Right hand switch cluster

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Spencert231

Right hand switch cluster

Post by Spencert231 »

i just received a call from my dealer asking me to bring my bike in regarding right hand cluster as there may be an issue with starting. Anybody else received a call or is it just my bike? My bike is a 1200RT 2014 LT model
guest2360

Re: Right hand switch cluster

Post by guest2360 »

Yes.  There is a general recall of all bikes with the one switch type indicators.  That's 2010 RTs onwards up until bikes built to 6 May 2014. Its a 10 minute job to swap the complete right hand switch. . The problem is the starter button can suddenly get very stiff or no work at all.   
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Thanks RTman10 yeah my bike was build end of April. What you have said pretty much confirms what the dealership said which also confirms to me Williams Motorcycles of Manchester have their finger on the pulse +1 for the dealership.
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

Took my '11 rt in for new tires today and learned of the recall. Also got fitted with a new fuel pump, combination switches on both left and right of the handlebar.
weston

Post by weston »

Spencert231 wrote: Thanks RTman10 yeah my bike was build end of April. What you have said pretty much confirms what the dealership said which also confirms to me Williams Motorcycles of Manchester have their finger on the pulse +1 for the dealership.
Checked with my dealer today in Boston and she confirmed there is a recall here in the US as well.  Thanks for the tip off!

Weston
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

No problem Weston, your welcome. I hope your weather is better than here in France or indeed the UK
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Checked with a local BMW Dealer, they are not aware of any recalls on a 2012 Twin Cam RT.

However, any defective switches may have been replaced under warranty.
Last edited by David. on Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The new design switch did not come out until May 2014.  If yours hasn't had one replaced since then its due one. I should ask again.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

In October 2014, I received a letter from BMW about the fuel pump flange on my previous 2010 Twin Cam RT.

By this time, I had part-ex'd the bike for the new (used) 2012 Twin Cam model, which I now own.

Have checked with both Cooper Sunderland (back in October) & Barrie Robson in York today, they both said, there are no outstanding issues with my current bike.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

All I can tell you is that in November or December all dealers received a recall notice from BMW telling them that all twin cylinder bikes fitted with the one switch indicator system were to have the right hand switch replaced. This was for all bikes built before 6 May 2014. Its possible that your bike had the switch replaced under warranty sometime between May 2014 and when you bought it. It would be easy for any dealer o check your bikes history and confirm it has the redesigned switch fitted.  Its worth getting confirmation, I ended up in the middle of France with a totally dead bike in 2012 because of the switch.     
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Allan Jeffries, who supplied the bike from new, have confirmed that the bike has never had any recalls or warranty work & there are no outstanding issues either.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DaygloDavid wrote: Allan Jeffries, who supplied the bike from new, have confirmed that the bike has never had any recalls or warranty work & there are no outstanding issues either.
I will see if I can get hold of the recall notice for you  next week.  From what they say about your bikes history it must need the switch.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Thank you, a list of VIN numbers may also be helpful.

Which BMW Dealer do you use, I could give them a call too.
Last edited by David. on Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Interestingly it doesn't give Vin Nos effected, just the wide description of 2 cylinder bikes produced before 6 May 2014.  It stated the switches should be changed either when the one fitted failed or at the next service. My dealer is Roy Pidcock in 0115 946 2233.   
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Please could you post a copy of the letter, thanks.

Perhaps there is a difference here between a "recall" & a notice sent to all the BMW Dealers.

My guess is that a "recall" is probably a safety issue and therefore a letter is sent directly to the owners.

What you have described, suggests to me, that the switch will be replaced if it fails, or the customer is aware of the potential problems and asks for it to be replaced.

It may be surprising if BMW end up changing all LHS & RHS Handle Bar switches on all bikes.
Last edited by David. on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.