General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
laughingboy
Bike Model and Year: 2005 R1200RT
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Fuel grade

Post by laughingboy »

Just wondering which grade most of you use? Being new to the RT and reading the label around the tank lid saying to use RON 98, I'd like your opinions. There's probably been discussions on this before but I haven't managed to come across any yet. Previously I've used the lower grade in all my sports bikes.

My lad uses an RT doing voluntary blood donor work and he just puts the lower grade in that as that's what they told him they all tend to use. Welcome your feedback.

Chris 
Tomorrow's another day  :-)
guest2360

Re: Fuel grade

Post by guest2360 »

When I had one I always used 98 believing they ran more smoothly. Many told me it made no difference.  The LC runs on 95.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

I tend to mix it up - not really sure why because I'm not really sure it makes any difference.

My Multistrada was really sensitive to poor fuel, the RT seems happy with whatever it's given...

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The recommended fuel grade is 98 RON, using a lower Octane fuel may result in "power and consumption related restrictions", probably not noticeable.

The Bike's Engine Management System will adapt itself to the fuel used.

When possible, I always use the higher Octane stuff, obviously it's more expensive.

As the Blood Bike is a Charity, they may use the cheaper low Octane fuel to save a few pennies.

Sports bikes are likely to have a lower compression ratio than the RT, hence the lower Octane fuel required.
Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laughingboy
Bike Model and Year: 2005 R1200RT
Has liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by laughingboy »

Thanks for that info Dayglodavid, taken note. Will fill with the higher grade.

Had a slight miss fire and stutter on the first ride out and also the fuel gauge went pear shaped. Robsons (Dealer at York ) replaced the gauge and thought the stutter could be down to old fuel as the previous owner hadn't ridden much in the past few years and the fuel would've been in a while. They checked it over again for me and all seemed okay on todays ride. I was quite impressed with Barrie Robson as he listened to my comments, came out and had the bike running and when it changed note, he got the mechanic out to check it over as he said it wasn't quite right! They gave it a check over when they changed the fuel gauge, which I understand is a common fault with the older RTs.

Thanks again,

Chris
Tomorrow's another day  :-)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You are correct about fuel reading errors.  It is in fact the actual sensor in the tank that packs up. New replacement ones seem OK.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

DaygloDavid wrote: The recommended fuel grade is 98 RON, using a lower Octane fuel may result in "power and consumption related restrictions",
Is there really  any `evidential advantage' in using  RON 98 octane ( PREMIUM )  fuel as recommended by BMW,  the Bikes seem to run fine on the 95 ?  -  is it  long term better for the system / more mileage / or better performance and smooth running,  or just more costly at the `Pump'  ?      Personally have so far  filled with the 95, and the RT  runs fine and responsive,  what  are you using ? ....... :whistle:
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The quote "power and consumption related restrictions", was taken out of the BMW Rider's Manual, their words not mine.

I use the "Full Fat" stuff when it's available.

VBH says, https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... TaBngvsPrc

Fifth Gear say, https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... QghB4asSnI
Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi David.  Think I'll try the `premium' on the next few `re-fills'  then, to see if there's a difference in  performance ect, thanks for the `info'  ( useful stuff again  )    :)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Pope

Post by Pope »

I run both my Ducati and RTLC on cheep basic supermarket unleaded.

I've experimented with the premium grades like Shell Vmax etc.. but i really cant see/feel any tangible benefit.
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Pope wrote: I run both my Ducati and RTLC on cheep basic supermarket unleaded.

I've experimented with the premium grades like Shell Vmax etc.. but i really cant see/feel any tangible benefit.

Agree I too can see no performance benefit. However it may result in a cleaner engine, less carbon deposit but as you cannot see that I'll presume its all hype. I'm sticking with the cheapest unleaded I can find.
CMB123

Post by CMB123 »

I always use the high octane myself for performance and longevity, which may or may not be true. Also petrol, aka gas on the west coast, sells for about 40 pence a litre. Oh, and the folks here think we are being gouged at this price :-)
marc.
Budman

Post by Budman »

So, if my calculations are correct you are paying the equivalent of $2.22  per US gallon. At home I'm paying $2.49 for premium and  $2.19 for regular.

To get ethanol free gasoline it will cost about 30 cents more per gallon.

Bud
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

CMB123 wrote: I always use the high octane myself for performance and longevity, which may or may not be true. Also petrol, aka gas on the west coast, sells for about 40 pence a litre. Oh, and the folks here think we are being gouged at this price :-)

40 pence a litre ! My last fill up yesterday was £1.09 a litre. Think I prefer your price :)
CMB123

Post by CMB123 »

Hi Budman- good math...I actually buy across the line in Washington State. I live on the line so the US gas station is closer and I have Nexus so I can breeze through the border crossing (Blane/Peace Arch). In Canada it's more than the U.S., I'm saving about 40 cents a litre by crossing the line! That's about forty bucks when I fill my F350 :-)
marc.