Battery Chargers

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Battery Chargers

Post by David. »

Deltran Battery Tender http://www.batterytender.com/.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I've read on other Forums that the BMW Charger is made by Deltran & re-branded, can anyone confirm if this is the case or not.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Looking at their site I very much doubt it. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found this thread on Adventure Rider, "Do you need a special battery charger for a motorcycle battery?"

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/d ... ery.59554/

It contains a quote from the BMW Owners News magazine, "I read in this months BMW ON that the Deltran tender that they make for BMW (BMW label on it) is special in that it sends out a pulse to the battery to "œWake it Up"€. Not sure what that means but the Deltran executive that was quoted in the article seemed to state that it is wise to use a more costly BMW labeled Deltran tender for BMW AGM batteries."
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

He would say that he wants people to buy the BMW logo product. I think there is a lot of bull talked about battery charging. I guess it stems from the old fashioned chargers that charged at a high amperage and were only ever meant to be used for a few hours. A modern charger such as the latest Optimate is made for trickle charging. It has been designed to charge at different rates, then stop charging and then start again. It checks the battery state and cannot overcharge the battery. The charging rate is between 0.2 - 0.8 amp. So if the charger is designed to trickle charge with a maintenance mode then its perfectly safe to leave it attached to the bike for long periods if you want. You could of cause always read the instructions.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Assuming that the BMW Owners News is gospel, just like the MCN always is, the charger is a special made for BMW not a rebadged one. Then again is the Owners News not US based. The US charger has a different part number to Euro ones but that might be because they don't have proper electricity over there.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

CTEK also make BMW Battery Chargers.

Last edited by David. on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have never come across this one.  It's definitely not in any BMW motorrad catalogue and it's for a battery no bike now uses.  So is it very old, a fake or a joke.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

CTEK - New Generation Chargers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaSb-HYqh6o

"Suitable for all types of Lead Acid Batteries, including AGM".

(Nearly every sealed motorcycle starter battery is likely to be of AGM construction and of course, all these batteries (including Gel) are lead/acid.)

Last edited by David. on Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:I've read on other Forums that the BMW Charger is made by Deltran & re-branded.
These BMW & Deltran Chargers look very similar.

Last edited by David. on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just found some of these on Amazon.  Shown as genuine car battery chargers. I can find no mention of these ever being retailed here by BMW as bike chargers.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The CTEK/BMW Charger has a Motorcycle Mode & is suitable for Batteries from 1.2 - 110 Ah, the RT LC Battery is 16 Ah.

Last edited by David. on Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Do not know where you get all your pics from David but they always give me a smile. Its funny how companies like to brand everything now. Charger made by CTEC but branded BMW. Oil made by Shell but branded BMW. Its a funny old world we live in. We will have BMW tyres next. :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You have to wonder them why BMW don't retail it through their dealers.  Or are we still believing that they wouldn't because they make one specifically for their bikes and as they cost more all they are only interested in ripping us off.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

There maybe be a little bit of ripping us off but I think as people know less about their bikes (cars), so they feel safe buying something from their dealer which is branded. Oil is a classical example of this. Its all basically the same stuff but with different additives. If the spec is correct it doesn't make a hoots difference who makes it. However we all have our preferred brands.