MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Chad

Re: MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT

Post by Chad »

bunny2585 wrote: 2014 RT two up will do 140mph no problems at all. I don't think the colour matters lol, but mines a Callisto grey.
Agreed- Since the 2 up, fully loaded trip I've since unleashed my LC solo without luggage (empty panniers on only)- and have found that these LC's will catapult you to 140 without any hesitation what so ever! Hard to believe it's a 270-280kg tourer...
Budman

Post by Budman »

Ann and I just returned from a 300 mile day trip from our home in Denver NC up to Hot Springs by way of a great road nicknamed the rattlesnake, NC 209. We had a great ride and spent about an hour in the hot springs. Had a great lunch in town and then headed home by way of NC 25. When we got home and put all the gear away I checked the tires and pressure just like I always do.
I have 10,330 on  this set of PR4 GTs, most of it loaded and two up. I could probably get another 1500 out of them but we plan on going to Bridge Day in West Virginia  in about a month so Ill change them out in the next couple weeks.
I couldn't be more pleased with these tires. They have worn well and handle well in the wet and dry. Im not easy on the throttle but Im  not a racer by any means. I like to think of my style as steady with an occasional outburst.

These are great tires and Ill have another set on soon.

Bud 
fmantek

Post by fmantek »

Budman wrote:
I have 10,330 on  this set of PR4 GTs, most of it loaded and two up. I could probably get another 1500 out of them but we plan on going to Bridge Day in West Virginia  in about a month so Ill change them out in the next couple weeks.
I couldn't be more pleased with these tires. They have worn well and handle well in the wet and dry. Im not easy on the throttle but Im  not a racer by any means. I like to think of my style as steady with an occasional outburst.

These are great tires and Ill have another set on soon.

Bud
10.000 Miles? I just checked my tires, and I have around 3mm left on the front wheel after 5000km, so around 3100miles, I am guessing another 1500km and they are done for,

I guess the difference being road surface and max speed limits? Not that many chances riding highspeed over the autobahn ....

But in general I agree, great tires.

Frank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

It's not often I want to rush and spend money even if it is for some present on the bike, but my metzler Z8s tyres are awful 'shite'.

Well it wasn't loch to loch riding but equally as good. I road from Chabanais to Brantome, Perigord, South West France for a ride out. The day was nice and comfortable not to hot, unfortunately the section of the road which is a few miles of twists and turns had been freshly dressed with loose grit and chipping not ideal for any amount of speed and lean. I have ridden this section in similar conditions on two different bikes of the past few years. The first a Tiger 800 (roadie) fitted with Michelin PS3 absolutely superb like riding on a rail. Second bike Tiger XC due to shortage of tyres for the 21 inch front ended up with Anakee which were ideal.

The Metzler Z8s are like riding on marbles and will change them ASAP problem is I am still under 4000miles and a service to pay for yet. Spoke to my dealer who has agreed to let me get closer to the 6000 mile mark even though the bike is 16  months old (hospital time and recovery prevented riding). These tyres will be off as soon as and PR4s are going on unless I read of better.

Note: it was still an outstanding day just slowed by the tyre performance on grit.
moonie

Post by moonie »

Hi all, Newbie here!

I have just purchased a 2012 R1200RT and decided i need to replace the Michelin Road 3's that were on the bike. I have less than 1mm of tread on the front tire (near center) so I have no choice to but to spring for new tires pronto!

My local BMW dealer says they only carry the Road 4 GT's. Since I really don't have an  option, I'll be having them installed tomorrow.

i haven't experienced the previous Michelin's to any great degree (especially since they are pretty well used) so my only observations will come from the ride down to the dealer with the old tires and ride back with the new.

Its all super slab, so I'm hoping to see a dramatic change. 
The day my ship comes in, I'll probably be at the airport.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Hi Moonie not that there is anything wrong with the 4GTs but it's always nice to have a Comice based on an informed decision and not some dealer as good as saying 'take it or leave it'. Are there no other suppliers and tire fitters you can call? The dealership needs some competition if you ask me.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I wouldn't worry - they're great tyres.  I've had them on several bikes before (and PR3s before that)

My RT came with Metzler Z8s.  They were ok but I was glad when they wore out and I could swap back to my favourites...

;) ;)
moonie

Post by moonie »

richardbd wrote: I wouldn't worry - they're great tyres.  I've had them on several bikes before (and PR3s before that)

My RT came with Metzler Z8s.  They were ok but I was glad when they wore out and I could swap back to my favourites...

