Stebel replacement horn

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
BeeJay

Stebel replacement horn

Post by BeeJay »

I want to fit my Stebel Nautilus horn that I had on my previous bike.
I know that I can't just connect it to the original horn wiring because the current drain is greater than the OEM horn.
I was thinking of connecting the original two wires to a relay, run a direct, fused, lead from the battery to the relay and then from the relay to the Nautilus. I know that I have to make a bracket to position the horn.
Now the problem, I have been told that unless the power drain from the relay is the same as the original horn, the CanBus will detect a "fault".
Is that correct or will my original plane work? I need to change the horn pdq as I like the safety and effect that sounding a "proper" horn has on errant drivers.
Thanks
P.S. Love the RT.  ;D
After 12 years of Honda V4s it makes a refreshing change.
Steveeung

Re: Stebel replacement horn

Post by Steveeung »

Hi Barry I had a Stebel Magnum horn (provided by me) fitted to my LC at Motorrad North Oxford today and it works fine. It draws about 6A. I'm told of you fit twins you would need a relay. No one mentioned Canbus problems.
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
Chad

Post by Chad »

Can the stebel magnum horn be fitted on the existing wires then?
The standard horn on the LC is pathetic. I'm embarrassed to use it.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Thanks, I think I'll check the current drain with the existing horn and the Steibel. That should give me an idea whether I need to fit a relay or not.

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

And another that leads you down some other places

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/u ... ber=916360

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Spencert231 wrote: And another that leads you down some other places

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=916360

Obviously with a bit of time on my hands also came across this http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/7 ... stuff.html
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

Chad yes the single magnum horn can. The dual version needs a relay so will probably also have a heavier guage feed but I'm not sure. The single definitely works on existing wiring but a change of connector (twin spade connectors needed for the magnum).
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

Just replaced the Stiebel Magnum horn with the following on my LE - fantastic difference - frightens car drivers!

http://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/B ... -Horn.html

1x 11690120 - Nautilus Horn
Price: 43,80 EUR / Total: 43,80 EUR

1x 1169012R12RTLC - Mounting and wiring
Price: 49,60 EUR / Total: 49,60 EUR

Shipping costs: 13,90 EUR

Don't order the bigger version - it wont physically fit

Last edited by Steveeung on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ppalac

Post by ppalac »

I too was looking to re-use my old Stebel Nautilus and install it on the RT LC.

After reviewing the options, I conceded and acquired a new Hornig kit that included the mounting hardware and relay.  Aside from being short an in-line fuse, the kit was very appreciated.  It included install instructions with photos.

I ended up wiring up to a 20 amp circuit on a PDM60 (power distribution module).  The fit was tight and for me took some patience to un-bolt the old horn as well as figure out what I thought would be best hide the wires.
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

Are you saying the fuse was missing from its holder or the kit came without any inline fuse or holder i.e. not part of the design?
ppalac

Post by ppalac »

Steveeung wrote: Are you saying the fuse was missing from its holder or the kit came without any inline fuse or holder i.e. not part of the design?

It's the latter.  The kit I acquired didn't include an in-line fuse holder which seems appropriate for the setup.
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

Hi Barry,
I know I'm way late to this discussion and you have probably figured out your preferred hook up. The way you originally wrote it up, there would be no CAN-BUS involvement. Just as an aside, if you can find a 2 piece horn (sound bomb) it is generally much easier to install in tight spaces. Additionally, having the tubing running from compressor to horn allows for a bit of delay when first hitting the horn button. The delay is determined by tube length and can be adjusted by shortening it. This is only applicable if you want to keep the Beep-Beep stock horn as well. I understand that if you use power from the stock horn to the Stebel relay, the CAN-BUS won't care. I will let you know within a few weeks, when I get to wire mine.
Stay safe,
Oh the places we will go
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Chad wrote: Can the stebel magnum horn be fitted on the existing wires then?
The standard horn on the LC is pathetic. I'm embarrassed to use it.
Yes, not a problem. I recently fitted the Magnum horn on my 2015 RT, and mounted it exactly where the OEM pip squeaker was fitted. I already had a can bus wiring loom adapter (from Nippy Normans) which just plugs straight in the bike's horn connector. Very straightforward and works a treat.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

SteveF
Can you supply us with the model number of your installed horn
I bought the horning kit that was supposed to fit the 15 model, after many conversations with Sierra Bmw
Including pictures, it was agreed it wouldn't fit
Would love a straight replacement
Thanks
Jim
Jim