Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart

Post by David. »

The new pair of tyres have now done 3,135 miles on our trip to Norway.

The Front has 2mm & the Rear has 2.5mm of legal tread remaining to the TWI's.

The Front has worn significantly more than on the Germany trip, whilst the Rear is about the same.

One rear tyre would certainly have not done both trips & the Front would have been close to the legal limit.

I'm happy with the performance of these tyres both in the dry & wet.

Dunlop have confirmed the Tesco Voucher is on it's way.
Last edited by David. on Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

So far,  so good, seem to be good value.... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

stelyn wrote: So far, so good, seem to be good value.... ;)

Even better value with £35 Cash Back.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Just picked up on this thread so to add my two pence worth. My last three sets of tyres have been Dunlop Roadsmart. (The original Roadsmart, not the later released Roadsmart 2). For Dunlop to still make the original tyre after being available for so long is testament to it's popularity, especially with "those in the know" like the emergency service boys. For a few years now I have had tyres fitted to my loose wheels at Auto-Moto Racing who are at Manor Farm Units, Bellerby near Leyburn, North Yorkshire. It may be a fair run out from where we live but it's a pleasant enough trip and I usually drop the Missus off in Leyburn before taking the wheels into A.M.R. who it must be said have always beens very careful when handling my wheels. Even noted that our current RT has Pressure Sensors fitted before removing the old tyres. As regards the Roadsmarts themselves I find that (IMHO) they are the best "all round" compromise tyre for an RT giving a good combination of Mileage, Grip, Handling and the other quality which is never mentioned on most tyre threads, but very important to me given the appauling state of UK roads, "a comfy compliant ride". The only other tyre which I have found to be better in this respect is the Conti Road Attack which unfortunately comes nowhere near on mileage and the lack of any centre section tread groove means one can be down to the cords with no warning. Never used Michelin since the "orrible" Pilot Road (one and two versions). Worst wearing tyre on a BMW I have ever experienced. Tread grooves cupped very badly causing noisy howl at any angle off the vertical.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

As you say, if they are good enough for the local Plod, then they are good enough for me.

I also take the wheels out myself, but go to National Bike Tyres at Newton Aycliffe, Steve is canny & takes care with the fitting.

I'm on my second pair, which have now done 3,800 miles, the rear is slightly "squared off" after our trip to Norway, but still plenty of tread depth left.
Got a pair of "part-worns" in the loft to fit when necessary, they've done 2,200 miles.

Having been caught out with Metzeler Z6's, (slick in the middle of the tread),  going down to the cords, the tread pattern on the Roadsmarts allows better monitoring of the tread depth in the centre of the tyre.
Last edited by David. on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Whilst at the NEC, I asked a tyre supplier for a price on a pair of RoadSmarts, I was quoted £159, I could then see the Dunlop Twins & get a £10 voucher, therefore paying £149.

National Bike Tyres at Newton Aycliffe, http://www.nationalbiketyres.co.uk/ are my chosen tyre supplier/fitter, they would want £15 per tyre to fit to loose wheels, making the total £179.

NBT advised me that from 1st January 2016, Dunlop will be reducing their prices, making the RoadSmart a very attractive price.

If I purchase the tyres from NBT, the fitting charge is only £6 per tyre to loose wheels.

Unless you can fit tyres yourself, IMO, it's false economy to purchase tyres at shows/online etc.
Last edited by David. on Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:NBT advised me that from 1st January 2016, Dunlop will be reducing their prices, making the RoadSmart a very attractive price.
Looks like the 2016 prices are now available, £155 for a pair, that's over £30 less than I paid earlier in the year (2015).

http://www.nationalbiketyres.co.uk/?rou ... t_id=24521
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Good price. Just checked Oponeo and looks like a pair now is £150

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre/dunlo ... -roadsmart

stelyn

Post by stelyn »

That's a good deal Levisp, well found ......  ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:I'm on my second pair, which have now done 3,800 miles, the rear is slightly "squared off" after our trip to Norway, but still plenty of tread depth left.

Got a pair of "part-worns" in the loft to fit when necessary, they've done 2,200 miles.
The second pair have now done 5,400 miles, with a serviceable tread depth of 1.6mm on the front & 1.0mm on the rear to the TWI's remaining.

If riding locally, I'd run them further, but with the NC500 trip looming, I'll be swapping them out for the "part-worns" before setting off to Scotland.

I've been very happy with the mileage & performance of the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmarts.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:Having covered 2,178 miles in Germany, the tread depth to the TWI on the front is now 2.5mm (0.5mm wear) & the rear is 3mm (50% worn).
Having these "Part Worn" tyres fitted today, the bike has now done 12,260 miles.

Will be interesting to see how they fair on the 1,200 miles trip to Scotland next week.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Having completed 1,285 miles in Scotland, the front is down to 2.5mm (0.5mm wear) & the rear is 1.5mm (1.5mm wear) to TWI's.

Scotland certainly "kills tyres", a trade off for good grip.

The previous pair, particularly the rear wouldn't have lasted the distance.
Last edited by David. on Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Just had a set of Road Smart III's fitted today.
Thought I'd have a change after 2 sets of PR4's. 7895 mls from the front & down to 1mm. 3759 from the rear, just starting to square off. Very good tyres, plenty of grip in all conditions, I ride thru winter.
Must say on the ride home from Long Eaton the Dunlops certainly made the bike tip into corners quicker than when the PR4'S were new.
Wet ride next then obviously the longevity question.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:Having these "Part Worn" tyres fitted today, the bike has now done 12,260 miles.
These tyres have now done 4,800 miles (Odometer 14,892),  they are still legal & look likely to go to somewhere near to the 5,400 miles done on the previous pair.

Based on the mileage, performance & cost, will probably replace with the same again when required.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Just returned from a 4 day trip to Melrose (Scotland),  covering 600 miles.

The second pair of RS 1's have now done a total of 5,400 miles, the rear is close to the legal limit, whilst the front has 1.6mm of serviceable tread to TWI.
The above mileage includes 2 trips to Scotland, famed for goosing tyres.

Both pairs of RS 1's have returned the same distance of 5,400 miles.

At £168 plus fitting for a pair, think I'll be getting the same again.
Last edited by David. on Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.