New Member from N.Y.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Firenailer

New Member from N.Y.

Post by Firenailer »

Hi,

I came across this website and have been enjoying reading the Global views of our beloved RT's! They really are terrific Motorcycles and I'm glad to finally see a Board solely dedicated to them!

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Re: New Member from N.Y.

Post by beemerbaz »

Welcome Firenailer. It is a great forum and grows with every new member.

I hope that's water on the road under your bike or you have a slight leak [emoji3]
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Welcome aboard Firenailer, enjoy the `Forum' look forward to your views and comments  ^-^
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Very nice to see a bike from over the pond that's still just about stock.  Most of us went for the comfort seat. On our sister 1600 Forum you can find bikes with swapped seats, pegs, exhausts, screens, bars, lights etc, etc...... 
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

beemerbaz wrote: Welcome Firenailer. It is a great forum and grows with every new member.

I hope that's water on the road under your bike or you have a slight leak Image

Welcome Firenailer, New York so good they named it twice and I will vouch for thatt, a great place. Beemerbaz you took the words right out of my mouth :))
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

Ha! Thanks for the welcome men, that pic was right after a wash and dry so it's just water. I think that the comfort seat made a big difference in the bikes "sitability" on longer rides.

I've since added an Alaska Sheepskin Seat Pad which made it even better. Very airy and cool in the summer and kind of warm in the winter. It does slow down the time it takes to feel the seat heat, but once it warms up its very nice. I've also added both Top Boxes ( bought the 49 ltr and was given the 29 ltr. By a riding buddy that sold his).

This past weekend I've been getting a Zumo 660 set up on the dash using the BMW above dash mount, but it's just too cold in my garage to pull the side panel to snake the wires and get it plugged in to the power port near the steering head. I'm thinking that I'd like to get the Audio jacks to come out between the seat and tank.

Other than that, it's pretty stock. I had the above bar mirrors mounted for awhile but I kept bumping into them getting on and off, and especially when fueling so I finally pulled them off.

Below is a picture of the Garmin and mount.
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by Firenailer on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You know there is a dedicated power point normally cable tied to the frame under the headlight.  Its a white plug with a black cap on it.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If your bike has a rear Power Socket supply & you are going to route the Audio cables as described,
it is possible to pick up a +ve "switched live" from the socket (green/red wire) & -ve supply from the battery.
Last edited by David. on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

Yes Thanks. I'm planning on using that power socket  under the headlight for the power, but I also want to get the other leads for the communications under the bodywork so that they are accessible at the front of the seat.
Last edited by Firenailer on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Firenailer wrote: Yes Thanks. I'm planning on using that power socket  under the headlight for the power, but I also want to get the other leads for the communications under the bodywork so that they are accessible at the front of the seat.
Would suggest you only connect your Zumo to the front socket as its designed only for that.  As DaygloDavid says go to the rear power socket for everything else. There is a connecting cable available from BMW to plug your Zumo directly in without cutting off the one on the bike. What type of comms do you intend to use?
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

A BMW Dealer helped me to install the Sat. Nav. on my 2010 RT.

Originally I had a Zumo 220 (Bluetooth), & yes, it was powered from the socket behind the headlight.
Nippy Normans also do a Lead for connecting any Garmin or TomTom gps into the BMW harness.
http://www.nippynormans.com/products/r1 ... anbuszu660

I upgraded to a Zumo 660, & again, the Dealer helped me to install it.
This time, because of the Audio & power leads coming from the mounting cradle, the power supply was picked up from the rear as previously described.
(No wires were cut, just some insulation removed & a bit of soldering plus insulation tape).

Have now removed all the Sat. Nav. & Autocom equipment off the 2010 bike & fitted it to my new (used) 2012 model myself.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.