Metzelers Z8

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Levisp

Metzelers Z8

Post by Levisp »

Hi all just bought a pair of Z8 for £184 inc VAT and Delivery from

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre/metzeler-roadtec-z8-interact

I've used this company 3 times now for tyres and have always been very impressed with their service and price.

Website is shit not the easiest to navigate. ( Oponeo website not this website )
Last edited by Levisp on Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
STeinar

Re: Metzelers Z8

Post by STeinar »

Thank you Levisp - price is good, but to far away for me in Norway  ;)

But from your comment "Website is shit not the easiest to navigate." - How or what could be done to help the navigation - What could be done differently ?
Any hint is appreciated. 

STeinar
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

HI

Tyres did not come from UK but started their journey from DPD just North of Eindhoven

DPD (Nederland) B.V.[/font]Tormentil 10NL 5684PK Best

Took 3 days from order to delivery to UK. I think thats efficient.

My comment regrading the website refers to the Oponeo website NOT this site. Sorry for the confusion.

The Oponeo website is very clunky to find a particular tyre make. Try looking for Z8 The default home page Oponeo.co.uk goes to a page referring to car tyres. Not obvious from this that they sell motorcycle tyres. Scroll down the page to the bottom and there is a link to motorcycle tyres if you look hard enough. From this page the fun starts to find Z8. When you do find the page they list 6 tyres of size 180/55. You then have to select each one in turn to find the specification for your bike e.g. RT is type C. This information should be in the link. Rant over ! Feel better now ;D
Last edited by Levisp on Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Are these the tyres you purchased, they list 4 front 120/70 tyres, E, F, M & Standard version codes.

Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact 120/70 ZR17 (58 W) Front TL M/C (Standard):- http://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-detai ... c#77908231

Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact 180/55 ZR17 (73 W) Rear TL M/C (C):- http://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-detai ... c#78589953
Last edited by David. on Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

David the front tyre was type M.

These are what BMW specify for Metzelers on R 1200RT K52
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Thank you, the Standard Spec. Front is for R 1200RT, K26 Model code: 0430.

BMW recommended Tyre Options:- http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/inde ... _main.html

Front M Spec. for R 1200RT K52:- http://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-detai ... m#77496785

Is there a discount if you buy a pair?
Last edited by David. on Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

No problem. My Conti's have done 5000 miles of which half has been two up and the front is still good but the rear has squared off with 3 mm remaining. Dying to fit the Z8s. However I'm going to clock up a few more miles maybe fit them when I do the 6K service or when the rear hits 2 mm.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Do you fit your own tyres?
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Yes. Its not that hard with the right hand tools.
Last edited by Levisp on Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Interesting.  My RT came with Metzelers fitted.  I'm probably going to replace them with Pilot Road 4s when they wear out.  I can't really explain why (the Metzleers haven't given me any reason to mistrust them) but I just feel better on PR4s...

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Well finally got round to fitting Z8. Spent all day on Wed in the garage fitting the tyres and cleaning all those areas where you only have access to when the wheels are off. The OEM Contis lasted 6630 miles. Could have gone to 7K but decided to change before the cold snap reached the South. Thursday the roads were dry so went for a tyre scrubbing session. Tyres felt good but new tyres always do, time well tell if they are any better than the Conti Road Attack 2s.

Just for information one of the jobs I did was clean and check the brakes. Front pads were fine but the rear are nearly worn out. Probably have to replace mine by 8K max. I'm light on brakes so surprised on the wear rate. If your heavy on the brakes then I don't think the rear pads would last between services. Maybe something LC owners should check regularly.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Surprised about the back brake wear. Do you regularly use it independently ie not on the hand lever.   
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTMan10 I do use the back brake from 10 mph to stop rather than the front because I find it smoother. But otherwise do not use it excessively. I tend to be a smooth rider planning well ahead so I consider myself light on brakes. Use a lot of engine braking. However the brakes are linked so my understanding is that anytime you use the front brake the rear is used too. I guess this is why it wears so fast.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You are quite right, use the front and the back is applied as well but only marginally.  Its using just the back that seems to wear it rapidly. It is after all doing the work of 3 brakes.  Ask any GS owner, they seem to get through them in no time. 
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

RTman10 wrote: You are quite right, use the front and the back is applied as well but only marginally.  Its using just the back that seems to wear it rapidly. It is after all doing the work of 3 brakes.  Ask any GS owner, they seem to get through them in no time.

Mmm! interesting you have reminded me the RT has interlinked braking I do seem to ride old school i.e. Front brake at high speed back brake slow manoeuvres. You say if you use the back brake independently you wear the pads out quicker? Does that mean slow manoeuvres I use my front brake only? In which case why have a back brake? I do like my back brake