Headlamp Bulbs

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
stelyn

Headlamp Bulbs

Post by stelyn »

Hi,  anyone know what type of Bulbs are fitted  as standard in  the `air cooled' Bikes  ( 2012 )    I know they are H7/12v/55w,  but not sure if should be the Halogen or Xenon fit ,  the latter being just slightly more expensive , yet claimed to be better  ?    ( don't want to upset the electric system have heard of the wrong bulbs creating warning lights on the Dash  )  Ta....... 8)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Re: Headlamp Bulbs

Post by guest2360 »

Standard Halogen H7.  Your quite right, wrong wattage bulbs will result in a warning light.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Thanks,  ;) RTMAN10.....
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
iankirkby1

Post by iankirkby1 »

I just changed the H7 low beam on my 2014 rt lc. I was looking for a whiter and brighter light than the factory fitted one. Philips extreme power +130.
It is a bit brighter but not much whiter and certainly no match for the led angel eyes.
Changing it was interesting  - all done by feel - I didn't need to remove any bodywork - just sat on ground on right side of bike and reached up.
steps were -
unscrew cover anticlockwise
ease off push fit plug
Release spring - this was the [size=78%]Hardest bit  - releasing the two sides of the spring clip - push in and sideways + outwards on each side - you can't loose it as its attached at top and swings up but they were both reluctant. One broken nail later and all released![/size]
[size=78%]Ease out bulb.[/size]
[size=78%]Put in new bulb  - it only goes one way and you can see it from the outside for lining up - if its not sitting firmly in its mount then it not in right and the spring [/size]won't[size=78%] go back - mine was still rocking so a bit more fiddling and it seated [/size]properly.
Spring on next but move the plug to side so it doesn't foul spring.
fit plug and cover
all done.
putting it back in was much easier then removing it.

result - well a bit better.

I see some in the states have HID fitted but I'm not a fan of altering spec and running into problems come MOT time.

If anyone can recommend a whiter bulb id be interested to know.

richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

iankirkby1 wrote:

Same here - and welcome to the forum Ian...
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

iankirkby1 wrote:

Same here - and welcome to the forum Ian...