't be as much fun as the tyre-pressure threads...

:))
wethead

Post by wethead »

When I bought my 2016 wet, the saleman handed me a little black bottle of fuel stabilizer and told me that BMW now recommends you put it in the tank every 6k or so.

Another service manager told me that was not necessary.

Now I am confused: to stabilize or not to stabilize
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

They do not.  The opposite is true. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

wethead wrote:When I bought my 2016 wet, the saleman handed me a little black bottle of fuel stabilizer and told me that BMW now recommends you put it in the tank every 6k or so.

Another service manager told me that was not necessary.
That could be the confusion, salesman v's service manager.

Once bought a car & the salesman didn't know whether it ran on leaded or unleaded fuel, he only sold them.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

A little black bottle in the tank every 6K. That's about 24 tanks of fuel.  How does it manage to keep going for the 23 tanks that don't get it. At best it will all be gone after 3 refills.  It's just a con.  How much would the second bottle cost you.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

wethead wrote:When I bought my 2016 wet, the saleman handed me a little black bottle of fuel stabilizer and told me that BMW now recommends you put it in the tank every 6k or so.
Was the LBB a fuel stabilizer or a fuel system cleaner.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/product_ ... qi3qlhfm00
Last edited by David. on Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

DaygloDavid wrote: Recently bought a Ride Mag. (January 2015),there is an article on how to prepare your bike for winter hibernation.
"Petrol goes off in a couple of months, causing lots of problems, especially with the modern levels of ethanol used.
Either drain your system completely, or use a fuel stabilizer and brim the tank to remove air."
I normally brim the tank & just leave it, but this article has set a seed of doubt in my mind.
After speaking to OPIE oils, have decided to purchase some Millers Oils Tank Safe,
http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive ... r=Classics.
Yes, OPIE sell it, http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69300-mille ... itive.aspx,
but have found a local stockist, (via Millers website) which is nearly half the price when OPIE include p&p.
I remember reading the same article in a 1970's magazine - It was sponsored by Redex.  8)