Bluetooth with Zumo and Autocom

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
BeeJay

Bluetooth with Zumo and Autocom

Post by BeeJay »

Hi, I've bought a Sept 2014 RT from Pidcocks and am extremely happy with it except for the fact that I been unable to get out much on it because of the weather.
My question to your learned people is this:
On my previous bike, and my wife's VFR, we had hardwired autocom units (for rider/pillion) and Kenwood radios (for bike to bike). I also had a Zumo 660 which we could both hear when we were out on just my bike.
I now need to sort the comms on the RT.
I did want to go BT, really liked the Sena 20S. This would enable bike to bike and rider pillion. And I would be able to hear the 660 voice prompts. BUT my wife would not.
I rang Garmin and I cannot pair the 660 with 2 BT headsets.
I though I would hard wire the 660 to my autocom Pro-AVI and add the BTM-02A module.
I rang Autocom and they said that the BTM 02A would not connect with the Pro-AVI.
They did have another BT unit but advised against it.
I'm now left with wiring in my old system which should work, but there space is a bit limited. Thanks to RTman10 for mentioning the space under the top box carrier.
The RT has the audio system fitted, didn't need it, it was on the demonstrator that I bought[size=78%]. [/size]
[size=2px]Sorry to go on a bit.[/size]
[size=2px]Any ideas please?[/size]

BeeJay

Re: Bluetooth with Zumo and Autocom

Post by BeeJay »

I forgot to add, I see that NN's and others sell a plug to intercept the audio out from the satnav.
Where is this plug to intercept?
Thanks again
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Lots,
Firstly BT. The only kit that will work fully with the audio unit on the bike is the BMW stuff. I do not recommend it.  You and your pillion will hear everything the unit puts out, radio etc but only you will hear the 660.  In addition amazingly when you talk over music etc. it does not mute and you have to press the mute button on the left hand panel.
As you have already got Autocom just get it connected directly to the audio unit. The cable to do it depending on which type you choose costs between £40-60.  This system give you full control of volume on the wheel, both of you hear the 660 and of course is totally  bike powered.
I used this system on 2 of my K1600s and it works perfectly. I still use Autocom on my RT. The audio unit has a USB connection which works great with a memory card/flash drive.
Iv always had the kit fitted by Pidcocks who have been doing it since 2011 when the Alpine audio unit was first used.. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

barryj wrote: I forgot to add, I see that NN's and others sell a plug to intercept the audio out from the satnav.
Where is this plug to intercept?
Thanks again
No idea whats that about but if it goes into the audio out socket on the 660 you will note its covered by the bike mount.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Don't know if this thread from UKGSer is any help,

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... ME-too-Low

Looks to me like a guy has got a  BTM-02A connected to an Autocom Super Pro-Avi.
Last edited by David. on Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Looks to me like a guy has got a  BTM-02A connected to an Autocom Super Pro-Avi.

The Pro-Avi is an earlier model than the Super Pro-Avi and I cant see a BT Dongle attachment on it. Wire it to the Alpine unit and forget BT unless you insist on connecting your phone.  If a phone is  a must use an Autocom Logic unit. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

January 2007 Autocom Brochure, http://www.mts1200.info/motorcycleinfo/ ... ochure.pdf

The Pro AVi must be an old Autocom unit.

This thread from Adventure Rider, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478798, mentions a pre 2007 model Super Pro AVi with 1273 BT Adaptor.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 4276,d.d2s

http://www.angelridevideos.com/reviews/Bluetooth.html

A BT 1273 fitted to an Autocom Pro AVi.
Last edited by David. on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

AUTOCOM - TECHNICAL ADVICE - BTM-02A Compatibility with Pre-2009 Models

http://autocom.co.uk/helmet-communicati ... nuals.html

"Our Bluetooth module, for connection of GPS and mobile phone, is compatible with all of the 7-pin Autocoms providing:

•The Autocom is bike powered.
•The correct connecting cable must be used between the BTM and the Autocom.
•Some pre-2009 units may require a very simple modification to their circuit board, to remove a 9Vd.c. voltage which is present on Aux 1.

