General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

What if you didn't have an RT!

Post by David. »

If you didn't have an RT, what other make/model would you have.

From an appearance point of view, I would certainly look at a Triumph Trophy.

Budman

Re: What if you didn't have an RT!

Post by Budman »

Water cooled 14 or 15 GS
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

I would probably go back to Triumph Tiger, or Trophy. However, did test  GSA  which it  was a split decision with the RT also tested the following GSR1400, Pan European ST1300 (great to ride but expensive for what you get) and FJR1300 and again a very nice bike. So if there was plenty of choice. I went for a nice sunshine ride on my french roads yesterday and conclude I made the right choice I love my RTLC 2014
Pope

Post by Pope »

I've always owned GS's (had 7 of them), so it was a tough choice between the new 1200GSALC and the RTLC....obviously the RT won.

But if i didn't have the RT, then it would definitely be the 2015 GSA. 
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I'm not too keen on the LC RT & don't like GS's, which is why I bought a new (used) 2012 RT last year.

May have to consider a different manufacturer next time I change my bike.

Meanwhile, I'll just have to look after the RT as I really do prefer it over most other makes/models.
Last edited by David. on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

I bounce back and forth between HD and BMW. I passed on a very good deal last Fall on a 2014 Buyback as I just didn't  like the WetHead for some reason. When I rode my '12 and the new bike back to back I liked my CamHead better. Actually a lot better.

I'm going to keep this RT much longer than usual and if BMW doesn't come up with something better suited to me, I'll be looking at other brands again when I get the itch.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Probably the new Yamaha FJR. 1300.  I do like the LC & my wife believes there's better wind protection & a better seat BUT, in hind sight would I trade up again from my Twin Cam? No. Will I replace the LC with another one... not necessarily. I couldn't go for the triumph trophy- my mates had too many electrical faults. Honda VFR looks smart but the bars are too low & panniers too small. ducati multi strada looks the business but I don't want to have a recovery vehicle follow me everywhere. Yamaha fjr seems to tick all the boxes, for me anyway.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Firenailer wrote:I'm going to keep this RT much longer than usual and if BMW doesn't come up with something better suited to me, I'll be looking at other brands again when I get the itch.
I'm thinking along the same lines, look after my current Twin Cam & see what's out there when "push comes to shove".
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I move house next week, into a place with a much narrower garage - and we have to get the car and the bike in.

That may mean no room for the RT, so am looking at something rather slimmer.  VFR1200 maybe?
Chad

Post by Chad »

richardbd wrote: I move house next week, into a place with a much narrower garage - and we have to get the car and the bike in.

That may mean no room for the RT, so am looking at something rather slimmer.  VFR1200 maybe?

There's probably about 3 inches difference. Sell the car.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

richardbd wrote:I move house next week, into a place with a much narrower garage - and we have to get the car and the bike in.

That may mean no room for the RT.
Our garage is reasonably long but narrow, 18' x 8', I use one of these main stand moving plates & put the Bike(s) across the width of the garage.

http://www.boxer-design.de/en/detail.asp?ID=46&pID=435

Last edited by David. on Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

Chad,

I looked at the FJR this year while mulling over the offer on the WetHead. It's a very nice motorcycle and felt really good once out on the road. REALLY, REALLY FAST! It handled beautifully as well. It would make a great Sport Tourer.

The only thing I didn't care for was the weight of it. It reminded me of my old R1200GT. When stopped or putting along at parking lot speed, it's a very Topheavy bike. That used to really annoy me on the "Brick".

All in all, I'm hoping that my CamHead continues to hold up well. I just don't see anything else I'd rather be riding. I had big hopes for the new LC but it didn't do anything for me at all.

I still can't figure THAT out! The reviews sounded so positive, but I didn't care for it very much at all.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Firenailer wrote:All in all, I'm hoping that my CamHead continues to hold up well. I just don't see anything else I'd rather be riding. I had big hopes for the new LC but it didn't do anything for me at all.

I still can't figure THAT out! The reviews sounded so positive, but I didn't care for it very much at all.
Ditto again from me.

As you have said, the disadvantage with the likes of the FJR & Triumph Trophy etc. is that they are generally heavier than an RT.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Firenaioer.  Get hold of another one for a day, you might just change your mind.  I have had 3 air cooled ones 2005/7and 9. The Cam head was always a stop gap model and has very little if any advantages over its predecessor that I could detect. The LC is a works apart. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

Post by Chad »

I had a couple of single cam RT's and never quite took to that lumpy, lethargic engine. Some called them characterful. I call them agricultural. I took a twin cam out on a test ride and felt the difference immediately. Although the figures suggest very little improvement in performance the actual different was huge in my opinion. The engine was a lot more crisp, more responsive, eager to accelerate, was better on low revs- no surging in low gears on low throttle. Quite simply it put a bit of the much needed get up & go in th RT. When I changed from the TC to the LC, I noticed the the difference in power again, but this time with much more refinement and better low down torque. That unfortunately is where the 'real' difference stops in my opinion. Put me on a TC & I'm confident no one on an LC will leave me behind on a twisty road. (Except of course a professional rider). The styling is purely subjective. I prefer the TC looks, my wife prefers the LC. Yes it's styling is contemporaneous, which is what people also said about Geof Bangles new 5 series in 2003, yet that controversial styling was about as popular as a pork pie in a mosque with current BMW owners. Factoring in that BMW have beyond any doubt down grading some of the plastics on the LC, I don't believe all changes are for the better this time round.