MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
stelyn

Re: MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT

Post by stelyn »

Hmmm !!  :whistle:  :eggs:
Last edited by stelyn on Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Stelyn is there much difference between the Z8s and the PR4s?
Mine came with the Z8s but as yet have only managed to do 1k miles (I was hoping it would come with PR4s)
I've had no issues with the Z8s so far but not had much use in the wet or on twisties yet (mostly motorways)
If you couldn't get PR4s next time would you go back to the Z8s or try other?
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Maz12 wrote: Stelyn is there much difference between the Z8s and the PR4s?
Mine came with the Z8s but as yet have only managed to do 1k miles (I was hoping it would come with PR4s)
I've had no issues with the Z8s so far but not had much use in the wet or on twisties yet (mostly motorways)
If you couldn't get PR4s next time would you go back to the Z8s or try other?
Hi Maz12, it is obviously only my opinion, but yes.    I find these PR4's have better grip, especially in the wet and  the general road handling is impressive,  the tyres are now worn in and still perform like new.  The GT versions have `stiffer' walls, thus the standard 4's are a bit more forgiving, noticeably through the bends.    Never used Michellins before but so far, so good.  :)  Have used Bridgestones in the past and I suppose at the moment and the way these PR4's seem to be performing would  stick with these again,  2nd choice being the Bridgestones.  A friend bought a set at the same time for his Aprilla and he agrees his handling and grip has also improved, giving more confidence.    Until another manufacturer no doubt comes up with something better I would recommend the 4's....... ;)
Regards,
Steve
Chad

Post by Chad »

I got a price on a pair of pilot 4's yesterday; £288 fitted. I've used this supplier for 15 yrs + and always found them to be amongst the cheapest- but £288 seems rather expensive to me. I've probably got about 6/8 months of tread left on the Conti's but I can't tolerate them any longer, they're absolutely awful. I'll be changing to my tried & trusted pilots this week. Does anyone know of a supplier in the north east/North Yorkshire area that can do better than the above quote?
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi Chad, my PR4's were £209  ( discount price- should have been 230 ),  but I had to pay a further £25 to have them fitted at BMW, which I thought was reasonable.    The northern suppliers were if it helps,  C & J  Wilson (Uphall ) Ltd,  Livingston West Lothian.    I've seen on the Web tyre suppliers that offer good deals on these, may be worth doing a search........ ;)
Last edited by stelyn on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Chad wrote:Does anyone know of a supplier in the north east/North Yorkshire area that can do better than the above quote?
National Bike Tyres, http://www.nationalbiketyres.co.uk/
Chad

Post by Chad »

Thanks Dave, I'll give them a ring tmw. I'm going for the pilot 4 GT's. And may even ask national bike tyres if we can burn my old Conti's in the yard!
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Chad wrote: And may even ask national bike tyres if we can burn my old Conti's in the yard!
made me laugh, reading that one Chad......    :alas:
Last edited by stelyn on Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Well I called into Nationbiketyres as Davidglo suggested & currently getting a pair of Pilot 4 GT's fitted. Cheers for tip Dave- £246 as apposed to £288:-) better go now the fire truck has just pulled up...
Attachments
image.jpg
Chad

Post by Chad »

I've now done 200 miles since getting the pilot 4 GT's fitted yesterday. What a difference these have made to the handling. Absolutely transformed the bike! If anyone has continentals fitted, throw them away and get the pilots fitted!!
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Chad good to hear you like the tyres. New rubber always feels great. As they wear could you give us your impressions. Particularly interested when they are half worn. At this point some tyres feel horrible others are fine. Be interested in what mileage you get out of them. I have just fitted Pirelli Angel GTs and have now done 1000 miles on them and they feel brilliant. However not sure they are going to last too long. Measured back and have already lost 1 mm so at that wear rate the back will last 6000 miles maybe less.
Chad

Post by Chad »

I will do. I'm off to Germany for a couple of weeks in July so I'll certainly clock some miles up then. I'll just have to slalom through the white lines on the autobahns to stop any squaring off. Plus it stops my wife from falling asleep...
rglassma

Post by rglassma »

Pr4s are great tires on my '05.  Have about 3k on them and love them.
BMjoe64

Post by BMjoe64 »

Got 6,000 miles on my PR4's and hoping for another 1,000 or so, but France/Alps trip and a slow puncture in the wrong place means I am getting a new set tomorrow for £260 fitted. Need to learn how to straight line accelerate and overtake without as much gusto when new ones fitted, would like to think careful use would give me 8,000. They are great tyres, had a set on Caponord TPP and Kawasaki Z1000SX, always reliable and give plenty of confidence in the damp/wet.
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

Well I did 2,000 miles on my 1200 LE with MPR4(GT)'s and loved them but then had to swap the bike after 6 weeks due to problems (with the electrics) and, despite agreeing it would have the same tyres fitted, it came with Metzeler Z8.s. I did 760 miles in all conditions on them and they were "OK" but just didn't have the assured feel (wet or dry) that the Michelins did. Also didn't handle cats eyes or ridges in the road so well and on a bend in the wet or dry, just felt less planted. On a cross wind they sometimes got a tiny wiggle too which was wierd. So on the first service on the new bike, the garage fitted new Michelins and.... woah! The difference in confidence and just feeling right was even bigger than I expected. Hated 'wasting' tyres but I'm sure they'll put them on a second hand bike that had worn ones when it was handed in. Very happy boy again - MPR4GT's for me all the way!
Last edited by Steveeung on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext