Metzelers Z8

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
guest2360

Re: Metzelers Z8

Post by guest2360 »

Levisp wrote: Hill start assist banned ! No just my little joke after reading the Cleveland RoADAR info.
Just had a look.  Life's not long enough to take it all in.
User avatar
Levisp
Posts: 1114
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:57 pm

Re: Metzelers Z8

Post by Levisp »

I Know it made my head hurt  :thinking:
User avatar
stelyn
Posts: 525
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:17 pm

Re: Metzelers Z8

Post by stelyn »

Levisp wrote: I Know it made my head hurt  :thinking:
    SNAP.... :-\
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Re: Metzelers Z8

Post by guest2360 »

Right, Any further discussions of  brake pads, hill starting or legs down is banned for the rest of the weekend PLEASE.
User avatar
richardbd
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:40 pm
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Metzelers Z8

Post by richardbd »

I really like the hill-start widget.  Didn't think I would but I do...


Took me a while to get used to the way it starts moving just when you think it's going to stall but once you get used to it, I think it's really cool.



Still trying to work out why the icon on the dash is yellow sometimes and white others though - maybe I should RTFM!!!
guest2360

Re: Metzelers Z8

Post by guest2360 »

Let us know when you have, Iv not noticed it did that.
Just had a look, cant find any mention of colour change to the icon. Its a mystery. See page 67 and 100.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
richardbd
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:40 pm
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Metzelers Z8

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Let us know when you have, Iv not noticed it did that.

will do!
User avatar
Levisp
Posts: 1114
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:57 pm

Re: Metzelers Z8

Post by Levisp »


Front M Spec. for R 1200RT K52:- http://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-details/metzeler-roadtec-z8-interact-120-70zr17-58-w-front-tl-m-c-m#77496785

Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact 180/55 ZR17 (73 W) Rear TL M/C (C):- http://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-details/metzeler-roadtec-z8-interact-180-55zr17-73-w-rear-tl-m-c-c#78589953


I see the price has gone done £172 for a pair.
Last edited by Levisp on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Re: Metzelers Z8

Post by guest2360 »

If you pull the front lever you are always using both brakes.  Its not possible just to use the back.  All RTs have been like that since 2005. On the 1150s they were fully linked and if you just pressed lightly on the foot brake when going slowly you tended to stop dead. 
I trust in the bikes technology to judge how much power to apply to the back one so only use the back independently at a stand still.  With the LC I don't even need to do that any more. PS Don't care what all the "experts" say, it works for me. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Re: Metzelers Z8

Post by guest2360 »

RTman10 wrote: If you pull the front lever you are always using both brakes.  Its not possible just to use the back.  All RTs have been like that since 2005. On the 1150s they were fully linked and if you just pressed lightly on the foot brake when going slowly you tended to stop dead. 
I trust in the bikes technology to judge how much power to apply to the back one so only use the back independently at a stand still.  With the LC I don't even need to do that any more. PS Don't care what all the "experts" say, it works for me.

Oops.  Commented on the last thread in page 1. 
User avatar
Levisp
Posts: 1114
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:57 pm

Re: Metzelers Z8

Post by Levisp »

Not sure thats quite correct. My understanding is that the front and rear brakes are linked only when using the front brake lever. The amount of front to rear brake is controlled by the ABS computer. However the rear brake can be applied by itself using the foot brake.
guest2360

Re: Metzelers Z8

Post by guest2360 »

Levisp wrote: Not sure thats quite correct. My understanding is that the front and rear brakes are linked only when using the front brake lever. The amount of front to rear brake is controlled by the ABS computer. However the rear brake can be applied by itself using the foot brake.
That's correct.  If you use the hand lever you will always use both brakes.  The back only works by its self on the foot lever.
User avatar
Levisp
Posts: 1114
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:57 pm

Re: Metzelers Z8

Post by Levisp »

Thank goodness for that thought I was losing it. Your comment "Its not possible just to use the back" threw me.
User avatar
David.
Posts: 7435
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 148 times
Great Britain

Re: Metzelers Z8

Post by David. »

Looks like Z8's can suffer the same problems as Z6's, that is, they can go down to the cords without too much warning,
http://www.gaijinriders.com/showthread. ... act-Review.
User avatar
David.
Posts: 7435
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 148 times
Great Britain

Re: Metzelers Z8

Post by David. »

Metzeler Roadtec Z8 & Z6 for comparison.

Image Image
Last edited by David. on Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply