Battery Chargers

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Levisp

Re: Battery Chargers

Post by Levisp »

OK I emailed Tecmate who make Optimate and asked them if the lastest BMW R1200RT LC motorcycles were compatible with their charger. This is the reply I got :

Hello Peter,

We have been forwarded your email as we are TecMate’s UK main distributor.

Neither CAN or LIN have any effect on the operation of the battery charger, this is down to the programming of the motorcycle’s battery management system within the central wiring controller. CAN and LIN are both relatively old technologies as they have been in common use for over 15 years. Both are just a means of communicating data between sub-controllers. If there is an instruction within the motorcycles firmware to open the “gates” between the socket and the battery upon receipt of the wake signal at the socket then you will be able to use the charger. Unfortunately if the motorcycles firmware does not have the instruction to do this then there is no way to connect via the socket, even using BMW’s own charger! However we have not had any feedback from the community to say if the programming is there or not. That said if it does not work at the moment there is no reason why it wouldn’t at a later date, when BMW released the K1600 there were issues with the battery management software on the motorcycle. Which took BMW over a year to resolve. Worst case scenario you would have to connect your charger direct to the battery.

There is absolutely no risk using the OptiMate when connected to a motorcycle using CAN, LIN or indeed any other network technology as these systems are designed to carry considerably more power than the OptiMate is able to deliver. The socket itself is limited by the software to 120W which is about thirteen times more power than the OptiMate 4 delivers. Please also consider that the most BMW motorcycles have a 580W alternator, which is approximately sixty times more power than the OptiMate is capable of delivering.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any further information.

Regards

etc .....

Subject closed by me but thought I would share their response.
Last edited by Levisp on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Excellent result Peter, thank you for sharing the information.
Last edited by David. on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:The Datatool Charger will do all 3 vehicles & Battery types, Yamaha - Flooded Serviceable, Suzuki - Flooded Maintenance Free & BMW - GEL.
The Battery Charger has "lived up to it's billing" & the Yamaha started first time yesterday.

Will try the RT on the 1st April.
Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CMB123

Post by CMB123 »

Have been using the Optimate for over a year on the NineT and for the past few weeks on the R1200RT. Works like a charm. The BMW dealer recommended this one over the BMW, which is a nifty unit, purely on price (almost half).
marc.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

CMB123 wrote:The BMW dealer recommended this one over the BMW, which is a nifty unit, purely on price (almost half).
Yes, I've seen the Optimate for sale at Barrie Robson BMW York.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

CMB123 wrote: Have been using the Optimate for over a year on the NineT and for the past few weeks on the R1200RT. Works like a charm. The BMW dealer recommended this one over the BMW, which is a nifty unit, purely on price (almost half).
Thanks for the info, will pick one up now...... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

CMB123 wrote:Have been using the Optimate for over a year on the NineT and for the past few weeks on the R1200RT. Works like a charm.
Do you use it via an on-board Aux. Socket or bolted to the battery.

Last edited by David. on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Been using mine for 6 months on my RT LC via front aux socket, no problems.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mine are bolted to the Battery on both the XJ650 & the RT (Twin Cam).
Last edited by David. on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Using Optimate via the front aux power socket since buying the RT LC last  May... No problems at all.
Keeps it top notch!
;)
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
CMB123

Post by CMB123 »

Good question DaygloDavid - I use a 12 Volt accessory on the NineT (installed one on the left side to the frame) and on the R1200RT I installed a quick connect plug-in that I wired straight into the battery. The charger came with the plug-in and the accessory cables, so I just switch depending on which bike I am trickle charging.
marc.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

"Hey Presto", pushed the button & it started first time, after being stood for 6 months.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

That's a result and impressive - now blow the cobwebs out  `ride and enjoy'....... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Battery is a year old, whenever I put the charger on it went to "Maintain" more or less straight away.

Don't forget the Fuel Stabilizer may have also helped.

Been to Cooper BMW Sunderland & back today for a Service.
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

I have the latest BMW Motorrad charger and i have three closely related questions:

1. Is it true you have to go through a sequence of switching the bike on, then plugging the charger into the aux socket, then powering up the charger, then switching the bike off to get the bike to realise it shouldn't switch off the aux socket after 10 minutes as it normally would (and other forums say if you don't go through this sequence the charger can overheat when the bike does switch the aux socket off)?

2. Why does the charger display get to 95% charge (see photo) and never get to 100%, Even after about 8 hours, after getting to 95% after about 20 minutes (or less if I try it again without using the battery in between charging cycles)?

3. If I disconnect the power to the charger and leave it plugged into the aux socket why does it then say it's 100% charged and the 'full' LED come on on the charger (see second photo)?

Any advice appreciated.

Steve
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by Steveeung on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext