Bike Cleaning Tools and other Favourites

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Spencert231

Re: Bike Cleaning Tools and other Favourites

Post by Spencert231 »

Well after much deliberation, stalling and shall I or shan't I. I have invested in an Air Force Master Blaster not the Side Kick the next one up £163 big outlay for a valleting tool. However, it will dry the car, blow dead grass off the tractor and topper and blow the burnt residue out of the flue of my pellet burner. Well that was the list of things I gave the missus to justify buying it, but it will probably be used only on the bike  :silence:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I'm sure you are wise enough to keep it well clear of wheel bearing seals, brake callipers, switch gear, instruments and those bits of injection things on top of the pots. Sounds a very useful bit of kit except for that. 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Spencer I don't think you will regret buying an Airforce Blaster. It is the only way in Winter when its cold and damp to really dry a bike, removing water from all the impossible recesses that would otherwise sit there and cause corrosion. I have had mine for about 5 or 6 years and have had zero problems and zero corrosion. It works really well on delicate areas that are prone to scratching, such as instrument panel and windshield. When I had my 08 GS it was the only way to remove the water sitting in the cylinder head cooling fins. You would be amazed how much water sits there. Its good at drying brake callipers and discs which results in little to none pads to disc lockup. Drawbacks only one its loud. Precautions, keep hold of the outlet pipe before turning on, otherwise it will fly all over the place and don't aim at anything loose.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

As used by All Year Biker & recommended by Cooper BMW Sunderland.

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Well it's been dispatched from the states really exited about it always wanted one but to be honest the price kept putting me off, but loads of other jobs for it to be used on I got 3 dogs and 5 acres so you guessed it they are not clean for very long  :)) .

Well guys I go into hospital Tuesday night for surgery to see if they can remove the prostate cancer, my motivation to get better quickly, I wanna use the Air Blaster :clap:
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Best wishes and a speedy `RT' ,  recovery Spencert231  ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Spencer all the best for Tuesday. Just keep thinking about driving the RT round your favourite bend. I'm sure all will be good and you will be back out there getting your RT all mucky so you have an excuse to play with your Blaster.
Chad

Post by Chad »

I washed my bike today using the recommended Castrol Greentec cleaner. Rinsed it off with a low pressure washer, then leathered it all off. When Iwent to put it in the garage later on I noticed a white residue in a few places. Mostly on the black plastics. Has anyone else noticed this? Evidently I haven't rinsed it well enough but I haven't noticed this before
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Chad wrote: I washed my bike today using the recommended Castrol Greentec cleaner. Rinsed it off with a low pressure washer, then leathered it all off. When Iwent to put it in the garage later on I noticed a white residue in a few places. Mostly on the black plastics. Has anyone else noticed this? Evidently I haven't rinsed it well enough but I haven't noticed this before

Bummer, hope it's not too damaging. I must have missed Herr BMW's recommended cleaner. I have used Muc Off on all of my bikes including push bikes and never a problem. I know some on here don't like the stuff, but if the recommended stuff damages plastic, where do we go next. I just had shipped out a 5ltr Tub of Muc Off total £47 or something close to that so every /250mls gives me a litre of spray on wash off magic. If I bought the same ready to use stuff over here it would cost me around €15-20 you do the maths, but it safes me a bob or two.  Just need to get up and wash the bike now.
Fred smith

Post by Fred smith »

I use a product called "Simple Green".  It comes as a spray. It likes the environment and it works. I spray it on and let it sit for a moment and spray it off. No harsh reaction to components on my bike and it smells great.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Spencert231 wrote:
Bummer, hope it's not too damaging. I must have missed Herr BMW's recommended cleaner. I have used Muc Off on all of my bikes including push bikes and never a problem. I know some on here don't like the stuff, but if the recommended stuff damages plastic, where do we go next. I just had shipped out a 5ltr Tub of Muc Off total £47 or something close to that so every /250mls gives me a litre of spray on wash off magic. If I bought the same ready to use stuff over here it would cost me around €15-20 you do the maths, but it safes me a bob or two.  Just need to get up and wash the bike now.
I've used much off previously & had no issues, however the Castrol cleaner is better in my opinion, once it's spayed on it turns to a thickish, clingy substance so doesn't evaporate as quickly. It takes more rinsing to get it off but it does shift the dirt- brake dust, road kill, bird cacka etc. and I don't seem to use as much of it!
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Chad I will make a note of that and when the muc-off has gone try the Castrol Cleaner :ninja: wax on wax off
markradtke17

Post by markradtke17 »

One product that I can strongly recommend for daily or weekly cleaning is a product called BUGSLIDE.

The web address is:  http://www.bugslide.com/

BUGSLIDE is a Premium, Non-Abrasive, Waterless Cleaner,
Polish, Bug Remover and Protectant.
[size=13px]  [/size]
[size=13px]
[/size]

[size=13px]
[/size]

2015 BMW R 1200 RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

For those who do use Muc-Off, how about this for a deal from M&P, https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/muc-of ... 507429-x-4