Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart

Post by Our Gee »

So then, yet another thumbs up for the good old Roadsmart. Although I had a new Roadsmart fitted to the front a few weeks ago yesterday was the first time I had the chance to get out and scrub it in ( new lounge carpet and the never ending decorating saga to keep the boss happy !!). Although the rear has done about a thousand miles now it still looks "very" round and a good match for the new front. So then, yesterday's ride. Bike feels excellent, steering is spot on with an accuracy you never achieve on old tyres. Front feels very compliant even at the two up setting of 36 PSI.(Yesterday's ride was solo). So then, another good Roadsmart experience and the bike is all ready for my Autumn Ride down to Provence in a few weeks time. Incidently, as I only do relatively low annual mileage now I prefer to change my tyres at around 5000 miles which means around every 12 months. In my experience tyres start to "go off" after about the first 3000 miles, during the next 2000 miles the all round deteriation is a slow process which makes it difficult to notice as rider input constantly adjusts to the tyre's increasing short comings. It's only when you venture out on "new" rubber that the state of the tyres you have just replaced is immediately apparent.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

It's after seeing RoadSmarts on your RT Mike that I started to use them myself.

I run 32/36psi solo & 36/42psi 2 up, were you running 36psi in the front ready for your tour or is this normal practice.

At NBT, RS III's would work out at £37 more for a pair fitted (to loose wheels) than RS I's.

Think I'll stick to RS I's.
Last edited by David. on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

New pair of RS I's fitted today, for the record, the front to TWI is 3.5mm & the rear to TWI is 6mm.

The bike has now done 15,506 miles.
Last edited by David. on Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

DaygloDavid wrote: It's after seeing RoadSmarts on your RT Mike that I started to use them myself.

I run 32/36psi solo & 36/42psi 2 up, were you running 36psi in the front ready for your tour or is this normal practice.

At NBT, RS III's would work out at £37 more for a pair fitted (to loose wheels) than RS I's.

Think I'll stick to RS I's.
I normally run at 36/42 which I know is the BMW recommended pressures for "two up" . I have never had any problems riding solo at these pressures but since you have brought it to my attention I might just try the 32/36 and see what it's like. The thing is that although my up-coming trip will be solo the bike will be quite heavy, especially on the way home with full fuel tank, 6 bottles of quality Cotes du Rhone in each pannier padded out with socks, jeans, trainers and shirts etc and my tank bag !!. I did try running at 32/36 a while back with Michelins and they "cupped terribly" but it will be interesting to see how the Roadsmarts cope. I suppose in theory the lower solo pressure should give a more comfortable ride ?.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:I normally run at 36/42 which I know is the BMW recommended pressures for "two up". I did try running at 32/36 a while back with Michelins and they "cupped terribly" but it will be interesting to see how the Roadsmarts cope.
What mileage have you been getting out of the RS's set at 36/42.

The rear on mine was cupped (32/36),  but Steve at NBT suggested that this was because the tyre was getting towards the end of it's life.

Presumably, a higher pressure might increase the wear in the centre of the tyre & reduce the expected mileage, is this the case.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

DaygloDavid wrote: What mileage have you been getting out of the RS's set at 36/42.

The rear on mine was cupped (32/36),but Steve at NBT suggested that this was because the tyre was getting towards the end of it's life.

Presumably, a higher pressure might increase the wear in the centre of the tyre & reduce the expected mileage, is this the case.
As I said above I normally change tyres at around 5000 miles as this roughly equates to my annual mileage nowadays. It always seems to be the case that just prior to a big trip my tyres have a millimetre or two left before the TWI but they would not last the journey and in any case by that stage the handling has gone off and punctures are a greater risk. I have never changed tyres because they are at the legal tread limit because in MHO they are well past their best long before that.
I can't say if a higher pressure (36/42) increases the wear as I don't have enough experience running at 32/36 to compare. I can say that I have never had cupping problems with the Roadsmarts although the Fitter at Automoto did comment on an unusual wear pattern (a distinct and uneven flat either side of the centre on my replaced front) which I put down to be the cause of some weird and uneasy handling during a recent trip to Moray. There again that could have been a rogue tyre. It does happen.
In all of the magazine back to back tyre tests I have read they always run at what seems to be the accepted motorcycle default pressures of 36/42.
Last edited by Our Gee on Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

From our combined experience with RoadSmarts, it looks like running either 32/36 or 36/42 has little impact on the expected mileage, circa 5,000.

