Replacement Batteries

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Replacement Batteries

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: I was right.  This is the Christmas Special Thread.

Yes you are special  :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Now, let's be serious & "talk turkey", https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=7
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: But you did.

Yes bought the bike but not the expensive service parts. Unfortunately in the touring market BMW have little competition. Honda seems to have given up. Yamaha have made an attempt at updating an old design but still heavy. Only BMW make a light weight tourer that handles well, goes well and is fugal on fuel. IMHO only let down by poor anti-rust protection and expensive service parts. Both of these I have some control over. Making the bike I don't so really had no choice in buying BMW if I wanted an up to date light weight tourer. I'm actually quite happy at the price I paid for my RT. Ive had mine a little over 2 years, done 21K on her and its been 100 % reliable. The only issue I have is why BMW have to mark up parts that they themselves do not make and which we need on a regularly basis. Thats why I well seek out cheaper alternatives from the OEM parts manufacturers. Brembo brake pads is a good example.  I will stay well clear of cheap copies sold on eBay from China.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

One way of overcoming the high, new O.T.R. purchase price in 2014 was to get one of the nearly new recall bikes.
Last edited by David. on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Levisp wrote:
Yes bought the bike but not the expensive service parts. Unfortunately in the touring market BMW have little competition. Honda seems to have given up. Yamaha have made an attempt at updating an old design but still heavy. Only BMW make a light weight tourer that handles well, goes well and is fugal on fuel. IMHO only let down by poor anti-rust protection and expensive service parts. Both of these I have some control over. Making the bike I don't so really had no choice in buying BMW if I wanted an up to date light weight tourer. I'm actually quite happy at the price I paid for my RT. Ive had mine a little over 2 years, done 21K on her and its been 100 % reliable. The only issue I have is why BMW have to mark up parts that they themselves do not make and which we need on a regularly basis. Thats why I well seek out cheaper alternatives from the OEM parts manufacturers. Brembo brake pads is a good example.  I will stay well clear of cheap copies sold on eBay from China.

+1, but it will fall on deaf ears to the faithful! But you can but try.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Other than myself, has anyone actually bought a replacement battery.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Still running original battery on my 2010TC.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mike wrote:Still running original battery on my 2010TC.
That's good going, the battery on my 2010 bike failed after 3.5 years & approximately 31,000 miles.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Hope I haven't jinxed it 8)
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

The original battery on my old K13GT lasted 7 years (hooked up to an Optimate III) before it failed and was replaced by an Odyssey from Motorworks.  Seemed to crank much better after that.  Relented and bought an Optimate IV now just because I'm lazy and can use the socket.  It seems to be cooking away nicely in the corner of the garage.  The old Optimate III will go on eBay to subsidise the purchase.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sprintgull wrote: The original battery on my old K13GT lasted 7 years (hooked up to an Optimate III) before it failed and was replaced by an Odyssey from Motorworks.  Seemed to crank much better after that.  Relented and bought an Optimate IV now just because I'm lazy and can use the socket.  It seems to be cooking away nicely in the corner of the garage.  The old Optimate III will go on eBay to subsidise the purchase.

Oh no you have been using an Optimate charger rather than a BMW one - that's you on the black list  :whistle:
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Casbar wrote:
Oh no you have been using an Optimate charger rather than a BMW one - that's you on the black list  :whistle:

Hell thats me too then. ;D
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sprintgull wrote:Replaced by an Odyssey from Motorworks. Seemed to crank much better after that.
Recently, a friend told me that he had fitted an Odyssey battery to his Buell (1200cc V Twin) after the original HD one failed.

He confirmed that you do seem to get more "bang for your buck".
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Had an odyssey in my Caterham 7, damn good battery, but needed to keep it on an optimate, if they get fully discharged it was fupard 
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Levisp wrote:
Hell thats me too then. ;D
And me! >:D
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.