Battery Chargers

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Battery Chargers

Post by David. »

I have a Datatool Charger which was purchased in 2004, it's the same as this one, (found the photo in a post on UKGSer from 2004).
(The Charger was purchased from a Honda Dealer for a VFR 800 VTEC which had a wet maintenance-free sealed type Battery).

http://ppdocs.motorcycleproductindex.com/pp126996d1.pdf

In the first photo, the label says "Automatic Charger for 12V Lead-Acid Batteries" & on the box in the second photo, next to 12V, it has 3 Battery symbols, Normal, MF & GEL.

This confirms to me, (as did speaking to Optimate), that the battery Charger is suitable for all 3 types of Lead-Acid Batteries.

The Optimate 4 is recommended for AGM/MF, Standard, GEL and spiral cell batteries, as above including AGM.

http://www.optimate.co.uk/OptiMate%204% ... eaflet.pdf
Last edited by David. on Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Re: Battery Chargers

Post by David. »

The Optimate 4 BMW has the BMW Connector included,
http://www.optimate.co.uk/optimate%204%20BMW.htm

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I bought one of those from Nippy Normans works a treat using aux socket.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Reading the specifications, it sounds just the job, thanks.

http://www.nippynormans.com/products/ba ... bus-goldpl

8% Discount & sometimes NN's have Free Postage offers too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3EtVdzEhio

A Battery Charger & a Battery for the cost of a BMW Battery, Happy Days.

http://www.1200rt.com/index.php/topic,1165.0.html
Last edited by David. on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Another Battery Charger & it's Swedish, http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/ ... Q=ACA66500 for £55.31.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Interestingly I Emails Optimate yesterday and asked them to confirm their Optimate 4,  complete with BMW connector was comparable with the LCs Limbus system.  No answer.   
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

RTman10 wrote: Interestingly I Emails Optimate yesterday and asked them to confirm their Optimate 4,  complete with BMW connector was comparable with the LCs Limbus system.    No answer. 
Talk about  `Customer Service '  this cut & pasted from their Web page and mentioned there twice !!

Contact us directly......... .    No wonder some businesses are going down the pan !      :whistle:
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I rang Optimate on Tel: 01604 660777, the guy I spoke to was very helpful.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DaygloDavid wrote: I rang Optimate on Tel: 01604 660777, the guy I spoke to was very helpful.
Obviously doesn't want to put anything in writing. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If the 2014 R1200RT LC has the same Electrical systems as the 2013 R1200GS LC, then it is possible that the Optimate 4 may be OK.

Taken from BMW Media-information:- New vehicle electrical system with partitioning of functions.

The new R 1200 GS is now the second BMW motorcycle after the BMW K 1600 GT/GTL to be fitted with the innovative vehicle electrical system.
It is based on the previous system but features an altered partitioning of functions.

The use of CAN bus (Controller Area Network) and LIN bus technology (Local Interconnect Network) enables significantly reduced wiring as compared to a conventional system.
This also reduces potential error sources as may occur in conventional vehicle electrical systems due to the quantity of wiring and numerous plug connectors - a key factor in ensuring all-round reliability.

Nippy Normans specification says:-

K1600GT/GTL update - now works flawlessly on this bike and on the R1200GS LC 2013 onwards.

Levisp has a R1200 LC SE & he uses an Optimate 4.
Levisp wrote:I bought one of those from Nippy Normans works a treat using aux socket.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Norman might say so but after 48hrs and 2 requests Optimate has still to confirm it is compatible with Limbus.
My attitude is The bike retails at a little under 16K.  Do I really want to plug anything into it that isn't specifically recommended by the manufacturer for the sake of about £20.   
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have spoken to Karl at Optimate, he was incredibly helpful & spent the time confirming details of Battery Chargers & Batteries.

I would have no hesitation in purchasing an Optimate Charger if I'm required to replace the Datatool one.

My understanding is that tecMATE do both Optimate & Accumate Battery Chargers,
there are two e-mail addresses, [email protected] & [email protected], it might be worth sending an e-mail to both.
Last edited by David. on Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

This may or may not help but I'm been using a Optimate 4 on my RT LC for the past 4 months and nothing has blown up yet. I did my own 6K service last week and then got Chandlers of Brighton to plug the bike into their diagnostic equipment to reset service reminder and check for fault codes. None were found.
Last edited by Levisp on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I think I will stay stuck in the mud and stay with what I know works.  Having owned a BMW bike for the last 19 years without a break and never needed to buy a replacement battery I will stick with the BMW charger. Yes you pay a bit more for the privilege but its first class kit.     
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

It sounds like, BMW themselves, may have been having problems, with their own previous battery Charger, in getting it to talk to the K1600 GT/GTL & R1200 GS LC.

Perhaps this is why they brought out a replacement, which is now compatible will ALL Models.