Fuel Stabilizer

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Fuel Stabilizer

Post by David. »

Recently bought a Ride Mag. (January 2015), there is an article on how to prepare your bike for winter hibernation.

"Petrol goes off in a couple of months, causing lots of problems, especially with the modern levels of ethanol used.
Either drain your system completely, or use a fuel stabilizer and brim the tank to remove air."

I normally brim the tank & just leave it, but this article has set a seed of doubt in my mind.

After speaking to OPIE oils, have decided to purchase some Millers Oils Tank Safe,
http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive ... r=Classics.

Yes, OPIE sell it, http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69300-mille ... itive.aspx,
but have found a local stockist, (via Millers website) which is nearly half the price when OPIE include p&p.

Last edited by David. on Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Re: Fuel Stabilizer

Post by guest2360 »

My bike sat for nearly 3 months with a nearly full tank during the recall. Had no effect on the fuel that I could tell. So nothing going through my fuel system except petrol.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Matt Hull wrote the article, he is the Technical Editor for Ride Mag.

He can be contacted on 01733 468015 or email: [email protected]

"Quality gasoline should be stable almost indefinitely if stored properly. Such storage should be in an airtight container (to prevent oxidation or water vapors mixing) that can withstand the vapor pressure of the gasoline without venting ( to prevent the loss of the more volatile fractions) at a stable cool temperature (to reduce the excess pressure from liquid expansion, and to reduce the rate of any decomposition reactions). When gasoline is not stored correctly, gums and solids may be created, which can corrode system components and accumulate on wetted surfaces, resulting in a condition called "stale fuel". Gasoline containing ethanol is especially subject to absorbing atmospheric moisture, then forming gums, solids, or two phases (a hydrocarbon phase floating on top of a water-alcohol phase).

The presence of these degradation products in fuel tank, lines, carburetor or fuel injection components makes it harder to start the engine, or causes reduced engine performance. On resumption of regular engine use, the buildup is often eventually cleaned out by the flow of fresh gasoline. The addition of a fuel stabilizer to gasoline can extend the life of fuel that is not or cannot be stored properly. Some typical fuel stabilizers are proprietary mixtures containing mineral spirits, isopropyl alcohol, 1,2,4-trimethylbenzene,or other additives. Fuel stabilizer is commonly used for small engines, such as lawnmower and tractor engines, especially when their use is seasonal (low to no use for one or more seasons of the year). Users have been advised to keep gasoline containers more than half full and properly capped to reduce air exposure, to avoid storage at high temperatures, to run an engine for ten minutes to circulate the stabilizer through all components prior to storage, and to run the engine at intervals to purge stale fuel from the carburetor."
Last edited by David. on Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Fuel Stabilizer added to both bikes & carbs. drained on the Yamaha.

Andy is a local stockist in the Middlesbrough area, he also attends some Autojumbles, (e.g. Lincoln on the last Saturday of every month).

Tel: 07931 770494, he stocks Millers & Morris Oils products amongst others.
Last edited by David. on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found this on a BMW Motorrad site, STA-BIL Concentrated Fuel Stabilizer 4 oz,

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/product_ ... 30050-p-51
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

I've been using Sta-Bil in all of my Bikes and Boats ( Mowers, Generators, Blowers and Snow Blowers) for probably 30 years. Run the tanks down, add proper amount of Stabil and top up with fresh fuel.

I've never had any problems with long term storage when it's time to fire any of them up again. Seems like pretty cheap insurance to me. I've never had a gummed up carb or bad fuel after laying up.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Modern fuels, modern fuel injection systems.  IMO Don't put anything in the tank but fuel. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:Fuel Stabilizer added to both bikes & carbs. drained on the Yamaha.
Well, I'm pleased to be able to say that yesterday, I "Pushed the Button" on the Yamaha XJ650 & it started at the first attempt.

Hopefully will be able to say the same of the RT on 1st April, when it will have been stood for 6 months.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Alternatively, you could just ride the bike all year round and avoid the issue!

:enjoying: :enjoying:
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

richardbd wrote: Alternatively, you could just ride the bike all year round and avoid the issue!

+ 1 :beee:
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Millers Tank Safe is available from Halfords for £5.99, http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine ... fuel-250ml
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

Been riding over 40 years, never used additives on bikes that have been garaged over winter (5 months) and never had any problems.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I agree, a waste of money. With fuel injection anyway.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Soon be the start of the waking the bike up thread, as lay up for winter is approaching.  >:D
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

richardbd wrote: Alternatively, you could just ride the bike all year round and avoid the issue!
+1
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.