Valuation shock

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Valuation shock

Post by beemerbaz »

Visited local BMW dealership with a friend who was sorting out other business and whilst there I thought I would kill some time and hypothetically get a value on mine against a K16GTSE.

My 90th Anniversary RT is 14 months old with all extras except alarm and radio, full BMWSH etcetera, 8000 miles on the clock. Original purchase price  £14500 and bearing in mind a similar one is for sale at Pidcocks right now for £12500 I was slightly taken aback at a book price of £8900 although was offered up to £9500. Not a bad markup if they sell at that price. Private sales must be the way to go in this case. Then I have another £1000 of accessories to sell too.

Wouldn't it be nice to find a GTSE owner who wants to come the opposite way and swap for an RT of similar value [emoji12]
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
guest2360

Re: Valuation shock

Post by guest2360 »

That shouldn't be too difficult.  Depreciation on the Ks is more than the  Rs. I got £10500 for my GTLE when it was 2 1/2 years old. That was thorough a dealer as part ex . 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Depreciation on new bikes is shocking however dealer costs are too and thats have the problem. Providing my RT LC remains reliable then I'm planning on keeping her for a long time. My bike is 3 months old, clocked up 5000 miles, is still immaculate and have probably lost £3k in depreciation. Looking at secondhand values the cheapest RT start at around £3K so if I keep mine for 12 years look after her then maybe I can keep the depreciation to something like £1000 / year. Thats cheap for all the smiles the bike gives me ;D
step2534

Post by step2534 »

I totally agree Private, low mileage has got to be the way to go. Lets be honest they mostly all have full service history and to be fair they are all in good nick. I reckon that's cos they appeal to us older riders who tend to look after them.

I saved nearly £2000 on my last buy, plus I sold my 05 RT for £2100 more than a dealer offered, (well he didn't really offer me anything it was what I would have had to pay for the one I was interested in)

Someones got to pay for fancy showroom 3 managers 3 salesmen and all the hangers on, unfortunately its us.

But same as I said in a previous post, they can shove it Im off independent (after all its a motorbike not a space shuttle)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That will be a quarter of a million miles after 12 years.  Some going.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Blimey your right I must stop riding the bike and instead keep it the the garage and just look at it :P

Seriously I'm going to average 15K miles / year so that would make 180K. Will RTs do that sort of milage?
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Post by beemerbaz »

Might need a service by then and be good for another 100k
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Levisp wrote: Blimey your right I must stop riding the bike and instead keep it the the garage and just look at it :P

Seriously I'm going to average 15K miles / year so that would make 180K. Will RTs do that sort of milage?
I know of a 1100RT that spent its first 4 years in the hands of a courier and the next 10 in private hands.  Never seemed to get cleaned but had 160K on it the last time I saw it.  Authorities bikes also do huge mileages. The LC looks just as well built so here's hoping. My first 1200 was bought within a week of the launch in 2005. I moved it on when it was about 2. Its still with its second owner and has yet to miss a beat.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Well thats good to know. I have really fallen for the RT it fits me and I'm told by mates I ride it better than anything else I've had. I like the way it handles. However my only concern is reliability. Had a bad experience with a 08 GS which eat rear wheel bearings at the rate of one every 6000 miles. After the 3rd bearing I got rid of it. The LC RT has a different shaft drive so hopefully the rear wheel bearing issue is a thing of the past. Fingers crossed. I've never done 100K on a bike so maybe this is the one.