To ACF50 or not to ACF50

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: To ACF50 or not to ACF50

Post by David. »

Budman wrote:What does the ACF50 cost to have done?
£65 by All Year Biker, http://allyearbiker.co.uk/, not aware of any Operators outside of the UK.
Budman

Post by Budman »

$74 US is very reasonable to have a bike "detailed" like that. Having now read what I can find about ACF50 Im going to have to get some and see how it does on some rusty things around the house.

Thanks for the information!

Bud
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

ACF-50 must be good because, "The US Navy carried out tests using ACF-50 on the jets on their Aircraft Carriers. They found that ACF-50 so significantly reduced the corrosion they had previously experienced they now use ACF-50 all the time!"
Pope

Post by Pope »

My local dealer ACF50'd my RT last December, and i've just properly washed it all off.

My bike looks like new again....good stuff. [size=78%] [/size]
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
Chad

Post by Chad »

Reading the information I got with my LC, BMW actually recommend ACF50. So I heard, if the bike hasn't been cleaned & protected in accordance with their guidance they can refuse to honour warranty work for corrosion. (The sales man from the dealership mentioned this to me). I also read that cold water only should be used on salt covered bikes as hot water accelerates the corrosive effect. Oh and don't use pressure washers. And put the bike in a heated garage! On the other hand we could just buy a Honda for half the price & not have the issues with paint flaking or clinch bolts snapping... lol.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

All Year Biker now provide their Customers with a "Certificate of Treatment" & state that,

"HaloSmart Protect is recognised as an effective long term protection treatment and recommended by several leading Dealerships across the UK including:"

Ducati Conventry, Triumph Staffordshire, Honda LLoyd & BMW Cooper Sunderland.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

`Muc-Off'  is fine to use now,  as explained by DaygloDavid,  just only leave it on for a few minutes to work,  then rinse off......... :whistle:
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

stelyn wrote:   `Muc-Off'  is fine to use now,  as explained by DaygloDavid,  just only leave it on for a few minutes to work,  then rinse off......... :whistle:

I have known of incidents where warranty for corrosion has been refused by BMW because Muck Off  has been used. It corrodes alloy parts normally around bolt holes where you cant fully wash it off. Only seen it happen on GSs but.
Best way ever to stop salt damage is lots if cold water as soon as possible.
As for BMW recommending ACF 50, like to see that in writing.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Preparing your bike for winter | Test | Motorcyclenews.com https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJKGvpXPYuw

Motorbike Cleaning with Muc-Off https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXBtOhJ2hcc
Last edited by David. on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

Post by Chad »

RTman10 wrote: As for BMW recommending ACF 50, like to see that in writing.

Here you go. ACF50 recommended in Writing, courtesy of Wiiliams BMW Manchester.
Attachments
image.jpg
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Not in my eyes it doesn't.  They say BMW recommend the Castrol stuff.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Vines of Guildford offer an ACF-50 Treatment.

Have also seen All Year Biker working at Cooper Sunderland.
Last edited by David. on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Given that Coopers, Vines and Wiiliams BMW main dealers all advocate the use of ACF50 I think it's safe to assume it is an approved substance. Otherwise these dealers would have a bit of a problem on their hands when the claims start coming in...
I for one will be following the advice from my dealer and use ACF. I'm also satisfied from my own systematic reviews of the independant evidence that this is amongst the best substance available to the public.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Three dealers might be selling it and recommending it but that doesn't make it a BMW recommended product.  Im sure its good stuff but you wont find it being endorsed by BMW directly. They seem just to recommend lots of water and their own branded cleaning products.. . . 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Whether ACF50 is approved or not is a shame we are even discussing it. Question, do we treat our cars with ACF50, with manufacturing warnings of wash salt off immediately after use or else.... Incredible how we can drive many miles in all weather and our cars still look good. Why do we except our bikes to be made in such a crap fashion. The BMW option I would like to see would be the anti-corrosion option with 10 year paint warranty. Now that would be worth having. Back in the real world better go and check the bike in the garage and see if it still OK.