Weather protection

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
stelyn

Re: Weather protection

Post by stelyn »

Keep smiling  - Just 1066 days to go.... ;)    ( Hope you can resolve the spray issue seems strange ! )
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

7vwh wrote:No extras on the work RT with no similar issues.
Do the Boxes save the crap or is it the design of the body panels & rear foot peg brackets.
7vwh wrote: Don't know to be fair. There's obviously some vortex/swirl effect from the rear wheel but as yet I've not had chance to run with my panniers on (shed door gap too small, too much effort to affix at 6am).
That's the next mucky day test :-)
Sorry for any confusion, I was referring to your work Bike.
Last edited by David. on Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Dealer rang me today to say all my weather protection panels and fittings have arrived. I ordered them 6 days ago. Just got to find time for the 120 mile round trip to Rotherham to pick them up.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Bertie wrote: Just got to find time for the 120 mile round trip to Rotherham to pick them up.

Royal Mail is your friend...
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Bertie wrote: Dealer rang me today to say all my weather protection panels and fittings have arrived. I ordered them 6 days ago. Just got to find time for the 120 mile round trip to Rotherham to pick them up.

Rainbow by any chance? I ordered mine from there on the 2nd Jan and I'm still awaiting one bolt and 5 washers!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

richardbd wrote:
Royal Mail is your friend...
It should cost very little to post as the whole lot weighs next to nothing.
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Thanks for the info RTman, looking at the snow falling outside at the moment it may have to be an option.
SweRT

Post by SweRT »

Made some modifications (those who don't like the look of these Tupperware can stop reading here).
Have not had a chance to test how well these parts prevent the dirt spray and ride also almost never without the panniers but noted that they still leave a small opening in front of the panniers.  Why not do something about it while waiting for the snow to melt away. A few pieces of plastics and a little tinkering and no new holes to fit these additions
Opening [attachimg=1]
Parts [attachimg=2]
Parts fitted [attachimg=3]
After modification [attachimg=4]
Walkway to our R1200RT LC [attachimg=5]
Attachments
Winter.jpg
4-after-mod1.jpg
3-parts fitted2.jpg
2-new parts2.jpg
1-opening.jpg
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

A very professional looking job.  Well sorted.  And we over here moan about a bit of salt on the roads, which is the reason I haven't tried mine out yet.   
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

SweRT  that looks bloody good. Nice work. Glad we don't have that amount of snow here. Thanks for showing us your work. 8)

With your skill maybe you could find a way of making a lock for the SatNav. Now that really does need a fix.
Last edited by Levisp on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Real neat job SweRT,  perhaps you should market them .... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Levisp is spot on, we all wait with bated breath to your amazing solution to the sat nav problem. 
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Levisp wrote: With your skill maybe you could find a way of making a lock for the SatNav. Now that really does need a fix.

First person to fix that particular design cock-up is gonna make a few £££ or $$$ or €€€
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

SweRT's extra design could have some merit as Hornig have some similar weather protection bits available. I still get shitty legs and boots on my own RT, but not on the work machine! Maybe the weather protection is designed around the city panniers fitted to authority bikes?

http://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/B ... anels.html
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

They are and I understand first appeared on Authority bikes before being offered to us lesser mortals. Except for the front two panels mine are off as cleaning the bike is far more difficult with it all on.