Hill Assist

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Chad

Hill Assist

Post by Chad »

Has anyone had hill assist fitted as a non factory fitment? I've heard this can be done at our local dealers for around £160?  (I've also heard you can get cup holders and ash trays fitted but that's restricted to IAM riders apparently...)
be
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Hill Assist

Post by richardbd »

Chad wrote: I've also heard you can get cup holders and ash trays fitted but that's restricted to IAM riders apparently...

funny how quickly you can go off people!

;)

The Hill Assist thingy is fab by the way - but no idea whether it can be retro-fitted...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Why would you need an ash tray.  Keep the screen all the way up and the ash stays on you fag until you next stop..
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but I'm not sold on the hill assist thing. I've gotten over the trusting it thing but it says you can get it to disengage by use of the throttle but it always feels like it gets to a threshold, unconvinced then relinquishes causing the bike to lurch forward which in anything but rain setting feels a little uncontrolled. I'm now only using it for a little respite on long holds then as I detect movement ahead I reapply the brake to disengage the launch old style - much smoother!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I agree, it can feel a bit odd and your not sure if you are going to stall or shoot off.  I did lots of practice with it on down slopes which helped but still use manual disengagement now and again .
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

steve.sharkey wrote: Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but I'm not sold on the hill assist thing. I've gotten over the trusting it thing but it says you can get it to disengage by use of the throttle but it always feels like it gets to a threshold, unconvinced then relinquishes causing the bike to lurch forward which in anything but rain setting feels a little uncontrolled. I'm now only using it for a little respite on long holds then as I detect movement ahead I reapply the brake to disengage the launch old style - much smoother!

Try disengaging in two stages. So a little throttle, slip clutch until it disengages and then accelerate away. This way it will disengage with more control and no lurch forward.
Pope

Post by Pope »

I dont know about ash trays, but waiting for Wunderlich or Touratech to make a Pipe holder for my RT....and the fairing pockets are great for stashing your Borkum Riff..... :whistle:
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

On the 2650 miles around Europe last year on the Suzuki I longed for a seat with a massager... The number of times it felt like I was sitting on my testicles and just wanted something to stroke them back into place...
Chad

Post by Chad »

steve.sharkey wrote: On the 2650 miles around Europe last year on the Suzuki I longed for a seat with a massager... The number of times it felt like I was sitting on my testicles and just wanted something to stroke them back into place...
I think the RT is as comfortable as your gonna get, but Ive come to the conclusion over the years that it doesn't matter what seat you've got, your butt & the ging gangs are gonna get sore eventually. It's partly the heat & partly the sitting on creased material. Years ago I once made the mistake of touring southern France in leathers in the middle of summer. My block & tackle were all but poached by the end of the week.
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

I did a 325 mile run last week and due to it being a tad chilly had the heated seat on 2, did a miniscule fart and for some reason was convinced I'd actually shit my pants!! Very disconcerting but it took my mind off the bum cheek pain I'd started feeling. As it was, I hadn't done the dastardly deed, thank feck!! But I do get a weird sensation from the heated seat!! ???
Last edited by 7vwh on Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Lets talk about silk.  I'm convinced that one of the main problems with seat comfort is heat.  If you wear  Gortex or leather, with a well heated seat either through the battery or summer you get a bit sweaty.  With cotton underpants this results in a sticking sensation and that results in soreness. I once rode from Goslar to Nottingham non stop except for fuel and ferry stops, nearly 700 miles. My last stop was on the M1 for fuel only 70 miles from home. When I got back on the pain was so bad I ended up standing in the pegs for a good 20 miles.
The solution, was silk underpants as they don't absorb dampness so you Don't end up sticking to the seat. The problem is they are not easy to find and I have a morbid fear of the consequence of ending up in A & E in a pair borrowed from the wife.  The answer is any material like silk has the same effect, rayon etc, it just needs to be very smooth and non absorbents.  Most such garments seem to be available around Valentine Day usually with less that funny pictured printed in them.  Works for me though.  .
Probably nOt the right thread for this subject, should be in seat assist.       
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMjoe64

Post by BMjoe64 »

Pope wrote: I dont know about ash trays, but waiting for Wunderlich or Touratech to make a Pipe holder for my RT....and the fairing pockets are great for stashing your Borkum Riff..... :whistle:
Pipe smoker aye, guessing that Borkum Riff is a make of slippers then? Can u get them in Brantanno's ??
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

My hill start feel opposite to yours. It only works now and again. Apparently needs a software reload. Will let you know.
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Why are you not releasing the hill start the same way you put it on or as they say "by the book" yes you can ride it out with clutch and throttle but I much prefer squeeze and go as I stalled several time trying to ride out of it.  >:D
Mark05RT

Post by Mark05RT »

Hate this system with a passion....even the electronic handbrake on my Volvo!

Is it not a basic skill to operate throttle and front brake with one hand to effect a smooth hill start?

Sorry if it offends!
BMW R1200RT SE 2010