Handle Bar Risers

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Maz12

Re: Handle Bar Risers

Post by Maz12 »

Not compared to what my bar risers cost for my 2012 RT
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

The Ilium Works bar backs are a little odd, but they work fine.  If you rotate them back much, you have to alter your switch set angle.
Attachments
farkle1.jpg
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

mercator1 wrote:The Ilium Works bar backs are a little odd, but they work fine.
Having fitted the bar backs, has this improved your field of view through the mirrors, made it worse or no change.

Last edited by David. on Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
pbsrides

Post by pbsrides »

I like mine very well. Ilium is great to work with. Rented the tool with no issues. I don't even notice the unusual look. Nicely engineered. Reasonably priced. Had Helibars on my Guzzi--they were great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

The combination of my height and bar position puts my hands right in the field of view. Honestly don't remember what the mirror view was like before they were installed.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Are you guys with risers fitted, tall? So do the risers take the pressure off the wrists? I spoke to a chap on Sunday who said after long mileage his wrists ached, but he was over 6ft. I'm only 5ft 8 and haven't noticed anything uncomfortable as yet. But like the look of the risers  :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Some have found they spoil your rear view vision as the convert the mirrors into pre 14 design.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Casbar wrote: Are you guys with risers fitted, tall? So do the risers take the pressure off the wrists? I spoke to a chap on Sunday who said after long mileage his wrists ached, but he was over 6ft. I'm only 5ft 8 and haven't noticed anything uncomfortable as yet. But like the look of the risers :)
No I'm only 5 foot 9 inches, so I needed them partially for the back rotation.
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

Question for those who fit the Illium Works bar risers to their 2014 or newer RT.
Does the new grip position maintain the original angle, or has it been changed to relieve some wrist pressure?
I understand that the new Helibars do in fact lower the outboard end of the grips by a degree or so for that purpose.
Here is the info on the Helibars; [size=78%]https://www.helibars.com/products/HeliBars%C2%AE-handlebar-risers-for-BMW-R1200RT-LC/634.html[/size] .
Oh the places we will go
pbsrides

Post by pbsrides »

I'm 5' 5" and the mirrors are blocked more that they were without the ilium risers. I now have Napoleon mirrors on the bar ends that I like as I lead a lot of rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

BackAtIt53 wrote: Question for those who fit the Illium Works bar risers to their 2014 or newer RT.
Does the new grip position maintain the original angle, or has it been changed to relieve some wrist pressure?
I understand that the new Helibars do in fact lower the outboard end of the grips by a degree or so for that purpose.
Here is the info on the Helibars; [size=78%]https://www.helibars.com/products/HeliBars%C2%AE-handlebar-risers-for-BMW-R1200RT-LC/634.html[/size] .

You might not quite understand the way Ilium Works risers work.  They attach with a bolt through the bottom part, and they rotate on that point.  So, you can select any point along that arc to tighten yours.  I needed back more than up, mine are rotated rearward.  However, that brings the brake and cluth levers up in front, so you have to rotate the control set.  The brake and clutch reservoirs aren't symmetrical, however, so you have to compromise on the right position.  I preferred the old style handlebars like on my '05, and those bar backs were much simpler.  Not sure why BMW thinks more complex always means better.
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

Thanks to [size=4px]mercator1[/size] for the Illium Riser descriptive. My major concern is the angle of the outer ends of the grips, as the stock position puts a bit of excessive pressure on my right wrist, resulting in my whole right hand tingling after a short 30 minute commute. And to answer the unasked question; yes I have heavy bar ends installed (HVMP 17oz) It is unfortunate that the Helibars are so much more expensive, but I guess I will be paying for the forethought and development that goes into them. Thanks again. Stay safe.
Oh the places we will go
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

Just bit the bullet and ordered the Helibars. Pictures and thoughts to follow. Ordered the version that comes with the removal tool, a $30 premium vs without (cheap insurance against potential mishap). In for a penny, in for a pound! :)
Oh the places we will go
Hank

Post by Hank »

I put the Illum Bar Backs on my '14 RT last fall and can definitely say they help with my comfort level / seating position.  I find it easier on my wrists as there is less pressure on them due to a slightly more upright and rearward body position.  I installed them myself without 'renting' the special tool - instead I used a gear puller to 'push' out the stock bar and put some protection on the end where the gear puller clamps would otherwise contact the aluminium end.  A previous post mentioned softening up the Locktite the BMW puts in there, which I suspect would have helped a bit.  Note that there is a limited range of arc that you can position the Bar Backs due to the mounting of the clutch/brake reservoirs.  Looking at the Helibars website (https://www.helibars.com/products/HeliB ... C/634.html) I suspect they would have roughly the same limitation.  Based on comparing numbers for both products, it looks like the Helibars provide slightly more offset (up and rearward) than the Illum Back Bars.  I don't find any difference in the visibility of the side mirrors - for reference I'm 5'8", if that helps anyone.  Proof is always in the pudding - my longest day ride with these Bar Backs is 900m and I was comfortable at the end of it with no wrist or back issues.  Yes, I had already replaced the stock seat with a custom one (Rich's in Seattle WA), otherwise the previous statement would not have been true...
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

Installed the Helibars. What a difference a few inches makes. No more numb fingertips. The extra 2" in width has reduced the turning effort to little more than mere thought. The extra 1.75" of height puts them at the top of the stock mirrors, so for me @ 5'10" they now provide a better picture of what is following me. I stuck a 1.25" adjustable convex "eyeball" in the upper outside corner to help with blind spots. The Helibars have 2 things going for them that the Ilium Works risers don't. 1) the design actually gives you additional handlebar mount space. 2) strictly a safety feature- the bracket on the underside of the Helibars are notched to fit the cast web of the original handlebars. This prevents the bars from rolling forward in a panic stop/loose mounting bolt situation.
Attachments
IMG_1827.jpg
Oh the places we will go