What say Ye?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
fstubbsjr

What say Ye?

Post by fstubbsjr »

OK, I swear, I'll try to keep this short.  Frank from Jacksonville.  I know I could google warm weather jackets, but I guess I'm asking should I get a new jacket or a new device.  What I currently have

1.  BMW Ralley 3 (I love it for protection and fit, a tank!), It's just too warm (today 85).
2.  BMW Airshell, (Really love it.  I think it has saved my life a time or two), It was comfortable, but today was 85 and low-no humidity.
3.  This is only March, it is going to get a lot hotter and very humid in Jacksonville.  So my question, should I get the BMW Air Flow (possible less security), or get the Veskimo Cooler and be able to wear the other jackets?

There are people here in Jacksonville who do use the Ralley 3.  However, I didn't factor in the wind protection that the RT gives.  I may be wrong, but I think it nullifies the vents.  Thanks!
guest2360

Re: What say Ye?

Post by guest2360 »

AirShell with the lining out is about the same as AirFlow except of course the Airflow trousers.  I have both.  But at 85 I Don't think anything will keep you completely comfortable. Could put up with it here though at the moment. 1C dull and damp.  But for quality don't think you can fault the BMW kit. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Hi Frank, the riders over in the UK do not have these issues until end of May/June and then it comes with frequent changes from hot, cold, ice, with a regular down pour. I have just returned from Oz where I made several observations about what riders wear in hot climates. I saw guys in shorts and flip flops, but not all some were quite sensible. However, I digress it is a tough one for you guys considering the RT wind protection I don honestly think there is much you can do more than consider the options you have given yourself.

There is always a compromise for riders between: protection and comfort. It is nice to be able to consider the clothing you refer too considering its price. We on the other hand are looking at keeping ourselves warmer and dryer. It would seem we all have issues lol. Hey just thought start the ride in a Ralley3 with the Airflow in the pannier just a thought.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Rukka Airider excellent in hot weather.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rukka-airider-jacket
CMB123

Post by CMB123 »

You could try the Rev'it line http://www.revitusa.com/en-us/#/products/FAR038 or the main page http://www.revitusa.com/en-us/#/home

I'm on the west coast and in the summer we get some hot, hot weather. I find their air flow jackets are great for 25 - 30 celsius and then in the extreme heat of 40 and above the cooling liner really works well.

Hope this helps :-)
marc.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

Hey Frank,

I'm in NY and while we don't get anything like the rainforest heat and humidity you Floridians "enjoy" - once it gets over 65-70 I switch to my Joe Rocket Mesh Jacket. Good protection and great airflow to stay cool even on the RT which by design limits how much wind gets to the rider.

Problem down there now that your 3 months of comfortable riding is over,  is the constant rainstorms that occur seemingly anytime of day and that endless humidity.

Florida is a tough place to ride an RT. I rode down to my Brothers place in St. augustine once and swore I'd never do that again! Good luck!

fstubbsjr

Post by fstubbsjr »

FireNailer, I think you may be right about the RT being very restrictive on airflow.  However, I love the bike; I mean really.  Having said that, I think I'm going to try a Veskimo.  It should allow me to accomplish two things:  1.  Ride AGAT (with quality gear), and stop getting a different jackets every month to try and change the unchangeable; Florida is hot; period.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

Hey Frank,

Let me know how the veskimo works out. It could help on those mid summer Nairobi hot days we sometimes get.

Honestly, take a look at the mesh jackets. They have all of the impact pads you're looking for and with the shield down you get a lot of air. Only thing I'd advise is a long sleeve tee shirt underneath.

The RT is a terrific motorcycle, keep messing around with gear until you find a way to make it work.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out