Clothing preferences

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
BMjoe64

Re: Clothing preferences

Post by BMjoe64 »

Know what u mean about Germany Chad and it was our upcoming Euro trip which really got me and my buddy on his Trophy thinking about the subject. This will be the first time either of us has taken these bikes abroad.

We doing South France based in Castellane for a few days, then some Western Alps runs out of Chambery on way back. So we could encounter a wide range of weather, hopefully including some of the hot variety.

I wear a mesh 2 piece on V, hot days - just need to rethink base layers for top half now, as that is what caught me out most behind the RT screen. I have a Scorpion Exo helmet which can be changed from full tour flip to an open faced + sunvisor + peak and this should give me the options on that score.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Chad wrote: I'm a little way off the 'dropped pin' as my home would be very easy to find with it being rather isolated (hence the two mastiffs). The map shows the road names & the position of our farm track etc. so for security reasons I wasn't totally accurate with my address ;)
Nudge, nudge,  ;) ;)  say nomore
Chad

Post by Chad »

Just a heads up- Alan Jeffries have a sale on,  I know it's genuine because I was only there last week. Hi viz short jackets (based on the Boulder style) currently half price: £175. These have a waterproof, windproof removable liner (Can be worn all year round) BMW badge on left shoulder. Ideal for commuting. Although I didn't really need another jacket I bought one anyway as it seems a shame not to have one for that price.
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

I'm still in the market searching and reading reviews. I haven't been "in the know" on riding gear since my last mc courier work in the mid '80s. I bought the Alpinestars Andes jacket and pants but sent the pants back because after 2 returns I thought the fit and quality were really poor. Now I'm realizing my jacket is to warm even without the liner in San Diego where I live. Thought about the Fieldsheer "hi temp" jacket and pants but cannot find a favorable review. After reading what you all said about Rukka, that seems the way to go.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Recently purchased a new BMW Airshell jacket which has changed a lot from my original one bought in 2010. That's still going, still 100% waterproof but looking its mileage.  The new one has some good improvements. Now comes with full armour including back.  Has 3 internal pockets, 2 being waterproof and a different neck closure.  And its very, very bright. I've used the jacket summer and winter as the lining is thermal.  Take it out and its seriously cool.   
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Recently purchased a new BMW Airshell jacket which has changed a lot from my original one bought in 2010. That's still going, still 100% waterproof but looking its mileage.  The new one has some good improvements. Now comes with full armour including back.  Has 3 internal pockets, 2 being waterproof and a different neck closure.  And its very, very bright. I've used the jacket summer and winter as the lining is thermal.  Take it out and its seriously cool. 

What troos do you wear with the Airshell RTMan?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Street Guard if its damp, Airflow if it ain't. Also got some called Basic.  BMW made Cordura and Gortex.  Had them a good 15 years and cant wear them out.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Richard- I've recently bought some Held Matata Enduro trousers. Full codura, abrasion resistant, waterproof, breathable, heat reflective and have removable liners. They have anti slip patches on the butt & inner knees. Vented ans have an adjustable waistline. And best of all they work as claimed; can be worn all year round- loads side pockets (cargo pants style) and they actually fit well do you don't feel like a total cock when your walking around in them. They cost me £250, now you can get them for as little as £170 on eBay! I'm very happy with them.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Chad wrote: Richard- I've recently bought some Held Matata Enduro trousers. Full codura, abrasion resistant, waterproof, breathable, heat reflective and have removable liners. They have anti slip patches on the butt & inner knees. Vented ans have an adjustable waistline. And best of all they work as claimed; can be worn all year round- loads side pockets (cargo pants style) and they actually fit well do you don't feel like a total cock when your walking around in them. They cost me £250, now you can get them for as little as £170 on eBay! I'm very happy with them.

Cheers Chad...
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

They do look good Chad, might treat myself to a pair...... ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Held-Matata-E ... 2343f0c5cc

Description
Outer shell
DuPont® Cordura 500D (100% polyamide)

Lining
COOLMAX® lining (100% polyester)

Membrane
detachable waterproof, windproof and breathable HUMAX Z-liner® inner (100% polyester with 100% polyurethane coating)

Fit/features
6 external pockets
air-vent zippers
stretch panels at back and knees
PITTARDS® leather anti-slip seat patch
Zips & velcro at ankles
PITTARDS® anti-slip leather at knees & inner calves
high waisted with adjustable velcro flaps
stretch panels at crotch

Protection
EN 1621-1 CE-certified, height-adjustable
PRO-SAFE SOFT protectors at knees
special foam padding at hips
optional hip protectors
Connecting zip
3M SCOTCHLITE™reflectors
Last edited by stelyn on Thu May 07, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Chad

Post by Chad »

Thanks to all this rain we've been having, I can say for sure that the Held trousers I mentioned are 100% waterproof and surprisingly warm, even without the liners. 
Chad

Post by Chad »

Having mentioned that I recently bought a BMW Neon Boulder jacket, I've since discovered that it's not quite what it is supposed to be. It's billed as an all year round jacket, owing to its removable waterproof, breathable & wind proof liner. Well, what I can say is that when the temperature drops down to less than 10 degrees, I feel the cold. Especially on my arms and shoulders. I called home today & out of curiosity changed it for my Triumph Airmesh before going back out. To say I'm pissed off is an understatement; The triumph jacket is far warmer and let's no wind through at ALL. I'm just glad I didn't pay the full £350 for BMW's Neon Boulder. It looks smart but there's no way its an all season jacket. I genuinely feel conned.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Sorry to hear that Chad, happened to me about 5yrs ago with a Berring Hi-Vis jacket the waterproof was not water proof yellow ran into black and black went a little grey. I paid about £140 and sold it a car boot for €60 a big loss. Lesson learned, I only buy good stuff now with guarantees; Rukka, Klim and both my suits are bomb proof, the only problem is my weight or should I say fat and then they both feel tight.

Is it not possible to take it back as it does not fit the description it was sold at?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

BMW Catalogue shows the Neon Boulder as a jacket for transitional weather ie Spring through to Autumn. I have the Airshell Jacket which has the same lining and use it all year round even though it has much more ventilation. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu May 14, 2015 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Well having felt the cold through the jacket yesterday (may 13th) I think it's more of a Florida Jacket myself, despite what the dealership sales person told me.  I'm sure the jacket is ok with a good base layer under it, but when I'm working I just have a shirt on under my jacket. I think I'll have to wear the removable wind proof liner from one of my other jackets as they've always kept me warm even in December/January/February. But let's not forget, the Boulder jacket has that ever impressive BMW badge on the shoulder so I'm sure the cold that permeates through is a design feature...
;)