Shell V Power Nitro + fuel

Technical aspects and performance of the BMW R1200RT/1250 RT
stelyn

Shell V Power Nitro + fuel

Post by stelyn »

Any comments /observations on Shells V Power Nitro +  ( rated 99 octane) as opposed to the standard 95 grade.    Is it `really' better to use ?    BMW  Manual recommends use of 98 grade.      Do you use this or a `higher'  grade  regularly or just occasionally .        Other than being  slightly, a more costly  price per litre and that this grade,  apparently  gives the engines a good `clean out',  I've read that there's no  real significant difference / advantage,  not sure if  this is correct ?    I  have used a  tank full of the V Power  and  just didn't  seem  to notice any change in performance / engine running/ mileage  ect ,    ::)
Last edited by stelyn on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Shell V Power Nitro + fuel

Post by David. »

I tend to use the Higher Octane stuff if it's available, but not too fussed if it isn't.

RT's have sophisticated Engine Management Systems which adapt themselves to the Octane Rating of the fuel being used.

In Germany (2007) Normal 91 RON fuel was available, one of the Guys in our Group who had had several GS's, commented upon the Higher Octane stuff I was going to put in my Bike & said, "It'll run on anything", he also liked the cheaper price at the pump.

If you want to clean your Engine, using an Engine Flush before/with an oil change could be more beneficial, than relying on the fuel to just clean the cylinders.
(A fuel additive could be used occasionally in the tank to do the same job as the fancy fuel.)

Last edited by David. on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I can remember being on tour in Southern Germany/Austria in about 2007 when we were all buying 98 or even 99 octane fuel in the belief the bikes would work better at altitude.  If it did nobody noticed.  We just ended up with a bit less beer money.   
Not a problem these days of course, the LC only demands 95 or less..
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Thanks for the info guys,  I'll continue with the lower 95 then  as the Bikes running ok and its cheaper  Ta...... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

DaygloDavid wrote: I tend to use the Higher Octane stuff if it's available, but not too fussed if it isn't.
RT's have sophisticated Engine Management Systems which adapt themselves to the Octane Rating of the fuel being used.
+1 on DaygloDavid comments.

When they originally launched higher octane fuels the view was it had to be "high performance" engine to make any difference.  The R1200 is good however I am not sure it is high enough to make any real difference...  That said:-) I use it if is there, these days with lower £ per Litre it seems like no brainer! 

Peter 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

When I used to race cars, we would dyno and map the car to use higher octane fuel. if your engine has been dyno to run on 95 RON, then use it. Higher octane just empties your pocket quicker  :)
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

I have discussed this subject on FJR and Golf R forums, there are differing schools of thought. When 97 RON became available many years ago, I used it in my wifes car, that would sometimes suffer 'pre-ignition' under load  when using 95RON, tried 97 RON and no pre-ignition. Also calculated MPG using both fuels (not at same time lol) and I personally found  slightly better MPG. My Golf R which has 300BHP as standard is designed to run on 98RON, but will run on lower RON fuel with a slight drop in performance if no 98RON available. I use V Power 99RON whenever possible, I spent a lot of money on car & bike and don't want to save a few pence on cheaper fuels, preferring the detergent properties of premium fuel, but each to their own. :)                 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Speak to guys who dyno performance engines they will tell you the score. Use whatever the recommended fuel is - end of  :)