Hello from newbie

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
BMjoe64

Hello from newbie

Post by BMjoe64 »

Hello, bought RT1200LC 2014 reg in January and loving it.
Retired and like to do social runs 250 - 300 miles most weeks plus some Euro Touring.
Looking forward to taking the RT down to France in June,  Route Napoleon, Verdon Gorge area and then back via Western Alps.
Last edited by BMjoe64 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Hello from newbie

Post by richardbd »

BMjoe64 wrote: Hello, bought RT1200LC 2014 reg in January and loving it.
Retired and like to do social runs 250 - 300 miles most weeks plus some Euro Touring.
Looking forward to taking the RT down to France in June,  Route Napoleon, Verdon Gorge area and then back via Western Alps.

Welcome Joe.  Did you buy a fast grey one, or one of the slower colours?

;) ;) ;)

stelyn

Post by stelyn »

richardbd wrote:
Welcome Joe.  Did you buy a fast grey one, or one of the slower colours?
Hi BMjoe64, enjoy both your new `toy' and this  forum,  the grey primer colour is not  really an issue,  as those of us with the faster blue also have it, -  but as an undercoat..... :whistle:  :be happy:
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Pope

Post by Pope »

Welcome along Joe, and good choice of bike.

Tell us a bit about yourself and your biking..

:enjoying:
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
CMB123

Post by CMB123 »

Welcome and enjoy your new ride. I have the same bike, which I just recently bought, and so far so good :-) I concur with the previous paint comments re the grey being a great base coat ;-)
marc.
Glencoe
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

Hi Joe and welcome, I too have the LC and loving it, but it seems to be the slow blue!!! That is until I manage to get a dry day to ease it out of 'rain' mode, then when I am able to master the quick shift we will be so quick that the blue might just return to grey.... :alas: :alas:
Just don't ask me to get up and dance..
BMjoe64

Post by BMjoe64 »

Pope wrote: Welcome along Joe, and good choice of bike.

Tell us a bit about yourself and your biking..

:enjoying:
Thanks for welcome guys.
Came back to biking 6 years ago when retiring early and bikes over the last few years have included Aprilia Caponord 1200 ADD, Kawasaki Z1000SX, Honda VFR800X (Crossrunner which I really enjoyed down in Alps), GSX1250F. All taken on trips to Pecos, Pyrenees, France, Alps, etc etc - all the usual haunts.

I live Northampton and best riding oppo lives Reading so we tend to meet halfway and go for long circular runs at weekends. Look to ride all year and have put well over 1000 miles on the RT in last couple of months, Mudeford Quay, Rutland Water, Forest of Dean, and AV8 on Kemble Airfield nr Cirencester is default when sun shines. Bought the bike from North Oxford Motorrad with 500 mls only, LE with GarminV, and top box. Didn't need Radio - listen in to my mates (Trophy) via bike to bike intercom. He has crap taste and won't put classic channel on.

Mine is the light blue colour, would have preferred Ebony but none about at price I was prepared to pay.

Hope to catch up with a few of you sometime. Have looked in on other RT forums but this is looking the best so far.
Last edited by BMjoe64 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Welcome Joe. Good to hear you intend using your LC properly. I've got a brown one.. Apparently. (Although bmw call it ebony black). And thanks to a plasterer I've had in today, who thought it was a good idea to mix his plaster in my garage,  it's now covered in white dust...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Chad wrote: Welcome Joe. Good to hear you intend using your LC properly. I've got a brown one.. Apparently. (Although bmw call it ebony black). And thanks to a plasterer I've had in today, who thought it was a good idea to mix his plaster in my garage,  it's now covered in white dust...
Is he still alive?
szpinner

Post by szpinner »

Note from Canada from old fogie who still rides like crazy...often, long, and far !
Have done all of North America, main continent and 5 countries in Europe ... all on my passionista ...R1200RT

Just got my 2015 model but remote key is scarin the bejezus out of me !  I fear someone could ride off with my bike if I had my back turned...anybody got feed back, besides "Dont turn your back !!!"
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi szpinner, welcome to the forum, there's been a few postings on this subject `RTman10'  can probably  assist on this topic as I'm sure he has spoke of this,  me  I prefer the `old fashioned key ignition'   
( had issues with keyless ignition failing on a car  once )....... ;)
Last edited by stelyn on Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

szpinner.  Never leave the fod on or near the bike and its probably as safe as with a key.  Some things to consider that effected me when I had the system.
Never let you battery go flat with the steering lock on.
Carry your spare one on you, not hidden in a pannier.
Its not an all singing and dancing  system.  Just ignition on and off and steering lock. Central locking and the alarm are Still manual set.
There were reports in UK of insurance companies refusing cover on some cars fitted with keyless ignition one car make being BMW but I know of no problems with bikes.     
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

szpinner wrote: Just got my 2015 model but remote key is scarin the bejezus out of me !  I fear someone could ride off with my bike if I had my back turned...anybody got feed back, besides "Dont turn your back !!!"

I have a key on my RT but had keyless on the Multistrada.  When I had keyless, I couldn't see the point; now I miss it like crazy.  How does that work?

:thinking: :thinking:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It looks a bit of an afterthought on the RT compared with the 1600 from where it was nicked. IMO You don't get much for your money. So stop pining and spend the saving on something useful.   
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: It looks a bit of an afterthought on the RT compared with the 1600 from where it was nicked. IMO You don't get much for your money. So stop pining and spend the saving on something useful. 

Like grey paint for example...