Hill Assist

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
guest2360

Re: Hill Assist

Post by guest2360 »

I don't consider it an alternative for those unable to set off from a hill stop.  Its more like having a manual hand brake so you don't need to hold the brake lever on. As you paid for it, might as well give it a go. Its opposite to car systems that automatically come on when you switch off.
guest2826

Post by guest2826 »

I've been riding for over 45 years on a large variety of bikes and have no problem therefore doing hill starts. But I find that the hill start assist feature on my RT is quite useful but that's not because I can't do it normally. It's because it avoids having to hold the brakes on manually whilst waiting and also that little dance you have to do when switching between the foot brake, gear shift and hand brake levers if the bike has been in neutral, to avoid rolling back when starting off. I recall when I did the IAM course many years ago now, the guy instructing me described this as the "Hendon Shuffle" after the police riders training who supposedly called it that.

I'd agree hill start is not essential but that applies to a lot of the electronic features on the latest RTs. They're just highly developed bikes and BMW make a habit of constantly adding a host of newer such features to each new model. But since it came with the bike, which I've only had for a couple of weeks, I thought I'd try it out and discovered that I quite like it. There's no downside because you don't have to use it but I've found so far that it improves my riding enjoyment rather than detracting from it.
Pope

Post by Pope »

gaggle wrote: I'd agree hill start is not essential but that applies to a lot of the electronic features on the latest RTs. They're just highly developed bikes and BMW make a habit of constantly adding a host of newer such features to each new model. But since it came with the bike, which I've only had for a couple of weeks, I thought I'd try it out and discovered that I quite like it. There's no downside because you don't have to use it but I've found so far that it improves my riding enjoyment rather than detracting from it.

Exactly right sir.
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
Chad

Post by Chad »

It's only a matter of time before all big bikes have hill assist. Look at how many cars now have this along with the totally unnecessary electronic handbrake. Speaking of unnecessary gadgets... Central locking on a motorbike!!! Am I the only one that seems to stand there pressing the remote repeatly & then the switch in the handlebars?! This isn't quicker or easier it's just gives other riders at the cafes something to take the p@#* out of
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Love it
Nothing better then stopped at a traffic light or T section with an up or down decline and being able to plant both your feet on the ground while not having to hold onto the brake.
Central locking? Yep, use it all the time when having the bike at work.
Shift assist, can't beat it when hitting the mountains with plenty of sweepers and riding in a spirited manner with a group of friends.
2014 R1200RT-LC
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You've got it in one, no two, no three.  I would not like to live without any of it now. And then there's the three engine modes and cruise, the list just goes on.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: I would not like to live without any of it now. And then there's the three engine modes and cruise, the list just goes on.

I agree.  My MTS had keyless ignition.  I never appreciated it until I swapped to the RT, which doesn't.  Now I miss it...

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I had keyless on my MTS but no longer have on my RT. Do I miss it NO ! Sorry think its pointless. I have absolutely no issues with using a key. Hill assist when I have my wife on the back brilliant but otherwise could take it or leave it. Gear Shift Pro on the other hand is cool. I have a lot of fun with that gadget. After all its the only one you are actually using when moving, don't like stopping. Seriously I think all gadgets are cool providing what they are attached too is reliable. Love my RT just hope it stays reliable.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I had forgotten all about keyless and for a good reason.  I had it on a 1600 Exclusive.  Total waste if time and at one stage stranded me in the garage with the steering lock jammed on.  On the RT it looks a total afterthought as well.  Long live the key.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

I don't generally throttle out of the hill assist.  I use it when I need to adjust my gloves, or do something that requires hands to be occupied, and usually when I don't feel comfortable with a foot off the ground.  When it's time to pull away, I disengage it manually and then pull off like any other time.
Sooty57

Post by Sooty57 »

I guess the OP has got the answer by now, but just in case....
I recently bought a 2014 R1200RT LE that supposedly had the hill start. When I picked it up from the dealer I discovered I discovered that it did not have it. "No problem sir. It's a simple software update, that we will do F.O.C."  Big thanks to Lind Motorrad of Norwich.

I find it really useful when parked on a slope two-up and fumbling for change for a toll etc.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Probably as the OP posted in November 2015, so this is a post revival  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It's a bit more than just a software upgrade.  Includes a lump of machinery and an upgrade code.  Good job they told you beforehand it had it.
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

So whats wrong with the Hendon shuffle and applying the rear brake?

Just a thought, consider we should be ready to "go" just in case we need to move, so we don't get shunted from behind with the brake electronically applied.

Find it a useful bit of kit but ..... old habits and all that stuff.

GJ-MOTO
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

Hill start assist is great especially if you can't flat foot to the ground, as for keyless and central locking I would not miss either.
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015