New RT LC vs old RT- styling & finish

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Firenailer

Re: New RT LC vs old RT- styling & finish

Post by Firenailer »

It's only my opinion and I got flamed on another site for saying it but I like my CamHead better.

After reading the reviews, I really wanted to like the new Wethead and was excited to ride one. My Dealer offered a great deal on a Buyback with GPS, Radio and Dynamic, Tech and ESA that would have cost me $2500 and my 2012. Man I was excited to see it!

And then I rode one...3 different times...and I just didn't like it.

It wasn't any one thing but, it was sort of all of it. I thought the plastics felt flimsy and felt cheap. To my eye all of the black Tupperware just looked terrible. There just wasn't any of the elegance of the Camhead.

So I thought riding it would be so amazing that I wouldn't mind the astetic shortfalls. Well, not so much. I found the tranny clunky, the engine noisy and all of the wonder wheel dash gizmo just annoyed me.

I kept my Camhead, and FOR ME, I feel it was the right choice and I'm perfectly happy with it.
Chad

Post by Chad »

I have no issues with gearbox either. Mine is absolutely fine. In fact I've not a bad box in any if my RT's. The only complaint I have with all my previous BM's is the flaking of the paint on the engine and the blistering around the final drive unit. I know this is supposed to be as a result of salt, but I still think this could be better. Oh and the inferior LH switch gear that fails and the fuel gauge strip. (Incidentally, Coopers Sunderland said the switch gear failed because I let it get wet...  However Alan Geoffries said they are known for it & replaced it FOC outside of warranty).
bunny2585

Post by bunny2585 »

Yes I agree the black plastic is very poor and easily discoloured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ride to Arrive, live long and Prosper.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

bunny2585 wrote: Yes I agree the black plastic is very poor and easily discoloured.

Well just for balance, my LC is 6 months old, done 9300 miles and the black plastic looks like new.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Yes I agree the black plastic is very poor and easily discoloured

What black plastic is very poor quality and how did you discolour it.
Chad

Post by Chad »

I think the plastics some are referring to are those on the side of the bike and those at the front of the tank towards the fairing. I hate to admit it but I think these pieces do feel a bit delicate. However they're purely decorative so Im not too concerned. Regarding fading, I think a touch of silicon trim cleaner will sort that out. I do wonder what BMW are playing at as of late; I've had 8 bmw cars, and the built quality has been excellent. However my son has just bought a brand new 3 series, and I'm shocked at how light the doors feel on it. I just hope they are not going down the route Mercedes did in the late 90's, by down grading everything in the name of profit...
not
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Chad,  I think you have `hit the nail on the head',  eventually its all down  to cut backs and profit ...... ::)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Budman

Post by Budman »

I had a 2010 and a 2012 RT. My 10 was a great bike and if the GTL had not come along I might still have it. The GTL was just not for me after a while. The 12 was the answer. Now, I had some issues with the 12, fuel gauge problems, tire issues, dealer issues, the 12 and I just didn't connect. As Ive said before Ann and I are doing a big trip this summer and I just didnt trust the 2012. I really like the engine on the new 14. The handling is great, I like the lights and the controls. Im not wild about the windshield so that's pretty easily fixed. Id prefer that a different bar riser set up but it is what it is.
The power delivery is incredibly smooth but you still know you are on a boxer. The gear box is no better or worse than any other boxer that I have  owned. I got what I thought was a great deal from my dealer and made some new friends at a new dealership. All in all this has been a very great experience.

When it comes to bikes you must go with your passion, oil head, cam head, hex head or water head.   
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

bunny2585 wrote: Yes I agree the black plastic is very poor and easily discoloured.

From Langport eh?  Signed up for the SWPR??
Pope

Post by Pope »

Love my RTLC, Ergo's. weather protection, comfort, performance, handling, suspension, equipment and gadgets......all much better than the Hexhead RT's
Build quality might be sightly inferior to previous RT's though, in every other aspect it simply excels.

.....Just my opinion like...

Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Go back 10 years and everybody with a 1100/1150 was convinced the new 1200 was unfinished and ugly. Nothing changes, except of course all the improvements Pope has pointed out. .
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Pope wrote: Love my RTLC, Ergo's. weather protection, comfort, performance, handling, suspension, equipment and gadgets......all much better than the Hexhead RT's
Build quality might be sightly inferior to previous RT's though, in every other aspect it simply excels.

.....Just my opinion like...

...and mine!
Chad

Post by Chad »

I parked next to a 13 plate RT Twin cam today in Hawes. I could be wrong but the bars on the TC seem higher than on the LC (in relation to the seat). Anyone else noticed this?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The whole bike is higher but a tiny bit shorter. The longer you spend with the LC the more dated the others seem to look. But that's progress. 
Chad

Post by Chad »

Thanks Rtman; is the wheelbase shorter on the LC? Or is the rake angle at the front forks more acute? From riding the two bikes I would have said the LC has a shorter of the two and/or a steeper rake angle- I say this because the LC definately has a quicker turn in than the TC.