2011 R1200RT Brakes

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
HowardE

2011 R1200RT Brakes

Post by HowardE »

With spring approaching I'm going to replace the brake pads on my 2011 RT. What brand and type of brake pad are most of you riders using and from what suppier?  Also if I replace them myself are there any gottchas or tricks that I need to know. Thanks in advance.
Budman

Re: 2011 R1200RT Brakes

Post by Budman »

Most people go with the EBC line of brake pads. They make several different types for motorcycles and can be specific to your kind of riding. They have a very informative web site. Just Google EBC Brakes.
Replacing the pads is pretty straight forward. Just be sure that you  torque all the bolts back to spec. 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As a retired parts manager I have made lots of money replacing discs on bikes that have been fitted with after market pads.  My advice fit original Brembo ones.  If nothing else they have a long life compared with other stuff. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

[attachimg=2]
HowardE wrote: With spring approaching I'm going to replace the brake pads on my 2011 RT. What brand and type of brake pad are most of you riders using and from what suppier?  Also if I replace them myself are there any gottchas or tricks that I need to know. Thanks in advance.
Hi  HowardE, Hope this photo pdf is of use, - just open the below  pdf file for sequence /other photos ;    ( some of the last para should be with the first photo ie `spring clip  )           
Regards,
Steve      ;)
Attachments
IMG_0572.JPG
Brakes.pdf
(520 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
Last edited by stelyn on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Once tried EBC Pads, they were no good & I threw them away.

On this occasion, I have to agree, only use Genuine BMW stuff.

Fairly straight forward to replace, taking the calipers off makes it easier to push the pistons back without damaging the discs.

On my 2007 RT, had the Front discs replaced twice under Warranty, second pair were a modified design, nothing to do with the brake pads.
Last edited by David. on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
HowardE

Post by HowardE »

Thanks Stelyn for the info, very helpful. Still a little confused about brands, some people swear by EBC others swear at EBC. I guess there's no one right answer.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

HowardE wrote: Thanks Stelyn for the info, very helpful. Still a little confused about brands, some people swear by EBC others swear at EBC. I guess there's no one right answer.
Honest, in a Brembo calliper use Brembo(BMW) pads. Anything else will quickly become a false economy..
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I cannot see anything wrong with EBC pads providing they are the genuine article. Are Brembo better than EBC, don't know, I guess it a bit like tyres and oil we all have our favourites. However beware of fakes. The nerd is a great place to shop but be very weary of fake pads. If your unsure then stick with OEM Brembo pads bought from a reputable company, that way you cannot go wrong. Just do not buy cheap !!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

These were the Pads which I bought for a 2007 RT (same for 2011), they were purchased from MotorWorks.

EBC FA335HH front caliper brake pad set EVO BREMBO. The calipers these fit have BMW on the outside face and BREMBO stamped on the inner face.

From my experience, Brembo are better than EBC.

Last edited by David. on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I bought a set of EBC FA209/2HH for the rear brake for my 2014 RT. I'm curious to see if they last any longer than OEM. Not fitted yet as the OEM pads are lasting better than I was expecting. I really like the feel of the front brakes, which I'm guessing are going to last for ages, so will replace them with OEM Brembo pads when the time comes.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

I've found nothing to complain about regarding the original pads performance or lifespan, I'd stick with them when it comes time for replacement.
Chad

Post by Chad »

I think it's false economy buying none original parts personally. what's the point of paying top dollar for a premium car/motorbike if you are going to put cheap or inferior parts on it? When it comes to tyres and brakes you want the best.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I think it's false economy buying none original parts personally. what's the point of paying top dollar for a premium car/motorbike if you are going to put cheap or inferior parts on it? When it comes to tyres and brakes you want the best.

SPOT ON. You get what you pay for and saving a few quid on things like brakes is daft. 
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Ditto- totally agree with RTman10  ( and he should know )....... ;)

Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Firstly I do not advocate buying "cheap" brake parts. I have always bought the best.
But, BMW do not make brake pads. They source them from an outside supplier. Possibly Brembo.
If you can buy genuine Brembo pads for the bike at half the price then that makes sense to me.
I had a very quick look and found genuine Brembo at £25 a set compared with BMW Motorrad at £50 a set.
Mind you, I cocked up my petrol consumption readings a while ago (Oops), so I could have this wrong as well.
It will be a while until I need to think about changing pads, so I'll keep an eye on this thrtead.
Ride safe.
8)