Right hand switch cluster

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
stelyn

Re: Right hand switch cluster

Post by stelyn »

Re " Recalls"
Your right, unlike as in the US or Canada,  for some reason here in the UK ,  BMW  rarely use the term `Recalls',  but prefer to address fault issues as being a ‘technical campaign’,  why who knows !!    :silence:
Last edited by stelyn on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You are correct.  A full recall is done directly to the owner by BMW, it only happens with safety issues. The swapping of both switches when one went wrong started in 2013. It was mainly effecting K1600s whose switches are more complex than those on R series series bikes.  This latest recall (notice) only instructs dealers to replace the right hand one due to the starter rocker switch going nearly solid.
As this new right one is definitely different to all previous ones, Iv had a total of 6 with 4 failing, they are obviously not going to swap both if one fails. 
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi Rtman10, have you seen the latest  ‘technical campaign’  posted under the `Problems Section' - got it from the  recent MCN  Magazine , or course I believe it....  :whistle:
I'm sure your `sources` can find out if there's any truth in it.  :shirty:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The fuel line problem is for real but must be  well over a year ago that it started.  Every bike that might be effected is checked at my dealer when it comes in for work or when an owner requests a check. The fuel pump flange might be different to the thing you found in MCN
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

As always  your a ` mind of information'  thanks RTman10
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

What's the "fuel line" problem?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DaygloDavid wrote: What's the "fuel line" problem?
On second thought its that letter you got about your old bike.  Date threw me as Im sure  the problems  a lot older.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

It's a great day here in France and would love to ride, but it would be a bummer if the switch played up when out and about now I know about it. Up until now it's started on the button excuse the "pun".
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Spencert231 wrote: It's a great day here in France and would love to ride, but it would be a bummer if the switch played up when out and about now I know about it. Up until now it's started on the button excuse the "pun".
My advice would be, until you can get it swapped, don't use the kill switch.  Using the rocker switch the whole length of its movement seems to speed up its eventual failure.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have spoken to Nigel at Roy Pidcock BMW, he has confirmed there are no outstanding Recalls or Service Campaigns on my bike.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DaygloDavid wrote: Have spoken to Nigel at Roy Pidcock BMW, he has confirmed there are no outstanding Recalls or Service Campaigns on my bike.
So have I.  He confirms there are two types of (recall) depending on age.  2010 to 2013 they called measured. If either switch plays up both are changed, but only when they play up. 2014 up until 6 May build.  New right hand switch, depending on VIN.  You learn something every day .
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Colette at Roy Pidcock BMW (Warranty Dept.), has confirmed.

There is currently, (don't know for how much longer), a Service Campaign on the multi-function switches for 2009 - 2013 bikes.

If either of the two switches "presents an issue", both may be changed, if when diagnosed, one or other is proved to be faulty.

So, if it ain't broken, they won't replace it.

My understanding is that Recall & Service Campaign work is done whether the bike is under any kind of warranty or not.

Maintaining a "BMW" Warranty & Service History may not guarantee trouble free motorcycling, but probably puts you in the best position if something does go wrong.

Last edited by David. on Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weston

Post by weston »

Spencert231 wrote: No problem Weston, your welcome. I hope your weather is better than here in France or indeed the UK
Update from here in Boston: dealer reports the switch is on back order from Germany.  No information yet regarding when the replacement units will arrive.
But in some respect this is not a current problem because the weather here now is atrocious -- bitter cold, snow, sleet, winds. No bikes will be on the road for quite a while, that's for certain!

Weston
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

RTman10 wrote: My advice would be, until you can get it swapped, don't use the kill switch.  Using the rocker switch the whole length of its movement seems to speed up its eventual failure.
I have never used the "kill switch" to stop the engine in twenty plus years of owning a bike I stop the engine on turning the ignition off. Why would anyone use the kill switch for routine riding?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Quite right, why would you, but people do.