Fuel grade

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Steveeung

Re: Fuel grade

Post by Steveeung »

The manual for the LC says Superunleaded RON 95. I thought Super Unleaded was RON 98?
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Think 98 is Premium Unleaded. That's what pre LCs are supposed to need. 
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

See attached from the manual - still confused :wonder:
Attachments
image.jpg
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

About what? 95 is Super unleaded.
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

Apologies I'm an idiot - my brain did not distinguish between 'super' and 'premium'    :not speak:
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

I was using the best, but have reverted to 95 been on it a while now and no change in engine performance.
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

Thanks to all  ^-^
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Whilst in Germany recently, there was 3 grades of fuel available, Super, Super E10 (both 95) & Super Plus (98).

The recommended fuel grade for my 2012 Twin Cam is 98, an alternative is 95 as per The Rider's Manual.

Super E10 was the cheapest at the pump, but I wasn't sure what it was, having not seen it before in the UK.

The LC Rider's Manual & some research has enlightened me, E10 is 10% Ethanol, (not full fat fuel),looks like it is more environmentally friendly with less emissions.

Last edited by David. on Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Oh no, just noticed that my 2012 TC Rider's Manual says that BMW recommends BP fuels, another reason to throw out a warranty claim as I usually use Tesco fuel.

http://www.simplemotoring.co.uk/superma ... 6ReV2f6t9A

"There are all sorts of stories that go round about supermarket fuels, but the fact is that supermarket fuel tanker lorries are often seen filling up from the same tanks as branded fuel lorries (e.g. Shell, BP) – so the chances are that most of the time, the fuel they sell is the same, although again, it may have different additives packages."
Last edited by David. on Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Think the 10 relates to ethanol content.  Don't think it's a problem in BMWs.  I always use Tesco fuel as I'm addicted to Tesco points.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:Super E10 was the cheapest at the pump, but I wasn't sure what it was, having not seen it before in the UK.

The LC Rider's Manual & some research has enlightened me, E10 is 10% Ethanol, (not full fat fuel),  looks like it is more environmentally friendly with less emissions.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

I've noticed better performance with higher grade when two up with luggage
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This article may make interesting reading about Ethanol in fuel, http://www.groups.tr-register.co.uk/wes ... pdate.html
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

From what I can gather, unleaded fuel was first introduced to the UK in 1986. As far as I know, irrespective of the octane rating, it's always been permissible for it to contain up to 5% Ethanol (E5). With the prospect of 10% Ethanol (E10) fuel becoming available in the UK, thought I'd do some research.

There are lots of articles out there, here is one from Wemoto, https://www.wemoto.com/news/article/124 ... y_to_the_u

In my 2012 TC Rider's Manual, it just says use unleaded fuel, no mention of Ethanol content. Hopefully, up to 5% (E5) is acceptable. If and when E10 is the norm in the UK, it looks like the higher octane fuels will continue to have a maximum of 5% (E5).

I also have a 1980 Yamaha XJ650. Obviously manufactured prior to unleaded fuel being available in the UK. I remember being concerned about running it on unleaded. It was pointed out to me that unleaded fuel was first used in Japan in 1972, therefore, bikes were manufactured to run on it. Yamaha UK also confirmed this to be the case.

Going forward, perhaps the best thing to do is use the highest octane rated fuel available for both bikes. The TC RT should have 98 RON any way, although 95 RON can be used. Presumably, if the latter 95 RON ends up with 10% Ethanol (E10),  it should not be used. With the Yamaha, it used to run on 2* leaded fuel (87 octane),  less than the current standard UL at 95 octane. The recommended octane ratings are usually minimums, not maximums.

Looking back at this thread, I may have used E10 once in the RT whilst in Germany.

How about a discussion on fuel, rather than oil or tyres for a change!
Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

To add "fuel" to the debate, BMW recommends BP fuels for my 2012 TC.

This was posted in the Low MPG thread, viewtopic.php?t=1

"Have done a comparison between Tesco & BP fuel over the same 100 miles with the cruise control set at 70 MPH (Sat. Nav.).
Returned 59.9 MPG & 64.6 MPG respectively, using the physical full to full method."

From what I have read, BP Ultimate does not contain Ethanol, whereas Tesco Momentum does.
Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.