Newbie !! Needs help !!!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Mickthecat

Re: Newbie !! Needs help !!!

Post by Mickthecat »

After a bit of digging the electrical culprit may well be a hall sensor.

Has anyone had any experience of these failing & subsequent repair ?.

Regards

Mike
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Very occasionally.  Your main problem might be getting the old one out.
Mickthecat

Post by Mickthecat »

Levisp wrote: Mickthecat looks like you have some work to do. Are you an experienced bike mechanic or is this your first project ? From what you have said your not familiar with this model so I guess a good starting point would be to get hold of a good workshop manual. This would give you an idea of whats involved in sorting mechanical issues and help with servicing the bike. Looks from the condition it needs some TLC. The minimum would be a full service including brakes. Maybe some of the forum members here who have experience with the 11RT could point you to some good fettling websites. I'm sure there must be some good "how to" sites about. Hope you have fun.

Your right , I'm not familiar with this bike but am pretty competent. I enjoy a challenge. I Have an ultrasonic cleaning & vapour blasting busines so I can  scrub parts up pretty well.

I'm just putting the final bits to this. A 1200 bandit donor bike in a custom frame. Just an electrical issue to sort out & she'll be good to go .....I hope .

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Your the Man Mickthecat. When I saw the original pics of the 1100rt I thought this guy is either insane of he knows what he is doing thankfully the latter. Don't forget to look the screen, switch the extractor on and wear your BA system lol hey it beats rubbing the crap off.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Spencert231 wrote: Your the Man Mickthecat. When I saw the original pics of the 1100rt I thought this guy is either insane of he knows what he is doing thankfully the latter....

My thoughts too. Your obviously not insane it will be interesting how you get on. Good luck with the project.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

+ 1      ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Mickthecat

Post by Mickthecat »

Well I made a start !!.

Plastics off & alternator pulley cover not looking decidedly healthy. At some point there's been some sort of heat damage that's melted through the cover exposing the Hall effect sensor to the elements. By the look of the rust on the lower section it would appear to have been like that for some time.
These things are pretty expensive to replace so after advice I'll be rigging up a testing device to see if it is actually defective before ordering a new one.
New battery ordered. Drain the old fuel this week.

Happy days !!!

Mickthecat

Post by Mickthecat »

She's alive !!!!!

Hall sensor replaced, new battery, fresh fuel & bingo !!!.

I'm not holding my breath though until a decent road test but fingers crossed. 

Some pics of the filth I inherited lol. Short video also. Got the calipers off to ultrasonically clean, vapour blast & service then a major clean up of the rest of the bike.

[img]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk191/mickthecat/th_IMG_0646_zpsng0l7yoa.mp4

Budman

Post by Budman »

Way cool project but you are a far braver man than I am.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

You must be a Jedi Knight  :vader: 
Mickthecat

Post by Mickthecat »

Well after much work she's about ready. I haven't gone to the extremes of a full rebuild but got the bike to an acceptable standard for this year.

Fresh fuel
Replacement hall sensor & pulley cover
New battery
Fixed the seat lock mechanism
Wheels removed, vapour blasted & lacquered
Calipers Ultrasonically cleaned & vapour blasted.
New used front mudguard ( turned up the  same colour lol)
Cleaned injectors
I reset the ABS system & it looks like that's functional too ! Result.

Just got the fluids to replace & think I'll invest in a set of braided lines up front....oh & a decent topbox set up. 

Discs are worn so I'll be looking at replacing them at some point.
[size=78%]
[/size]
looking forward now  to some trips out this year  8)    [size=78%]I've done a few euro trips but  not on anything as comfy as this !!![/size]

Cheers

Mick

stelyn

Post by stelyn »

What a difference,  nice one Mick -  just goes to show what a bit of hard work and determination can achieve
;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

stelyn wrote: What a difference,  nice one Mick -  just goes to show what a bit of hard work and determination can achieve
;)
I agree with stelyn, with one addition 'skill' oh how I wish :clap:
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

+1 that looks like two different bikes. I take my hat off to you. Could you explain what exactly vapour blasting is ? I've seen sand blasting but not vapour blasting.
Mickthecat

Post by Mickthecat »

Levisp wrote: +1 that looks like two different bikes. I take my hat off to you. Could you explain what exactly vapour blasting is ? I've seen sand blasting but not vapour blasting.

Vapour blasting or wetblasting as it's also known uses water ,compressed air & fine media to form a slurry that cleans alloy & other non ferrous metals. It doesn't affect the substrate at all unlike dry blasting.

It's what we do.  We can refurbish carbs, calipers,  wheels, engine cases etc. we also carry out ultrasonic cleaning of carbs , injectors etc.

See links below ( admin if this isn't appropriate then please delete ).

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Park-Surface-Finishing/1493011857597243?ref=hl

Www.park-sf.co.uk

Regards

Mike

Last edited by Mickthecat on Thu May 28, 2015 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.