Continental Road Attack tyres on 2014 RT LC

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Chad

Continental Road Attack tyres on 2014 RT LC

Post by Chad »

As you can see I'm a newbie on the forum, so apologies if this has been mentioned previously. I've just replaced my 2010 RT mu with the new wet head RT. I've noticed a couple of times today that the traction control light has been flashing on & off as I acclerated out of bends etc. At one point I actually felt the rear wheel breakaway very briefly, resulting in my backside twitching like a rabbits nose. I wasn't at any stage working the bike excessively hard and so was very surprised to find the rear tyre struggling for grip (dry roads, 14 degrees Celsius) quite so frequently. The tyres are 'continental road attack'. Has anyone had any problems with ease tyres? On my previous RT's I've used Michelin road pilot 3's which have performed impeccably in all weathers including high speed runs on the autobahns 2 up. I feel the need to change to these tyres but the current ones are as new.
Levisp

Re: Continental Road Attack tyres on 2014 RT LC

Post by Levisp »

Hi Chad and welcome to the forum. I had Road Attack 2 GTs on my bike and found them to be fine. Just replaced them with Z8 and cannot decide if they are any better or not. I am presuming your tyre pressures are good. Which mode were you riding in ?
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi Chad and welcome to the forum,  , as above  with Levisp,  knowing the ride `mode'  and tyre pressure settings may help and provide a clue,  but am sure you should be able to soon  find the answer here ,  just wait for our  established  `Wizards' to start `posting'      ;)
Last edited by stelyn on Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Chad

Post by Chad »

Wow, what a quick response! I've been riding in both road mode and in rain mode to see if this 'keenness' to spin is owing to the sensitive throttle setting. The ESA is on normal, selected with ride only, no luggage. I'm getting decent feel from the front wheel but was just concerned about the overall grip. I checked the tyre pressures and they're spot on (owners manual). My buddy who was riding behind me saw the bike skip & twitch but he believed there was a spillage on the road, but I saw nothing. This doesn't however explain why the traction control seems to be working overtime. My 10 plate RT with the road pilots on never once faltered; in fact last year on the Helmsley Road I actually grounded the footrest on it that's how confident inspiring the pilots were. However I'll be guided by you fellow riders before I rush to change them. It could be that the new RT's are more potent than I'm giving them credit for...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Levisp mentioned his were GTs which relates to the wall thickness. RTs demand strengthen walls, not the normal sports type wall.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I believe the traction control comes on earlier in Rain Mode than Road Mode and later in Dynamic Mode. I haven't seen the traction control light come on yet, must be a pussy cat with the throttle. I would ride a few more miles and if your still unhappy then take it to your dealer and ask them to put the bike on their diagnostic machine and check to see if there are any faults. Could just be you were having far too much fun :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Page 106 in the Rider's Manual is about the Riding Mode & explains as Levisp has posted about the way ASC intervenes more/less in the different Riding Modes.

Although the roads may be dry & the ambient air temperature is 14 degC, residual salt on the road can adversely affect adhesion.

Having had a 2010 RT, now got a 2012 model & test ridden an LC, I would say that the LC is definitely more potent.

Grounding footrests on the Helmsley TT is good going, perhaps a has been suggested, you were just having too much fun.

How many miles have you got on the bike.
Last edited by David. on Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

Post by Chad »

The rain mode primarily dampens the drive-by-wire throttle response, to help prevent wheel spin. It has the same effect as putting my Range Rover in snow mode. I've read that when in rain mode the ASC is more responsive, by arresting any wheelsin immediately. My previous RT's had ASC and only ever intervened when the front wheel tried to lift. I was never aware of the ASC cutting in on corners hence my suspicion of the Continentals. I'll probably wait & see what they're like in the warmer weather before I bin them, but I think I'll go back to Michellin road pilots before the annual Germany trip!
Chad

Post by Chad »

Actually Dayglo, that's a very good point about the roads. I noticed the Helmsley TT was particularly bad today. Although the slip I had was actually going up saltburn bank. But that too may well have had a bit of salt residue. Re the grounding of my footrest, I don't always ride so enthusiastically... But when the road is free from traffic  and the tarmac hot...
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

As has been said, in principle, ASC monitors the front & rear wheel rotation speed & if the rear becomes faster than the front (spinning) , the engine power is cut, reducing traction.

Hence the situation on your previous RT when the front wheel lifted, reducing the rotational speed.

Saltburn Bank is a steep road with hairpin bends on a Bus route, tyre temperature could have reduced because of road speed & possibly split diesel from the Buses etc.

I did find that the Twin Cam RT felt more "planted" on the road than the LC.

Tyres are a personal choice, if you don't feel confident for what ever reason then go with what you know & trust.
Last edited by David. on Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Continental Road Attack 2, an unusual tread pattern & Road Attack for comparison.

Image Image
Last edited by David. on Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

Post by Chad »

DaygloDavid wrote: Continental Road Attack 2, an unusual tread pattern.

And the tips of those Apex's on the tread on the front tyre have worn down disproportionately to the rest of the tread.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Had R1200RT LC from new last May,  OE where Continental Road Attack 2, right from the start had problems with the front washing out particularly on wet/damp overbanding. Very disconcerting! 
Never got used to it so changed to Michelin Road Pilot 4 after 4000 miles. First time I've had these on a bike & must say they're very good.
Riding throughout the year, I've had the ASC flash a few times on salted roads.
I leave it on Ride mode all the time ;)
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
guest3459

Post by guest3459 »

I have the conti's on the 2104 LC I bought in January - anyone any idea of how many miles I may get out of the rear - 4k miles on it now it looks ok but I've a number of miles to do next month and would hate to be 'caught out'
thanks
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

From my experience 6K. My last three sets of tyres were down to just under 2mm and squared off by 6K. Thats my riding style and about 50% two up.