Essential Kit List

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Essential Kit List

Post by David. »

Budman wrote:Why do you carry spare bulbs only in Germany?
I was given the original Essential Kit list prior to our first trip to Germany in 2007, haven't bothered to edit it, now carry the spare bulbs all the time.
Budman wrote:Why the breathalyzer?
We went to France in 2012, at the time, it was a legal requirement to carry a Breathalyser Kit, I think this has now been rescinded by the French Authorities.
Budman wrote:What is a headlight converter?
It's a headlight protector which has a masked off area, for the LHD dipped beam for use when riding on the RHS.
Budman wrote:Are 'mains adapters' what I would call fuses?
A mains adapter is used for an electrical appliance which has a UK 3 pin plug to convert it for use with Euro 2 pin systems.
Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Budman.  Some old world info for you. 
We in the UK ride on the correct side of the road so our lights dip to the left. Converters swap the beam over to the right.
We have nice big proper wall plugs while over the Channel they dont so we need mains adaptors to plugs in phones and the like.
It used to be law to carry spare bulbs in Germany and recommended in the rest . Now its only recommended but its illegal to ride with a blown bulb so most of us carry a set. Finally its the law in France to carry a twin pack breathalyser. Being France though there is no penalty for not having one.
Good ah. 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

stelyn wrote: Hi David,  just weighed my 2012 - 42lt BM  top box and the scales read 19 .5 lbs  ?  (of course empty ) :-\

Wish I hadn't queried the weights now.  So now we know the old box weighs what the new one is supposed to weigh.  Now we just need someone with a new one and a set if scales to close the case.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

This might be of interest to those of us heading over the water this year.
Attachments
Riding Requirements Europe 2015.pdf
(520 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Budman

Post by Budman »

Thanks, I am learning a great deal on this forum.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

stelyn wrote:Hi David,  just weighed my 2012 - 49lt BM  top box and the scales read 19 .5 lbs  ?  (of course empty ) :-\

Confirmed as 8.8 kg or 19.4 lbs, still lighter than what BMW UK say the new top case is at 10 kg or 22 lbs.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Come on someone with a new one.  Kill this one off.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.