2011 R1200RT Brakes

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: 2011 R1200RT Brakes

Post by David. »

fatnfast wrote:BMW pads, well have a look at these genuine pads that were on the rear of my Boxer Cup replica. The friction material and backing plate decided to part company.
How old were these pads & what mileage had they done.

On a 2011 RT, the inner (nearest the wheel) brake pad back plate has two holes in it, if the disc is visible, they are at their wear limit.
The inner pad friction material is also thinner than the outside pad.
Is it possible that moisture has got between the back plate & the pad and that it's the formation of rust which has forced the friction material off the back plate.

http://www.bmw-motorrad-store.co.uk/bmw ... odels.html

Click on the 3 images in this link to enlarge the photos & all will be revealed.
Last edited by David. on Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Sorry to drift a bit off the thread but does anyone know who can supply OEM Pads at a better price than UK BMW Dealers, Thanks.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

These are the pads for the Front,
http://www.bmw-motorrad-store.co.uk/bmw ... 200gt.html.

I last bought some Front Pads from Cooper Sunderland in 2012, they were £52.80 per pair.

Since then, I now always ask for some discount & usually get 10% off, this would make the price £47.52, about the same as the BMW Motorrad Store.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Thanks for the link David. Not a lot cheaper than Dealers but a small saving never the less. But then delivery charges will push prices back to dealer prices again. Seems like the best bet is, as you say, to ask for a discount. I myself got a fair lump off a 49 litre Top Case at Coopers.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

DaygloDavid wrote: How old were these pads & what mileage had they done.
On a 2011 RT, the inner (nearest the wheel) brake pad back plate has two holes in it, if the disc is visible, they are at their wear limit.
The inner pad friction material is also thinner than the outside pad.
Is it possible that moisture has got between the back plate & the pad and that it's the formation of rust which has forced the friction material off the back plate.
http://www.bmw-motorrad-store.co.uk/bmw ... odels.html
Click on the 3 images in this link to enlarge the photos & all will be revealed.
Hi DD. They were from my 2003 R1100S boxer cup with a full BMW service history and 26k miles. The paperwork suggested they were 6 years old when I discovered them, not an excessive age for the pad to delaminate really, but does show the need to do a proper check every year!
It was a cracking bike, but for everyday use the RT wins.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

fatnfast wrote:They were from my 2003 R1100S boxer cup with a full BMW service history and 26k miles. The paperwork suggested they were 6 years old when I discovered them, not an excessive age for the pad to delaminate really, but does show the need to do a proper check every year!
Out of interest, how long was it between the last BMW Service & you finding them in this state.

The pads do look a bit "thin", bearing in mind that the inner pad is thinner to start with.

If the pads get down to or near their wear limit, there is a possibility that they cannot dissipate the heat generated when braking & fall apart, just a thought.

I saw the same happen on a Suzuki Bandit when helping a guy remove the rear wheel to repair a puncture, the pads just fell out in bits.
Last edited by David. on Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

Just over a year. I had just bought the bike and do my own servicing/repairs. I doubt the pads warrant more than a visual inspection during a service?. The pads do look a little thin in the pics, but they were not even half worn.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

fatnfast wrote:I had just bought the bike and do my own servicing/repairs. I doubt the pads warrant more than a visual inspection during a service?
I'd tend to agree with you, the Used 2012 RT which I purchased had been Serviced by a BMW Dealer 5 months & 1,000 miles prior to my ownership,
the brake calipers & pads were filthy, they needed a good clean out.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:I saw the same happen on a Suzuki Bandit when helping a guy remove the rear wheel to repair a puncture, the pads just fell out in bits.