MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Re: MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT

Post by daverj »

My Z8's have done 5500 miles 3.5 left on rear  no sign of squaring off.  Very pleased with their all round performance.  By all accounts the new 01  Roadttec even better.
R1250RT LE
mack62

Post by mack62 »

I had PR 3s on my R1150.  Great tyres in the wet and as an all year rider that's important. 

Bridgestones on the 2013 R1200.  Decent on the dry but not as good as the PR3s in the wet.  I plan to put PR4s on this bike once the others are finished. 
2013 R1200RT 90th Anniversary
mattye

Post by mattye »

Just had a pair of PR4's fitted to my 2014 RT LC. I've used PR3's and 4's on my last 3 bikes and think they are great. IMHO most tyres are similar when the roads are dry and give enough grip for the normal rider. It's in the wet or damp conditions that tyre choice becomes more apparent.

I've never had a twitch or a slid with PR3's or PR4's. I've been riding for 14 years and have a ROSPA Silver advanced qualification so I would say I 'make progress' when I ride rather than a really fast rider and PR3's and PR4's have been great. Mileage is quite good with 6-7K from a rear and about 12-13K from a front.

Anyway just my opinion if anyone is thinking of changing to PR4's.

Just one last thing. They are quite expensive. I was quoted £390 for frt and rear supplied and fitted by my local garage. In the end I bought them on-line for £200 and then had a local garage fit them to loose wheels for £24.
999stu

Post by 999stu »

I've just replaced my pr4s for another set after getting 9000 miles of 90% motorway riding best tyre by far  :kacsint2:
ROSPA diploma,IAM masters
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

999stu wrote: I've just replaced my pr4s for another set after getting 9000 miles of 90% motorway riding best tyre by far  :kacsint2:

9,000 miles out of  rear tyre???

You either weigh half what I do, or consider a tyre to be ok when it has half the tread mine have when I change them!!
paulgelineau

Post by paulgelineau »

Just took my 2015RT in for the 7000 mile service.  Front tire showed cupping and close wear bar/tread depth.  Rear showed flat in middle and also wear bar/tread depth close.  Both are MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT.  Dealer recommended replacement of both.  I don't ride aggressively and the need for speed was satisfied during younger years of riding.  Light touring loads and no two up riding.  Wife has an F800GT.  We have good roads here in the Okanogan Highlands of Washington state (USA).  No off roading.  Typical performance for this tire??  Seems a bit low mileage for replacement.  Thoughts??
Cheers,
PG
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

paulgelineau wrote: Just took my 2015RT in for the 7000 mile service.  Front tire showed cupping and close wear bar/tread depth.  Rear showed flat in middle and also wear bar/tread depth close.  Both are MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT.  Dealer recommended replacement of both.  I don't ride aggressively and the need for speed was satisfied during younger years of riding.  Light touring loads and no two up riding.  Wife has an F800GT.  We have good roads here in the Okanogan Highlands of Washington state (USA).  No off roading.  Typical performance for this tire??  Seems a bit low mileage for replacement.  Thoughts??
Cheers,
PG

I've never had 7,000 miles out of a set of tyres in my life - on any bike!  From a front maybe, every now and then but certainly never from a rear.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Metzlers than came on my 15 were toast at 4000 miles, I'am hoping for 6-7 thousand on my PR4's
Cupping is a known problem with pr4's
problem many have experienced with Z8's is rear tire looks good in morning and belts showing at lunch no wear bars
Jim
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

My last three sets of tyres on the RT each lasted 6000 miles. PR4 GT on my Pan 1300 did 8000 miles which for a heavy bike is amazing. Just fitted PR4 GT on the RT so it will be interesting to see how they last.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

richardbd wrote:
I've never had 7,000 miles out of a set of tyres in my life - on any bike!  From a front maybe, every now and then but certainly never from a rear.
Maybe you should try leaning the bike over going around corners to reduce wear to the tyre centre  ;D

I have 5,000 on my rear PR4 GT with 3.5mm tread depth left  :)
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Benchmark wrote: I have 5,000 on my rear PR4 GT with 3.5mm tread depth left  :)

At that rate you will get 10K out of the rear tyre. Hope I do. :)
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Benchmark wrote: Maybe you should try leaning the bike over going around corners to reduce wear to the tyre centre  ;D

I have 5,000 on my rear PR4 GT with 3.5mm tread depth left  :)

It's always the edges that go first on mine...

:alas: :alas:
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

richardbd wrote:9,000 miles out of rear tyre?
Steve F got 9K out of his tyres.
Steve F wrote:Just changed the tyres this week after 9000 miles on the originals, for another set of PR4 GTs.
Last edited by David. on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

I still don't get how you bods manage to get 9k out of a tyre.  In all my years/miles I don't think I've ver done better than 6k and even then it was knackered...

Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

richardbd wrote: I still don't get how you bods manage to get 9k out of a tyre.  In all my years/miles I don't think I've ver done better than 6k and even then it was knackered...

I just do!! :enjoying: Seriously though, at 9000 miles, yes, they were getting low but by no means illegal, just noticing a pronounced change in handling. I always aim to keep my tyres inflated at 2.5 F and 2.9 R cold. My riding over the last 15 months with these tyres is predominantly motorway riding (UK & W Europe), one up all the time, and when touring, a full set of luggage with another roll bag across the pillion seat. My previous set of PR3s on my K13GT (with very similar road riding) returned approx 8000 miles! :)