When I got an RT with ESA, I did try running 36/42 in the hope that I'd only have to make adjustments at the touch of a button.
Being a bit of a light-weight, I found the ride a little firm for my liking when solo & reverted back to 32/36.

There'll be some bloke riding solo on an RT who's weight will be greater than the combined weight of my wife & I.
Don't know why BMW don't give any loading guidelines, in 1980 Yamaha did.

WRT to the cupping on the rear, the tyre had done two trips to Scotland & I wasn't hanging about.
I don't recall it being a problem with the previous RS rear.
Last edited by David. on Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Dunlop say, http://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/care/faq/

"How can I keep my tires from cupping?

You may not be able to entirely avoid cupping. Tire cupping or irregular wear is a somewhat common occurrence on all vehicles. On a four-wheel vehicle, you are advised to rotate your tires periodically to even out wear. Unfortunately, you do not have this luxury with a motorcycle because front and rear tires, unlike those on most four-wheel vehicles, are not interchangeable.

However, there are steps that can be taken to minimize cupping and uneven wear on a motorcycle: Maintain your motorcycle and particularly your front and suspension. Avoid hard braking whenever possible. Braking causes the tire to grab and wear in one direction. When braking is applied to the front tire, the load transfer over-flexes the tire and increases the tendency for cupping and uneven wear. Maintain your tire pressures. Under inflation and overloading of motorcycle tires are significant causes of cupping and uneven wear, particularly in association with hard braking and/or trailer use.

Once a tire begins to show signs of uneven wear, even following these steps may not improve the condition.

Tire companies can, and are, helping to minimize cupping and uneven wear but you, the rider, must do your part. Following the aforementioned guidelines will help avoid uneven wear."

Not having experienced "cupping" on the front tyre as described above, I assume that the rear tyre may suffer the same due to hard acceleration, now there's a thought!

richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

DaygloDavid wrote: Just returned from a 4 day trip to Melrose (Scotland), covering 600 miles.

Plenty of time spent on tea and cakes then David?

;)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:Being a fan of the original Roadsmart I see that National Bike Tyres (www.nationalbiketyres.co.uk) have them listed at £184 a pair. Not sure if this includes fitting but a good buy.
The NBT prices do not include fitting, having said that, my first two pairs at £187 & £188 respectively were fitted FOC to loose wheels, (may have been a Dunlop offer at the time).
The third pair cost £168 & I was charged £8 each for fitting, again to loose wheels.

I'll be due a fourth pair soon, currently at £184, I think Steve at NBT is very fair, fitting costs don't seem to be fixed & may be a factor based on the cost of the tyres in the first place or any Dunlop offers at the time.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:I'll be due a fourth pair soon.
The bike has now done 20,526 miles, that's 5,000 miles on the current, third pair of tyres. Both the F&R are legal with about 1mm of serviceable tread remaining. The ride is not compliant, therefore will be changing for a new pair of RS 1's.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

New pair of RS I's fitted today at NBT, fitting charges can & do vary depending on the cost of/profit in the tyres themselves.

For example, today, the pair of tyres were £184 & I was charged £10 for both (£5 each) to be fitted & dynamically balanced to loose wheels.

In the past, the same tyres cost £168, but was charged £16 for fitting for both (£8 each).

B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Is the Roadsmart a heavyweight spec two-ply tyre suitable for the LC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

B787MECH wrote:Is the Roadsmart a heavyweight spec two-ply tyre suitable for the LC?
The Dunlop fitting guide says yes, https://www.dunlop.eu/en_gb/motorcycle.html#/
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

David. wrote: The Dunlop fitting guide says yes, https://www.dunlop.eu/en_gb/motorcycle.html#/
Shame it doesn't actually state Heavyweight or anything but I think 73W amounts to the same thing.[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk