First Two Up Ride couple problems.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Budman

First Two Up Ride couple problems.

Post by Budman »

Nice day here in Denver NC, 50 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Ann and I headed out to Asheville to get some miles on the bike and to have lunch. Its about 95 miles from home to the dealership. Bike did fine, its remarkably smooth and very quick. On the way as we got to Black Mountain the Nav V went dark. As we went along it got better then it would have dark shaded places on the map that started in the corners and worked their way down to the middle of the page. I have sent a note to Garmin and we will see what they say. Dealer said not to worry it continues they will replace it under warranty.
The other thing I found odd was that the temp gauge went from 5 bars to 7 bars as we were moving down the interstate. Its not hot or humid here in NC, 50s all day. I found teh temperature fluctuation odd. Never had that happen on my 2012 or my GTL.

Anyone else have either of these issues?

Other than those minor things the bike is great. I cant believe how much smoother and more powerful than my 2012RT. Ann was good with the windshield and was comfortable on the seat.Said it was a bit hard but I expect that to settle in.

So far Im very happy with it.   

Bud
Firenailer

Re: First Two Up Ride couple problems.

Post by Firenailer »

What are you riding Bud?

I did the Blue Ridge Pkwy down to Asheville once many years ago. I remember it being a beautiful spot.

Garmin has excellent customer service. If there is something wrong, they'll do the right thing. Let us know how it goes.
Budman

Post by Budman »

Sorry, I should have noted that it is a 2014 RT. So far its been great. Ill let you know what Garmin says.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You will probably recall that on your GTL the bike would adjust the screen brightness all by itself. On the Nav IV/660 you could not override the function.  On the Nav V you can.  As mine has been permanently on max brightness since I got the RT I'm not sure it has this. Worth trying just in case the function is faulty.
  As you bought the Nav V from BMW they are responsible for warranty, they are in UK anyway so my first port of call would be with my dealer.  Garmin are good and will help.  Bet they tell you to do a total reset and then return it to BMW.
Nice to hear your pillion is happy with it.  Mine thinks its better than a 1600 Exclusive with the aerodynamics being far superior.
  Cant comment on the temp, never bothered to look.       
Budman

Post by Budman »

Never rode the Exclusive but we did have a GTL. Ann likes the 2014 RT as well or better than the ride of the GTL. She said the windshield provides her as much protection as the VStream that we have had on the last couple bikes. We will do a couple weekend trips before we decide to keep the standard windshield or go the VStream.

The bike was comfortable for Ann no matter what the speed. Now we haven't ridden in the rain so far but I expect that she will be fine.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote:   Cant comment on the temp, never bothered to look.     

I haven't noticed temp variation either - but the Multistrada used to do it all the time.  It was the fans cutting in that caused it...