Hearing Protection

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Hearing Protection

Post by richardbd »

I tend to alternate.  I have some custom ones but I also use Alpines quite often - especially when I want to be able to hear the music!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Still using cheap industrial foam ones cut in half to halve the cost.  And I can still occasionally hear instructions/orders received from the wife. 
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

I use Howard Leight Laser Lite foam plugs. We started using them at work and they are very comfy, I can easily wear them for a whole day and not have any discomfort at all.
I use them all the time even for the shortest of rides.  You can't put a price on your hearing...
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I use those, buy them online 250 pair about $25US Amazon can be your friend
Even a short ride a pair goes in
Jim
Crater

Post by Crater »

The wind noise on a bike is loud enough to damage your hearing. Add in the effects of age and loss of higher frequencies and problems are inevitable in later life.
I've used fitted plugs for years but still like the disposable plugs too. They are just so convenient. I keep some in my jackets and some in the topbox. Then you never get caught without.
If you want to experiment (and perhaps find something that you can bear to have in your ears) try EarplugsByPost.com. They do a test pack with twenty different types of earplug so you can experiment. I've found some very soft ones which are easy to use and very comfortable (you forget they are there). I'll stock up on them from now on.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Good advice Crater as a Safetyman I find too many people think they are protecting themselves against noise. Without going into H&S mode noise is air pressure and when travelling at speed air (wind pressure) becomes louder than the bike. i.e. 75-80 is about 105Db.

So without using charts and table consider this if you subject your hearing to 110Db for about 30mins you are having unrepairable damage caused which will certainly have an effect as you get older, your choice. Foam ear plugs generally offer about 39Db so that's over your normal defences of 80Db, wake-up those who fell asleep.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Didn't catch that. Can you shout a little louder please.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I use custom made Ultimate Ear plugs. Five years old now and still working fine. Pardon did you say too expensive. Maybe but after 27 years of flying jet aircraft I need all the help I can get. My wife already says I have selective hearing. I tried foam plugs but got fed up with them falling out of my ears when putting on the crash hat. Tried various makes, there OK but prefer the moulded plugs I have now. For me they a super comfortable.
Catfunt

Post by Catfunt »

Use custom plugs with the speakers in for long runs. Foam plugs for commuting - i roll them up real thin and poke them in my lugoles. They expand and fill my ears thus making the RT sound lovely :-)
---- 2013 R1200RT SE ----
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

+1 for Ultimate I use their custom fit, but find they get uncomfortable after a few hours, but that maybe my Shark Evoline being a bit tight with its speakers. Hopefully now that I have my C3 Pro they may feel better as there is a bit more room.