8 Bluetooth Headsets Tested

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Maz12

Re: 8 Bluetooth Headsets Tested

Post by Maz12 »

That's a bugger
Although I have read if you look at the Nav V from the rear there's two lines of brass connectors.. If you put a piece of tape over the 3rd one up on the right hand column if prevents the audio system switching the Bluetooth off.
Again,  not something I've tried yet so will have to report back later
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Maz12 wrote: Although I have read if you look at the Nav V from the rear there's two lines of brass connectors.. If you put a piece of tape over the 3rd one up on the right hand column if prevents the audio system switching the Bluetooth off.

So, you pay £1,400 for an audio system and then disable it so that you can use a half-price bluetooth unit.

Maybe I'm slow on the uptake but wouldn't it have made more sense to buy a bike without the audio in the first place???

:thinking: :thinking:
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Crazy I know
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Maz12 wrote: Crazy I know
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I was aware you could still hear nav directions without turning the Bluetooth on (thanks RTman) but I can't say I've tried having the audio unit off...  That's another thing I have to try now.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I'm not aware of any on/off switch for the unit, only a mute button.  Turn on the ignition and the audio unit will always be live.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

I'm not at home at the moment (and have been away for a few days so memory may be dodgy), so can't check the bike before posting this - but...

Doesn't the top button turn the unit off - and when it's off doesn't the central display turn into a digital speedo?

I think that's why the button says "On"...

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

you would think so but I recall when I had the unit on a 1600, press the on and you lost music but the Nav Still came through via the Autocom unit which was wired to it.  But why muck with it as you say.  It costs a small fortune so use it fully. 
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

On the LC, if you press and hold the Audio on/off button the unit goes off. You need to do this to get the digital speedo ('background' setting under either user or bike menu - I forget which - when bike is stopped) to work. Same as the K1600 was.  :)
Last edited by Steveeung on Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

RTman10 wrote: The thing to remember about every one of the units tested, none are fully compatible with the Alpine audio unit fitted on the RT. Only the BMW system will fully connect with two helmets but in my opinion is still a flawed system and very expensive. The Autocom will work if directly wired to the unit. If you do that the Bluetooth unit is only required for the phone when set on auto-answer. The unit will however allow connection with a GPS for prompts, music and phone to both rider and pillion if you do not have an audio unit. The SPA unit tested though is a very tight fit. The Logic model is much smaller and much cheaper.     

I have a pair of Scala Rider Pro headsets paired for intercom rider to pillion and they work well but I don't have either paired to the bike. Was thinking of upgrading so can listen to music from the audio unit (as well as full rider to pillion two-way intercom) but from what you say, wired is the best way forward. What are my best options if I go wired? I have a Shoei helmet but am considering upgrading to the Schubeth C3 pro (rider only initially).
Last edited by Steveeung on Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have only ever used Autocom.  It can be connected directly to the Alpine unit which means both you and your pillion will receive everything including you both hearing the GPS prompts. You also control the volume for everything for both helmets with the wheel.    Mine is a Logic unit.  If you want the phone as well you do need their Bluetooth dongle as well.
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

Just realised I need bike to bike also as my wife has started riding. Doh, I might need a long lead! With Autocom, is it possible to use wireless between helmets when riding separate bikes (me on RT and wife on her 125) and wired when we're both on the same bike (RT)?
Last edited by Steveeung on Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: I have only ever used Autocom.  It can be connected directly to the Alpine unit which means both you and your pillion will receive everything including you both hearing the GPS prompts. You also control the volume for everything for both helmets with the wheel.    Mine is a Logic unit.  If you want the phone as well you do need their Bluetooth dongle as well.

I use Autocom but pair the phone to the Nav5
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you pair the phone to the Nav V you still need a dongle for it to connect to the Autocom.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: If you pair the phone to the Nav V you still need a dongle for it to connect to the Autocom.

For what to pair to the Autocom? 

Surely, the phone pairs to the Nav5.  The Nav5 is connected to the bike's audio and the bike's audio is hard-wired to the Autocom.

Of course, I've never caught you out on this stuff RTMan, so maybe I should just bow to your superior knowledge.  I removed the external Bluetooth dongle from my Autocom Logic but on reflection maybe that was a transmitter; the BT receiver may be on the inside.  it's so long since I set it all up on my RT that I can't remember all the details.  i just know it works!