Bmw System 6, schuberth c3 or Shoei helmet?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Chad

Bmw System 6, schuberth c3 or Shoei helmet?

Post by Chad »

Looks like I'm going to have to get a new helmet. All of the above helmets seem to be very well made, light and reported to be very quiet. I've personally had good use from shoei over the years but what are your experiences on these?
guest2360

Re: Bmw System 6, schuberth c3 or Shoei helmet?

Post by guest2360 »

You will probably find the System 6 Evo is the less expensive of the 3.  People will tell you the System 6 is a copy of the Schubert.  Not true. Many items on the 6 have in fact emigrated the other way over the years. Shoei seem to be a good fit on large heads but are not the easiest to install comms in.  Some of the latest ones now do have spaces for speakers with removable covers but I think not all of them. The System 6 is the best for comms as its designed to take their own built in Bluetooth so there is plenty of room for all other types.  I have owned System 3, 4, 5 and 6 helmets over the years and never had any problem with them. The current 6 Evo is light, waterproof and comfortable.
With helmets though its all in the fit. Try them all and buy the most comfortable.       
CMB123

Post by CMB123 »

I'll 2nd RTman10. We have System 6 helmets now and find they hit the mark in terms of comfort, price and weight. A nice helmet all around, but check sizing :-)
marc.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

CMB123 wrote: I'll 2nd RTman10. We have System 6 helmets now and find they hit the mark in terms of comfort, price and weight. A nice helmet all around, but check sizing :-)

In agreement it's all in the fit. Like my bikes I review and test them over a fairly long period of time. Having said that I am still prone to making mistakes. I have a Shoie, S700 & Evoline 2 both by Shark and my new Schuberth C3 plus comms. I paid a shitfull of money for my C3 and on a thread of mine on the site criticised it severely. It was mainly the misting up as I could not get the vents coordination right. I was supplied with a Pinlock with the helmet, but having paid all this money my expectations were high for the helmet to work perfectly without some add on, wrong.

I followed the advice of one of the Site Gurus I think? It was Beemerbaz or Dayglodavid and fitted the Pinlock. It has gone from zero to hero. Having a large head getting a helmet to fit comfortably plus inserting comms is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. It now rates as my best helmet of all time. But also the most expensive by far. The comms is awesome even for a deaf man, too many guns too many bombs, too many bikes, too many women  :)) . I believe the System 6 is fashioned on the Caberg helmet.

stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Spending all that money - glad the problems resolved ,  now just enjoy...... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

A System 6 is fashioned on a System 1 to 5.  BMW invented the system/flip up in the 1980s.  Everybody else copied it.  Glad the Pinlock worked.  Just remember they are very delicate on the inside so take great care when cleaning it.  Schubert would  probably send you a HP agreement for a replacement.     
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

RTman10 thanks, just remembered you was the missing "Guru" thanks. I just checked the Pinlock price as you set alarm bells ringing £28 from The Pinlock Shop so I am pleasantly pleased with that. I am sure it will be a different case for the visor dread to think, so I promise to look after it. A BMW dealer informed me Caberg make the Systems helmets true or false, but no matter they are good looking helmets.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Part of the  Schubert factory but a separate set up I believe.  Thats not a bad price for the Pinlock, bet the visor is twice that price.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Well thanks everyone for the heads up (sorry) on the helmets. My mate loves his Schubert C3 , I like(d) my shoei but I think I'll probably give the system 6 a ride out for a couple of years. Incidentally, the cabergs are not bad value for money, but I once borrowed one- a Justimo? or whatever it was, it was unbelievably noisy. (Wind noise) Even tho the visors etc. seem to work ok the noise for me ruled them out straight away:-/
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I have a System6 EVO and a C3 (not Pro).  I like both but if you forced me to choose, I'd pick the System6.  I just find it more comfortable and the interior is much more luxurious.

Like RTMan says though, it's all about fit...
Chad

Post by Chad »

I've just fitted my interphone intercom into my new System 6. Getting the flip front down over mike boom is a bit of a squeeze, but I think that's mostly because of the wind deflector trim. Loads of room for the speakers though. I wasn't impressed with the clarity of the screen- it seemed to have a slight haze & tint to it. I was advised to check if the visor still had its protective plastic cover on. Having given the salesperson the usual 'I didn't get where I am today by not checking the obvious'.... I then discovered that the protective plastic was actually stuck on the INSIDE! You couldn't write it
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

It' worth checking out the Shoei Neotech. I fitted Autocom in ours, there are removable pads for the installation of speakers. Make sure you have the correct cheek pad size, they can cause jaw ache if they pinch too much, best get it right to retro fit later can be expensive. Ours came with pinlock's in the box, no extra charge. The liners are completely removable for cleaning. Whatever you choose get a discount it's a competitive market.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Chad wrote: I've just fitted my interphone intercom into my new System 6. Getting the flip front down over mike boom is a bit of a squeeze, but I think that's mostly because of the wind deflector trim. Loads of room for the speakers though. I wasn't impressed with the clarity of the screen- it seemed to have a slight haze & tint to it. I was advised to check if the visor still had its protective plastic cover on. Having given the salesperson the usual 'I didn't get where I am today by not checking the obvious'.... I then discovered that the protective plastic was actually stuck on the INSIDE! You couldn't write it
Been there, one that.  Remember the Pinlock insert is very easily scratched, hence the film. 
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Bertie wrote: It' worth checking out the Shoei Neotech. I fitted Autocom in ours, there are removable pads for the installation of speakers. Make sure you have the correct cheek pad size, they can cause jaw ache if they pinch too much, best get it right to retro fit later can be expensive. Ours came with pinlock's in the box, no extra charge. The liners are completely removable for cleaning. Whatever you choose get a discount it's a competitive market.
Here's a  Link  that provides a detailed review ( albeit a bit long ) of the Shoei Neotech  -  takes a few seconds for the  commentary......... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91hcAkADjRo

Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window