The following units are classed as Pre-2009:

•Easi 7 Advance
•Active 7 Smart
•Pro 7 Sport
•Active Plus*
•Pro-Avi*

*The Active and AVi units may have a 9V voltage on Aux 1. This should be disabled before connecting the BTM-02A – please refer to ‘PowerLink’ Section.
The BTM should be connected to Aux 1 (phone input) using the supplied 3 pole cable BT-201.
The 3 pole plug can be recognised by the 2 black rings on the black plug."

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

AUTOCOM - TECHNICAL ADVICE - Connecting to an On-Board System

"Many motorcycles, BMW, Honda Goldwings, Harleys etc have an onboard sound system. Your Autocom can easily be connected to this using an Isolated Audio Cable 2273 or 2275. These cables are connected into the speaker wires of the bike system. The bike sound system can now be listened to in the Autocom headset. Part 2275 features a switch which allows you to switch between the on-board bike speakers and the Autocom Headset."

http://www.autocom.co.uk/PDF/CarTypeMusic.pdf

Autocom Stereo Isolated Music Lead - Part No 2275, http://www.chainspeed.co.uk/products/AU ... 9/231.html

Last edited by David. on Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Many thanks for all the help.
My head is spinning with all the info.

Need to sit down quietly and digest it all.

Thanks again
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

My interpretation of all the info. is that there are two choices.

1) Use a BT Module with the Autocom unit to get Sat. Nav. voice prompts for both Rider & Pillion,

or

2) Hard wire into the BMW Audio System using an Autocom Lead.

(The latter is dependant on a Zumo 660 working with the BMW Audio System).

Option (1) Bluetooth would appear to be the simplest solution & not needing to break into the BMW Audio System wiring.
Last edited by David. on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

This is a topic close to my heart - I've recently being fighting the same battle or sorting comms out on my new RTLC with BMW audio. 

Very long story short...

If you have the BMW audio system, ONLY BMW helmet bluetooth works properly.  I actually quite like the BMW system but I haven't tried it for pillion.

I have now successfully got my Autocom system up and running.  Vines in Guildford said it couldn't be done.  Bahnstormer in Alton fitted in faultlessly in an afternoon.  So now I have a choice between connecting myself to the bike by wired autocom, when I'm wearing a non-BMW helmet or by bluetooth when I wear my System 6 EVO.

Everything works fine with the Autocom.  All I needed was one extra cable - switched audio lead.  The only difference to my previous (Multistrada) set-up being that the Nav5 has to connect to the Autocom by bluetooth - there's no hard-wired connection out of the Nav5 mount.

I'm now a happy bunny again - but it was a mission to get sorted and there's a lesson that some dealers do know their product and others don't...

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

richardbd.  If you have your audio unit connected to the Autocom then so is the Nav V. You and your pillion should hear prompts. If you can't, disabled the Bluetooth in the Nav. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: richardbd.  If you have your audio unit connected to the Autocom then so is the Nav V. You and your pillion should hear prompts. If you can't, disabled the Bluetooth in the Nav.

Thanks RTman - I don't ride with a pillion so no need to worry re who hears what. 

However, I'm not sure you're quite right about the way the connections work.  Let's ignore anything to do with the BMW bluetooth.  My understanding is that the RT's on-board audio (including the MP3 music from the USB connection) is hard-wired to the Autocom, via the switched-audio lead.  However, the Nav5 connects to the Autocom via bluetooth, using the Autocom Logic's on-board blue tooth receiver.  I am led tobelieve that there is no way to hard-wire the connection between the Nav5 and the Autocom.

I know this is how it works because when I alternate between my BMW bluetooth helmet and my Autocom helmet(s), I have to change the Nav5's bluetooth connection.

Sounds much more complicated to the uninitiated than it really is but it sis take me a while to get everything working the way I really want it to...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

richardbd.  I can assure you the Nav V will talk to you through your Autocom with no Bluetooth involved. 
Try this.  Set your Nav V with no Bluetooth symbol on the screen (disabled). Also disable The Bluetooth in the Alpine unit (no symbol on the dash)
Turn on your ignition and get either the radio or music playing through the speakers.
Set a route off on the Nav V, it will start talking through the speakers.
Now plug in your helmet and switch sound to that.
I have been using an Alpine unit connected directly to an Autocom unit since  2011. Nav IVs, Nav Vs and 660sv all work
Good luck.
. .