Unlocking the My Bike App on a Nav V installed on an RT.

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
DLO

Unlocking the My Bike App on a Nav V installed on an RT.

Post by DLO »

Greetings all.  I've come to find out that the My Bike app, which is installed in all Nav V devices only activates when connected to a GS.  The App isn't even visible as an app when connected to my 2015 RT.  The question is, can I connect it to a GS at the dealer, activate the app,and continue to use it after returning the device back on my RT?  The app provides a host of customizable data fields that I'm really wanting to utilize.  If any of you have experience with this, I'd appreciate any feedback.  I'll also post my results after trying to activate the app on a GS and returning the device to my RT.  No idea why BMW figured only a GS owner would utilize the features of the app....God knows none of us RT owners care about logging riding parameters like lean angle, throttle position and breaking..... >:(
2015 R1200RT, Nav V, GTL Top Case, Erikas
guest2360

Re: Unlocking the My Bike App on a Nav V installed on an RT.

Post by guest2360 »

Sorry.  The My Bike App only works with the GS/GSA.  The instrument panel on the RT isn't comparable but is a more advanced system than the GS one, in my opinion. 
DLO

Post by DLO »

It not being compatible with the RT makes absolutely no sense to me at all.
2015 R1200RT, Nav V, GTL Top Case, Erikas
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DLO wrote: It not being compatible with the RT makes absolutely no sense to me at all.
The Nav V will fit on the complete range, just about but that App is only comparable with the GS.  Then again the RT has many futures not available on GS.  Having a Pro Shift gearbox I find is much more useful than knowing how  many rimes I've changed gear on a trip to mention just one..
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Yeah its like the fact that the Nav cannot be locked to the bike OR that the digital speedo cannot be changed to KPH that makes no sense to me. However look on the bright side, cross the Channel and the clock automatically advances one hour to French time courtesy of Nav V.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Levisp wrote: Yeah its like the fact that the Nav cannot be locked to the bike OR that the digital speedo cannot be changed to KPH that makes no sense to me. However look on the bright side, cross the Channel and the clock automatically advances one hour to French time courtesy of Nav V.
Agreed.  No lock was a big oversight, at least it fits nicely in the left locker. I just swap the Nav over to KPH in Calais. The best system for the Nav is the one on the K1600. I never took mine off that. You never know one day it might swap across to the RT.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I hope so but what gets my goat is that I can see the digital speed MPH to KPH as an oversight but to sort it only requires a little computer code and an additional line in the menu to select MPH or KPH. So BMW can I have it for Christmas please. :D
Pope

Post by Pope »

I'm hoping that Mr BMW will give us a software update for the Nav5, that gives us the same functionality as the bloody GS's......and a lockable mount....and LED headlights...... ;)
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
John

Post by John »

Levisp wrote: Yeah its like the fact that the Nav cannot be locked to the bike OR that the digital speedo cannot be changed to KPH that makes no sense to me. However look on the bright side, cross the Channel and the clock automatically advances one hour to French time courtesy of Nav V.
Think you will find that the digital speedo can be changed but requires a trip to the dealer to do it with the computer. There is a mass of settings that can be changed in there.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I can live without the My Bike app but the fact you can't lock the Nav 5 to the bike is absolutely idiotic - as is the fact that you can't use the MP3 player on the Nav 5 if your bike has the BMW audio system.

Just another example of BMW launching bikes before all the bugs have been ironed out...

>:( >:( >:(
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I agree about the lock but not the audio player in the Nav.  Its a lot easier to plug a flash drive into the audio system than use a micro SD card in the Nav.  The Alpine unit allows you to instantly jump tracks and control the volume with the wheel. Out of the Nav you have to press the screen at least 3 times to get to the volume control then slide the bar and then return to your original screen.  The system has been the same since 2011 when the K1600 came out.. 
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: I agree about the lock but not the audio player in the Nav.  Its a lot easier to plug a flash drive into the audio system than use a micro SD card in the Nav.  The Alpine unit allows you to instantly jump tracks and control the volume with the wheel. Out of the Nav you have to press the screen at least 3 times to get to the volume control then slide the bar and then return to your original screen.  The system has been the same since 2011 when the K1600 came out..

That's fine if you want to buy a BMW bluetooth-equipped helmet too (a £500 non-optional extra with an audio-equipped bike, as far as I can tell).  If the MP3 player on the Nav5 would work on an audio-equipped bike, I would still be able to use my Schuberth C3...

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

No bluetooth kit needed at all with the Alpine unit.  Most of us just wire something like an Autocom system into it.  Theres lots of info on this forum about it.   
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: No bluetooth kit needed at all with the Alpine unit.  Most of us just wire something like an Autocom system into it.  Theres lots of info on this forum about it. 

I went back to connecting my Autocom too.  Gave me pleasure to subvert the BMW helmet marketing plot.

(Interesting how few BMW dealers want to help with Autocom installations)

;) ;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

richardbd wrote:
I went back to connecting my Autocom too.  Gave me pleasure to subvert the BMW helmet marketing plot.

(Interesting how few BMW dealers want to help with Autocom installations)

Presumably you have connected your Autocom to the audio unit.
;) ;)