weird rear brake pulsing

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

weird rear brake pulsing

Post by slowvet »

I've noticed lately  while applying both brakes the rear feels like it's pulsing/chatter. I've always been a both brakes at the same time kinda guy, is the abs telling me something? Also 2 more questions (probably dumb) but what does the symbol BC mean on the instrument panel? Also, resetting my odometer why is there a Trip 1 and Trip 2 and what is the difference?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: weird rear brake pulsing

Post by David. »

slowvet wrote:what does the symbol BC mean on the instrument panel
BC refers to the on-board computer display area.

Using the INFO Button on the LHS Handlebar Switch, you can scroll through the following displayed values.

Ambient temperature
Range
Average speed
Average consumption
Oil-level reminder (Oil)
Tyre pressures (OE)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Could be a warped disc or an ABS problem but with that you would probably get a warning symbol  showing.. 2 trips.  Useful on a tour. One keeping a record of your daily mileage, the other one the total. On the LC there are 3 of course as it has the auto one that resets after an 8 hour break.
slowvet
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

Thanks fella's!
Chad

Post by Chad »

I would second what RTman says; Pulsing (& not a rapid clicking sensation) is almost certainly a warped disc. Have a close look and see if there are any fracture lines across the disc. Either way it needs changing.Dave- how do you to scroll through temp/fuel consumption etc.? I haven't seen these units on my display & hadn't considered them until you mentioned it!

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Chad wrote: I would second what RTman says; Pulsing (& not a rapid clicking sensation) is almost certainly a warped disc. Have a close look and see if there are any fracture lines across the disc. Either way it needs changing.Dave- how do you to scroll through temp/fuel consumption etc.? I haven't seen these units on my display & hadn't considered them until you mentioned it!
Its easy on yours. On the Menu rocker switch press the diamond (top)  Then spin the wheel.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Is this with the engine running RTman?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Chad wrote:Dave- how do you to scroll through temp/fuel consumption etc.? I haven't seen these units on my display & hadn't considered them until you mentioned it!
Using the INFO Button on the LHS Handlebar Switch on a Twin Cam.

Looking at the LC Rider's Manual around page 59 may be helpful.
Last edited by David. on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Chad wrote: Is this with the engine running RTman?

Yes and no.  There are many more things available on  the LC. Items like oil level and tyre pressure need the engines running or just off. You can also programme which info shows as a default setting.  Its all in the book, somewhere.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Thanks for that chaps. I shall have a little twiddle next time I'm in the garage.
slowvet
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

Chad wrote: I would second what RTman says; Pulsing (& not a rapid clicking sensation) is almost certainly a warped disc. Have a close look and see if there are any fracture lines across the disc. Either way it needs changing.Dave- how do you to scroll through temp/fuel consumption etc.? I haven't seen these units on my display & hadn't considered them until you mentioned it!

It is also a rapid clicking sensation.
Chad

Post by Chad »

If it's a rapid clicking sensation that doesn't increase with speed, it's your ABS. (Although this seems unlikely if it hasn't sent a P code & thus illuminated a light on your dash) The easiest way to check this is to take the bike out on a straight road to about 20mph, and the apply the rear brake only very firmly to provoke a rear wheel skid. The ABS will engage and you should feel the same clicking sensation. If it is this clicking that you are experiencing it's a trip into the dealership to get in diagnosed properly to ensure that A: it's repaired properly for your own safety and B: to determine why the light isn't illuminated on your dash.
If you don't fancy trying the above, take the bike on a longer run and keep applying the rear brake gently but firmly at different speeds, and note if the pulsing or clicking increases with speed. If it does, it's not the ABS. Let us know how you get on with this.