Poll of Tyre Options - R 1200/1250 RT

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.

What Tyres are on Your RT.

Bridgestone Battlax BT 021
2%
Continental Road Attack
No votes
Dunlop Roadsmart I
1%
Metzeler Roadtec Z6
No votes
Metzeler Roadtec Z8
16%
Michelin Pilot Road 2
No votes
Continental Road Attack 2GT
No votes
Michelin Pilot Road 4GT
28%
Michelin Pilot Road 3
No votes
Pirelli Angel GT
3%
Bridgestone T30 GT
No votes
Metzeler Roadtec 01
16%
Avon Storm 2 Ultra
1%
Dunlop Roadsmart III
6%
Avon Spirit ST
No votes
ContiMotion
1%
Pirelli Angel GT2
3%
Michelin Road 5 GT
19%
Bridgestone Battlax T31
3%
Dunlop Roadsmart IV
1%
Bridgestone Battlax BT 023
1%
Continental ContiRoad
No votes

Total votes: 108

Levisp

Re: Poll of Tyre Options - R 1200 RT, K26 (2012)

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: I think the only way to get mileage like that is the way I got a 1600GTL the 600 miles from central France back home with no tread wear at all, in the back of a van.

This made me smile. :)
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Dori928 wrote: The photo of the PR3 rear tire in Reply 17 by Budman has 4mm of tread after 22,000 km (14k mi)

The previous rear & front tires, both PR 3's, were replaced after 26,000 km (16k mi), but still had a little tread left.

My next set will without a doubt be PR-4's !

These are just amazing mileages how do you do it. I could have got 7K from RA2 GT. Maybe with a push they might have gone to 8K. However I never wear them to the limit of 1 mm. In my experience having had 2 blow outs caused by sharp metal object embedding themselves into the rear, I like something in the centre of the tyre. However 8K is a long way off 14-16K. Question "Can you have fun and still obtain such high mileages?" or "Are the roads less abrasive on your side of the pond?" What ever the answer, impressive and something I will never obtain.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Answer to question one, definitely no fun.  Question two, maybe American miles are like American gallons and the roads are made of cotton wool..   
Budman

Post by Budman »

We have some of the best riding around here in North Carolina. Its not necessary to burn off tires to have a good time. I think some of the best advice I've ever received when learning to ride was to ride my own ride. I've never been to Europe so I wont judge what happens or how people ride there.
In the US there are a lot of wide open spaces and a good interstate system to get you from one place to another. Or you can hop on a two lane and just cruise through the countryside. Either way you go its important to ride to your skill, and comfort level.

Anyone making their way to the States, Ill be glad to show you around our little part of the world. Great riding and true southern hospitality.

Y'all come and see how we do it here!

Budman 
Dori928

Post by Dori928 »

Levisp wrote:
These are just amazing mileages how do you do it. I could have got 7K from RA2 GT. Maybe with a push they might have gone to 8K. However I never wear them to the limit of 1 mm. In my experience having had 2 blow outs caused by sharp metal object embedding themselves into the rear, I like something in the centre of the tyre. However 8K is a long way off 14-16K. Question "Can you have fun and still obtain such high mileages?" or "Are the roads less abrasive on your side of the pond?" What ever the answer, impressive and something I will never obtain.
The roads in the US are quite good. The distance from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific is 3000 mi (4800km), longer if you take the "scenic" route. Once you get there, you have to do that same mileage to get home. The distance from southern Texas to Canada is 1600 miles (2575km).  We have a lot of wide open spaces!! Lots of places to ride. I weigh 130 plus gear and luggage, but I pack pretty light.  Perhaps the combination of weight and smooth roads contributes to longer tire wear.  I get better mileage out of tires than most of my riding buddies here in the US as well. I run them at 36-40psi (2.48-2.76 BAR).  I have fun, but I am not pushing the limits of my tires.

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Glad your having fun, after all thats what its all about. I guess your weight and riding style have a lot to do with your high mileages your can get from your tyres. I have never ridden in the States but have driven a fair amount and the one thing I have noticed is that once away from cities, there is generally a relaxed motoring style. You like to cruise and there is nothing wrong with that.  :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Original Michelin Pilot Road (PR1) is one of the few tyres with a tread groove across the full width of the tyre.

This type of tread pattern & those tyres with a circumferential centre groove are probably better to monitor tyre wear.

Are you aware of any of the tyres listed by BMW for fitment on RT's which share similar tread pattern(s) & are not slick in the centre.
Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Spotted an RT today with Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart fitted.

The tread pattern does cross the centre of the tyre.

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

My bike came with Z8s on it and although I think they are a good tyre simply based on the fact they do not frighten me and sure footed, so to speak, I will change them for the PR4s when ready. I used the PRs on the Tiger (roadie) and wow they were great.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Spencert231 wrote: My bike came with Z8s on it and although I think they are a good tyre simply based on the fact they do not frighten me and sure footed, so to speak, I will change them for the PR4s when ready.

same plan here...
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Now running on the PR4's,  ( not GT versions - standards have the softer side walls )OK so have  only covered 300 miles so far, but what a difference already.    Fantastic grip through the bends, reduced  `road noise' , the  bike feels `transformed',  yes,  I appreciate any brand of  new tyres once scrubbed in always tend to give a  `new feel',  but these are good.    It almost feels like I'm now riding a different Bike,
only with more mileage,  will time tell,  but so far am well pleased with them........ ;)  :whistle:
Last edited by stelyn on Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

stelyn wrote: Now running on the PR4's,  ( not GT versions - standards have the softer side walls )OK so have  only covered 300 miles so far, but what a difference already.    Fantastic grip through the bends, reduced  `road noise' , the  bike feels `transformed',  yes,  I appreciate any brand of  new tyres once scrubbed in always tend to give a  `new feel',  but these are good.    It almost feels like I'm now riding a different Bike,
only with more mileage,  will time tell,  but so far am well pleased with them........ ;)  :whistle:
What were you running before?
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi Richardbd, -  Metzelers, Z8's    8)
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

stelyn wrote: Hi Richardbd, -  Metzelers, Z8's    8)
Same as I have at the moment but not many miles left in them.  Have had PR3s and 4s before and loved them - especially the 3s.

Do you reckon there is really much of a difference, compared to the Z8?
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi Richardbd,  mine were worn down  to about 85% so I suppose I  could have got more mileage  out of them.    In the past, on previous Bikes I have tended to buy Bridgestones ,  this is my first experience with Michellins .  I know it could be considered `early days',  and  you have to factor in road surfaces /weather conditions and rider habits, ect ect,  but in my opinion these are far better tyres  than those Z8's that I am well shot of. 
I also went on reccomendations  from other local club members using PR4's,  so should the tyres  not live up to all the hype and expectations,  I'll revert back to the BT 023'S.      ;) 
Last edited by stelyn on Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.