New RT LC vs old RT- styling & finish

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Chad

New RT LC vs old RT- styling & finish

Post by Chad »

I could be sentimental about my old RT's but having looked at my LC in detail, I've come to the conclusion that the old RT was a better looking bike in some ways. The bodywork, especially along the sides between the fairing & rear wheel, just seem so much more thought about on the old model. By comparison the new RT seems to look a bit disjointed in this area. Also, some of the plastics in my opinion are not up to the same standard, especially the 'black' plastics. Anyone else thought this?
guest2360

Re: New RT LC vs old RT- styling & finish

Post by guest2360 »

Your probably right.  Goes a lot better though and things like the instrument panel are worlds better.  The weather protection kit fills in many of the holes but doesn't do much for its looks.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Totally agree with you Chad.

A year ago, I was all set to change my 2010 RT for an LC. Went to look at the LC in all 3 colours side by side, my wife & I both said, "oh, is that it", we were underwhelmed & decided to keep the Twin Cam.

In October last year, with the new 2015 colour becoming available, struck up a deal subject to a test ride, I wasn't impressed. Like you, preferred the look and clean lines of the Twin Cam.
Build quality seemed inferior, with plastics being flimsier & not as well secured, e.g. rubber grommets.

Felt I had to do something with my Twin Cam having 38,000 miles on it, bought a 2012 bike with 3,000 miles on the clock.

Last edited by David. on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

As above,  same here, ended up buying  a very  low mileage 2012 with top box and audio.... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Weather Protection Kit, LC v's Twin Cam.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Nobody going to defend the LC then?
How about
Better suspension
Better instruments
More power
Mirrors that work
Lights that work
Better weather protection
Central locking
Gearshift Pro
Three engine modes
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BMW R1200RT…… Twin cam or liquid cooled; A Comparison

https://birotus.wordpress.com/2014/10/2 ... omparison/
Chad

Post by Chad »

The performance is undoubtably superior, but handling wise, it'll take a better rider than I to notice any difference. Which is no bad thing. I couldn't fault the suspension on the TC  to be honest; the ESA worked well for me which is why I insisted on having it on my LC. Never the less the RT is without any doubt the best handling bike I have ever ridden. An average rider on a sports bike could only dream of staying with a good rider on an RT. And the thing with an RT, it'll do this 2up with your luggage too! In some ways, I wish bmw would have just put the LC motor in the TC, as it was only ever the comparatively lumpy engine & dare I say poor performance (ie for a 1200) that led me to change up. One point to note however, is that the LC looks better the TC when the panniers are removed, in my opinion anyway, it looks more sporty.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I think the LC looks more modern and the lack of rear lower panels make it look sportier. For me the LC wins on:

Performance
Fuel Economy
Handling
Easier Maintenance.

Maintenance is so simple on the LC which for me swings it. Makes it cheap to run.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Yes, the LC engine is certainly rapid, but IMO, has lost some of the Boxer Twin character & rides like a Jap inline 4 cylinder bike.

The LC cosmetic appearance also now resembles the looks of other manufacturers offerings too.

For me, the TC feels more "planted" on the road.

After riding out with guys on RT's when I had my VFR, I had no hesitation getting an RT, does everything I want in comfort.

An RT ridden well is a match for any bike on the public roads, ask PC Plod.

These two videos show how to remove the panels off an LC & a TC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDoeYK9tvmI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UHU4ZQ2C_Q
Last edited by David. on Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

Post by Chad »

I thought exactly the same Dave about the engine not feeling like a boxer once it's on the move. I don't object to that though. I also agree about the TC feeling more sure footed, but I think the LC has a quicker turn in and is more nimble when changing direction quickly. (flickable as they say) Perhaps BMW have changed the rake angle to enable this... I suppose what they've done in essence is make it a more sporty ride along with the sportier looks? What I did notice imediately however was the vast improvement in the brakes.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Perhaps the "Sporty" looks is why for me the RT has lost some of it's appeal, I like Retro.

However, I do like the new RS for looks, would have liked a HP2.

Last edited by David. on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DaygloDavid wrote: BMW R1200RT…… Twin cam or liquid cooled; A Comparison

https://birotus.wordpress.com/2014/10/2 ... omparison/
Not sure who he is but IMO he's talking bo......cks.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

The HP2 is just gorgeous pictures do not do it justice. The detailing and machining is beautiful. Would love to have one but do not want to go back to the heads down arse in the air riding position anymore. They are also appreciating in value. A mate of mine has ridden one and says it rides as well as it looks.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: Not sure who he is but IMO he's talking bo......cks.

Agree total bollocks. I really don't see what all the fuss is about the LC gearbox. My LC box is no better or worse than my 08 GS. Its a BMW box, a little slow and not idiot proof. You can accomplish smooth changes just requires practice. However being now wet clutch you do get that clunk from N to 1 which I didn't get from my dry clutch GS. However every bike I've owned apart from the GS has clunk / crashed into 1 from N. Get over it !