;) ;)
Apparently all of the new R1200RT's come factory installed with the 4GT's. I am sure as i grow wiser and more experienced my knowledge base will increase. But i have always been a dealership kind of guy when it comes to my cars so to start I'll go with his recommendation.

To provide a bit of history, I am 60 years old and decided to get back into motorcycle riding. My last ride was a BMW R65 i purchased new in 1984. I owned it for 4 years, but my wife at the time just hated it and me riding it........ :(  I knew I wanted a touring bike as my plans include riding in no particular order ~ The Pacific Coast highway/Route 66, and the Blue Ridge Parkway. I spent 3 months teaching myself about features and performance and always knew it would be another Beemer. I just had been out of it for so long i wanted to make sure I was getting a good deal and the right bike.

I discovered that 2012 seemed to be a watershed year as far as features and upgraded engine performance balanced by pricing. When i saw the ad on Craigslist for the one i now own, I was curious as to why it was so much cheaper than the ones i saw from other dealers and private sellers. Turns out it was a power sports dealer in a rural farming community and just needed to move it along as its not the type of style of bike his customer base wants. I offered him a $1K less than his ad which ended up being $4K less than NADA blue book for the same condition and mileage so I jumped on it about 6 months quicker than i was prepared to since i didnt have a current MC endorsement.

Anyway I love riding it and being part of the bigger community like this forum!

As far as dealers go, the week after i purchased the bike, i stopped by the dealer (about 60 miles away) to pick up my winter cover and they were having an Oktoberfest party with music and food and about 300 people and bikes! So that was very cool. I met several people that meet on weekends and take overnight rides through northern Michigan, so I'm looking forward to that in the Spring.

Apologies for rambling.  :)
Attachments
beemer dressed.jpg
se michigan dealer.jpg
Last edited by moonie on Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The day my ship comes in, I'll probably be at the airport.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, I agree thatr the PR4 is an excellent tyre (I also had them fitted on my previous Beemer, a K13GT) with great grip in both dry and wet conditions. However,it appears that the great levels of grip come at a price, ie tyre longevity severely cut down. My last two sets of PR3s on my K13GT lasted for a good 8500 miles (mainly high speed motorway and A road riding), whereas the PR4 on my K13GT only lasted approx 5000 miles (with similar riding). Currently monitoring the PR4s on my R12RT !! :-X
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

stelyn wrote: Now done nearly 2000 miles on the PR4s ( not GT' version ) and they are great, better grip and handling, glad I ditched the Z8'S for these....... ;)
[
I would keep a close eye on the tyres walls of the rear if its not a GT. The GTs have strengthened side walls and are the ones recommended by BMW. I once fitted non C rated Z8s to my 1600 and they lasted 400 miles. A heavier bike I know but the same type of difference.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Hey Moonie when you are 60yrs + you can ramble as much as you like, I know I do.

I can't wait to finish with the Z8s not keen at all. I am a little undecided on what to replace them with but it looks like the same as you have, the point I was trying to make to you was 'choice' and making your own mind up not some 'dealership'.

Enjoy the bike that looked like a good turn out at the Oktoberfest party.
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

My 2015 came with Z8 and I really like them now done 4500 miles and look about half worn. I used PR3 and 4 on previous bikes and found them a bit squirmy / floaty not really planted this was on a VFR1200F.  I would go for these again.
R1250RT LE
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Spencert231 wrote: Hey Moonie when you are 60yrs + you can ramble as much as you like, I know I do.

I can't wait to finish with the Z8s not keen at all. I am a little undecided on what to replace them with but it looks like the same as you have, the point I was trying to make to you was 'choice' and making your own mind up not some 'dealership'.

Enjoy the bike that looked like a good turn out at the Oktoberfest party.

Carefull I represent that, just turned 66
Z8's have 2500 miles on them coming off very soon,
Just waiting for my local dealer to have a sale price on PR4's, which they do on occasion
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I'm with daverj.  I've had Z8s on 1600s and always got about 6K out of them. My RT came with them and they look just over half gone with 6K in them.  Never had a scary moment on any if them.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Sorry if I sound like lobbying on Z8s not my intention. I just think tires are a personal preference married with confidence. I have not had any scared moments with the Z8s, but there again I temper my riding based on the feel (subjective) I get and the Z8s will be replaced as soon as I get good value out of these. A Welshman I want my money's worth.